• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ok here it is. I always practice off of a bench. If my guns are on then I know its only my fault. The last two deer I have shot, I have shot off hand. I never practice it but I want to start. I notice I "shake" horribly, just cant seem to hold steady. I know its not possible to hold rock steady off hand, but I am asking to yall, what techniques/tricks/practicing can I do to improve my off hand shooting. :dunno:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Shoot a hell of a lot more off hand!

You practice shooting off hand often, after a run, after a fast hike, get you pulse going, drop to the position, take a few deep breaths to steady yourself, get on target and firmly press the trigger, and call the shot.

The longer you try and hold the shot, the worse it gets. Get on target, send the round. Take a run, repeat.

Get your snap caps or a private range, and get shooting.

I practice off-hand, kneeling, and mostly off of my hiking staff, which is always with me in the mountains.

Good luck!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I practice my offhand in my basement. I put a 1 inch square black target paster on a piece of paper and dry fire on it with my Highpower competition rifle. It looks to be about 30 feet away as I look up from my computer.

I probably dry fire 500 times for every round that actually goes down range......And that is not just offhand, also sitting and prone.

Quality trigger time makes for a proficient and confident shooter.

Last edited:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I practice alot without even shooting, you can even do it inside. Just pick an object out a window and try to hold your sights on it. (Make sure it's unloaded.)

Practice holding it on target while you are breathing. Yes the gun will move as you breathe, but you can compensate by the amount of pressure you put on your shoulder.

Firmly push the stock into your shoulder.
    I don't grip the gun tightly with my right hand, just enough to pull the trigger.

Relax any muscles that aren't needed to hold the gun.

Position your feet and torso, so when you bring the gun up, it naturally falls on the target. If you have to twist a little to get on target, your using more muscles than you need to, and that can cause more movement.

Finally inhale, and let just a little air out, and pull the trigger. (I don't have snap-caps, so I don't pull the trigger unless I'm actually shooting.)

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    12 yr old shot off-hand today at Atterbury, putting them in nice tight pattern.

He did it by:
    1: wrapping his upper arm into the sling, feet apart, slight bend forward
    2: brings rifle butt into his shoulder, upper part of support arm rests against the chest
    3: support hand is just that, support. lower arm and hand muscles relaxed, fingers laid open
    4: steady exhale as site picture reveals target, stop the exhale.........slow steady squeeze to the rear on the trigger
    5: follow through. slowly let off the trigger, keep eye on scope, finds his shot, chamber another round and lower the rifle to relax the arms for another shot.

He was shooting his Remington 770 .243Win

Last edited:

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    12 yr old shot off-hand today at Atterbury, putting them in nice tight pattern.

He did it by:
    1: wrapping his upper arm into the sling, feet apart, slight bend forward
    2: brings rifle butt into his shoulder, upper part of support arm rests against the chest
    4: support hand is just that, support. lower arm and hand muscles relaxed, fingers laid open
    5: steady exhale as site picture reveals target, stop the exhale.........slow steady squeeze to the rear on the trigger
    6: follow through. slowly let off the trigger, keep eye on scope, finds his shot, chamber another round and lower the rifle to relax the arms for another shot.

He was shooting his Remington 770 .243Win

cool kid:rockwoot: Offhand takes alot of practice to be proficient in the skill, i have not become proficient yet.

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    He's been shooting real guns since November last year, air rifles for a couple years. Here's his first time shooting at Friday Night Steel at MCF&G last month:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23A3fWN2gq4&feature=related"]YouTube - Alex shooting Friday Night Steel[/ame]

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I notice I "shake" horribly, just cant seem to hold steady. ...but I am asking to yall, what techniques/tricks/practicing can I do to improve my off hand shooting.

You will need to use your off-hand more througout the day. You also might want to use those squeeze work out things that help build forearm strengh.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    If you really want to practice keeping yourself steady, use a laser sight (might be worth paying the rental+range fee at some point to do this).. wow they really show you how much you move, especially on dry fire where you can really focus on any movement caused by your trigger pull.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

+1!!
    I use a Stoney Point Monopod, it helps in the up and down hiking (easier on the knees), and I can adjust quickly for a standing or kneeling shot quickly. It also is used for glassing all day when I am out West.

The expedition model Extends from 35" to 65", and has a single turn lock that is very strong. I have a v-yoke at the top, which can be uncrewed for a binocular or camera to attach.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Impossible to be rock steady offhand

My best advice is to dry fire like others have said. The Gentleman that first instructed me in offhand for service rifle compettion stressed "natural point of aim", and don't try to hold rock steady, because you are going to move. Your breathing and heartbeat will give you a natural rythm to the movement of you rifle, sometimes this will be like making a figure 8. Learn to go with the movement, and learn to break the shot as the sight crosses your target, what ever that may be. He was a former Marine Corps Sniper Instructor, so I try to use his advice. Good luck. Getting into Service rifle comp might help too!

Last edited:

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    My best advice is to dry fire like others have said. The Gentleman that first instructed me in offhand for service rifle compettion stressed "natural point of aim", and don't try to hold rock steady, because you are going to move. Your breathing and heartbeat will give you a natural rythm to the movement of you rifle, sometimes this will be like making a figure 8. Learn to go with the movement, and learn to break the shot as the sight crosses your target, what ever that may be. He was a former Marine Corps Sniper Instructor, so I try to use his advice. Good luck. Getting into Service rifle comp might help too!
    This is great advice. It is how we were taught in the Marines. We did a lot of dry firing as well, just as many others have stated before. I can never hold steady, but I know (usually :):) where to squeeze the trigger as I breathe, to hit the target. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    Marines spend an entire week of dry firing before going to a week at the range, we call it "snap-in" week. They will surround a white barrel painted white with little targets on it and spend an extraordinary amount of time dry firing at it.

Snap-in-Barrel pictures from military photos on webshots

This week also covers basic marksmanship skills such as sight alignment, sight picture, sight adjustment, data book, ...

Last edited:

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Good time to think about a good quality air rifle and a bullet trap of some kind. Pellets are relatively cheap, and the practice can pay off big time......:@ya: ...Duce<><

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Ok...I invited him to an Appleseed. We have a "mini" coming up in July at Cloverdale. This would be a good time to check out the program, as well as brush up on your rifle skills. All shooters are welcome, no matter what level you shoot at, whether beginner or a salty old coot like me.

Top Bottom