• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It sounds like the cop did everything he could to mitigate a bad situation caused by circumstances completely beyond his control. It is a shame that it ended as it did, but nevertheless, it is hard to expect much more than deliberately taking risk of bodily injury plus guaranteed damage to his bike. I would not expect anyone to passively accept physical assault from two individuals without protecting himself. Under other potential circumstances, I may be a whole lot less sympathetic, but it is certainly not his fault that a youngster ran out into the road, and I fail to see what more he could have done other than clairvoyantly seeing the incident and staying in bed that day.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    It sounds like the cop did everything he could to mitigate a bad situation caused by circumstances completely beyond his control. It is a shame that it ended as it did, but nevertheless, it is hard to expect much more than deliberately taking risk of bodily injury plus guaranteed damage to his bike. I would not expect anyone to passively accept physical assault from two individuals without protecting himself. Under other potential circumstances, I may be a whole lot less sympathetic, but it is certainly not his fault that a youngster ran out into the road, and I fail to see what more he could have done other than clairvoyantly seeing the incident and staying in bed that day.

I'm not sure about beyond his control, he should have been in control of the motorcycle.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm not sure about beyond his control, he should have been in control of the motorcycle.

From the article:

He was riding north on First Avenue in Maywood near Madison Street when he saw a girl dart into the street. To avoid striking the girl, the officer purposely ditched his motorcycle, putting it down on its side on the pavement, according to a statement from Maywood village spokesman Larry Shapiro.

When you say "he should have been in control of the motorcycle," are you saying he should have let it impact the girl at full force and tried to keep it from going down?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

That argument gets very tired. Being in reasonable control of a vehicle and having a level of control that requires godhood are two entirely different things. For example, most of the black marks you see in front of stoplights are there because of the f***ing moron in Indianapolis that refuses to deviate from the book written by the f***ing moron in Washington who set up the duration on yellow lights based on absolutely ideal conditions that don't happen in the real world, and then fall back on that same tired argument. In much the same way, other than sitting on the motorcycle in the driveway at a dead stop, there really isn't any practical way to compensate for a pedestrian suddenly appearing from a concealed location without warning or adequate room to adjust. Our cop on the bike didn't even get an inadequately short yellow light, just the sudden appearance of a child in front of him.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Middleton's sister, Tina Middleton, said her brother lived in Elgin with the mother of his daughter and was visiting relatives in Maywood, where he grew up. "He was a good person," she said. "I know for sure he wasn't out to harm the man. My brother would never harm anybody. I could understand him [the officer] being upset, but two wrongs don't make a right."

Anyone else see this coming a mile away?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    That argument gets very tired. Being in reasonable control of a vehicle and having a level of control that requires godhood are two entirely different things. For example, most of the black marks you see in front of stoplights are there because of the f***ing moron in Indianapolis that refuses to deviate from the book written by the f***ing moron in Washington who set up the duration on yellow lights based on absolutely ideal conditions that don't happen in the real world, and then fall back on that same tired argument. In much the same way, other than sitting on the motorcycle in the driveway at a dead stop, there really isn't any practical way to compensate for a pedestrian suddenly appearing from a concealed location without warning or adequate room to adjust. Our cop on the bike didn't even get an inadequately short yellow light, just the sudden appearance of a child in front of him.
    I know indiana is not this way , but you realise in some states if you hit a pedestrian with any motor vehicle you are automatically at fault.
    Because you were not in complete control of you vehicle.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "In summary, off duty carry is a must in today's day and age. This event could have ended much differently..."

"You're busted up and two assh**es start kicking the crap out of you, deadly force in play here, bang. Self defense even for John Q public legally armed. End of story."

"Sounds similar to an incident in FL, beating followed by a shooting in self defense...."

Fellas I wanted to point out the comments made by the LEOs, the article isnt really the focus. Giovani, lets stay on topic.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't find fault with the off-duty police officers actions, as described. I do think far too many of the comments at policeone.com demonstrate a mentality that shouldn't be present in our law enforcement community. It's a pretty tragic incident, regardless.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Luckily he was a cop and had the privilege of defending himself with a firearm, had it been any of us we would have been defenseless or going to jail for illegal use of a weapon. other than that the cop did what any one would do.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I love to rip on the cops whenever it's called for but let's try this, "Unemployed plumber strikes girl , takes beating"...... No, wait, how about "Indian Chief strikes girl, takes beating...... Or maybe "Franciscan Nun strikes girl"......

Are we still angry at the driver if these had been the storylines? My first reaction is that it is a tragic series of events. Upon reflection though I am seeing a pattern emerging.... Parents Don't teach kids about traffic, parent doesn't supervise kid, parent irresponsibly attacks an accident victim. parent cant contain himself even after initial emotional reaction and recruits help to continue an unwarranted attack.

It is tragic that the kid was hurt and the dad was was killed. The fact that the officer was off-duty is indication that his status as an officer is immaterial to the circumstance.

Benny said it true, nothing much here to see.

Top Bottom