• ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ...at least for a while.

I traded in my AR15 (Actually a Bushmaster XM15-E2S) a couple of weeks ago. A coworker of mine recommended checking out Elmore's in Greenwood. Well, it's quite a way out of the way for me, but definitely worth the drive! I was impressed by their selection of not only guns, but parts and accessories as well. After buying a couple of 1911 parts from them I decided to step up and buy a rifle.

They had a very nice Springfield M1A Scout Squad that just had to come home with me. The Bushy will be missed, but since I also have a Sig556, it didn't really leave a huge hole in the collection.

Here's a pic:

FourGuns.jpg

If I ever go back to the AR15 platform I think I'm going to get a Colt, probably in 20", with A1 hardware to give it a more classic look and feel...

Anyway, I hope to get out to the rifle range soon (hopefully this weekend), I'll let you know how it goes!

-Paul

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice M1A, I love me some M1A. I too have had good experiences with Elmores, my father has been buying guns from Russ for quite sometime.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    agree with Actaeon, you can have both. I do want an M1A as well to add to my collection. I also wouldn't mind getting a better grade AR as well. Can never have too many quality firearms in the collection.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love the M1A. It "Feels" like a rifle in your hands. I have, er, some, around here someplace. Lol.... ;)

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Nice acquisition there PaulF. I've had a hankerin' for an M1A lately but life seems to have other plans for me right now (new tires for the truck, fix the clothes washer, etc.)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    You did good. The Scout is a fine choice.
    I've been carrying an AR15 very little for the last few months in favor of a short barrel M1A.
    Grease her up good and sling some lead.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    For a semi auto .308 battle rifle, I would want something a bit lighter and more versatile. For target and long ranges where you aren't moving around a lot, it's ok. I like the SIG rifles, but the ARs just have more options

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    An M1A is a bit hefty, not mention the loaded mags. I don't mind the weight.
    I just prefer the. 30 cal. for the added oomph.
    I have a 16" AR15 that weighs as much as a Socom 16 due to all the attached gadgets.
    Heck an M1 Carbine weighs well over 6# with a loaded 15 round mag.
    An M1A with an Ultimak will allow you easily mount an optic and a light. That's all I need.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Sig556 is a fine AR substitute for me. I have it equipped with my Eotech, and it takes the same magazines and ammo as the AR, plus it's a gas-piston design similar to the operating system of an AK-pattern rifle. A nice plus is that it's a little different from the ARs that all my buddies have.

I have nothing against the AR platform, and I will probably get another one when the budget allows...as was stated above: you can never have too many quality rifles.

I am really smitten with the M1A, but I never seem to be able to save up enough...life has a way if siphoning away my "new rifle account" before it gets to the M1A level, but the trade got me close enough to make the expense reasonable.

I would really like to get an ArmaLite SP-1 or a genuine Colt with A1 hardware, but they can also get expensive, so I'll have to lean on my Sig556 for a while...

...I'm also looking for an International Harvester M1 Garand complete, or stripped receiver, as they were made in Evansville, and I think that is wicked cool.

I've also been tempted to get into the M1 Carbine.

Maybe a FAL. Or an 03A3.

Or maybe a Colt SAA.

Whatever it is, there won't be a trade next time...so full boat (or used) for me!

-Paul

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    The Sig556 is a fine AR substitute for me. I have it equipped with my Eotech, and it takes the same magazines and ammo as the AR, plus it's a gas-piston design similar to the operating system of an AK-pattern rifle. A nice plus is that it's a little different from the ARs that all my buddies have.

I have nothing against the AR platform, and I will probably get another one when the budget allows...as was stated above: you can never have too many quality rifles.

I am really smitten with the M1A, but I never seem to be able to save up enough...life has a way if siphoning away my "new rifle account" before it gets to the M1A level, but the trade got me close enough to make the expense reasonable.

I would really like to get an ArmaLite SP-1 or a genuine Colt with A1 hardware, but they can also get expensive, so I'll have to lean on my Sig556 for a while...

...I'm also looking for an International Harvester M1 Garand complete, or stripped receiver, as they were make in Evansville, and I think that is wicked cool.

I've also been tempted to get into the M1 Carbine.

Maybe a FAL. Or an 03A3.

Or maybe a Colt SAA.

Whatever it is, there won't be a trade next time...so full boat (or used) for me!

-Paul

Great weapons on the wish list. And I know what you mean about life has a way of draining the gun account. Good luck on it, and hope we can all find that money tree in our backyards soon

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I parted out my m4 and traded for a FAL, mags, ammo, and cash. Loved my m4 but wanted a 7.62. After shooting it, I dont regret it one bit.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I parted out my m4 and traded for a FAL, mags, ammo, and cash. Loved my m4 but wanted a 7.62. After shooting it, I dont regret it one bit.

I do want a 7.62 as well, I was thinking more the SCAR, as I already have the SCAR 16 myself. Although, I am REALLY wanting an M1A as well.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I too want an m1a, but they always cost way more than I want to spend (I guess that's one reason the army didn't stick with the m14 battle rifle). Fine gun though.

I saw a Colt SP1/A1 at the gun show for only $8,000 :).

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the SIG rifles, but the ARs just have more options

You're not kidding there! There are TONS of accessories and upgrades available for the AR-pattern rifles...not so much for the Sig556. Only a couple of companies make Quad-Rail fore-ends for it (Star and Troy...no cheapies.), and Hogue didn't even have a grip for it (last I checked, anyway)!

There's just something about the Sig556, though...it is a smile-producing machine for sure!

-Paul

Top Bottom