• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just got back from one of the most frustrating range trips I've had. This week, I bought a brand new Glock 19 with the Exo or NibX finish. This is to match my Glock 23, which has been one of the best guns I've ever owned. The first outing with the new Glock did not go well.

My plan was to just run a box of reloads through it just to get the feel of it and make sure all was working well. First magazine loaded and I attempt to drop the slide. The round does not chamber, but gets a FTF instead. Odd, I thought. Must be a bad round. I drop the mag and dump the round and the second does the same thing. I clear that and the third chambers. First round stovepipes. Second round fails to extract. Third round stovepipes. Fourth round FTF. It went that way through 30 rounds. In that 30 rounds, I think I had 3 that functioned correctly. I tried both factory mags with the same results.

I saved the last 20 rounds to check them in a case gauge. All gauged perfectly once I got home. This is my standard 9mm recipe of 5.7g AA#5 under a 124g Powerbond plated bullet. I've shot thousands of rounds of this ammo through my CZ 75s with no problems at all. This was the last box of a batch I ran in September, which means it was the first box off the press that night. The reloads are done on a Dillon 550 and have worked very well in the past.

My plan is to take it out one more time with commercial ammo as well as taking my CZ 75 Compact along to check the last 20 rounds of the reloads from today's trip. I've disassembled the G19 and nothing looks out of the ordinary. After buying it, I disassembed, cleaned and lightly polished the contact points in the gun. This is exactly the same as I did with my G23, G27, G29 and G20. I was very sparing with lube on reassembly, with only a tiny drop on the point where the disconnector and trigger bar make contact. My understanding is that the Exo or NibX finished need no lube in other areas.

I'm really surprised by this first experience with the G19. This is supposed to be one of the best guns in Glocks lineup and for it to completely fail on it's first trip out is really odd. In the 5 Glocks I've bought in the last year, I've had two that had issues. My G29 would not drop mags free and did not like to reset until I took a stone to the area where the trigger bar was catching on a rough spot on the slide. If I had never heard of Glock before and this was my first experience with them, I'd write them off as cheap POS plastic guns and go back to the CZ and 1911 family. But, my G23 is one of my all time favorite guns and has become my standard carry gun 90% of the time. It's been flawless from the start and I expected no less from the G19.

Maybe I need to schedule a class with James Yeager. It might be fun to see him rationalize the Glock failure while I complete the class with my still flawless compact Kimber 1911.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Sounds like you have a good plan, just like you mention try commercial ammo and if at all possible two or three brands as some guns would not like specific brand.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    If I can be of any help or you want to compare it with my 19 let me know.. I"ll be behind the counter all day Sunday at USDS and I would love to look it over to see if I can figure out what is going on.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I can be of any help or you want to compare it with my 19 let me know.. I"ll be behind the counter all day Sunday at USDS and I would love to look it over to see if I can figure out what is going on.

I was planning on bringing it in tomorrow to see about a set of std night sights for it anyway. I appreciate you and Jon offering to check it out for me. I think I may wait to see what happens with the commercial ammo and how my CZ handles the remainder of that box. I'm hoping it's just a bad box but am guessing that the ammo was Ok. I've shot 450 rounds out of that same batch without issue in my CZs and would really not expect a Glock to be finicky with ammo.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I saved the last 20 rounds to check them in a case gauge. All gauged perfectly once I got home. This is my standard 9mm recipe of 5.7g AA#5 under a 124g Powerbond plated bullet.

If it drops into the gauge fine, I would also suspect it would drop properly into your chamber but have you verified this ? The gauge is a good tool that can show issues with the crimp and sizing issues, but won't always show if you might have an issue with an odd bullet profile making contact with the lands... Also, the gauge could be on the larger size of the tolerance while your chamber on the tighter...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I was planning on bringing it in tomorrow to see about a set of std night sights for it anyway. I appreciate you and Jon offering to check it out for me. I think I may wait to see what happens with the commercial ammo and how my CZ handles the remainder of that box. I'm hoping it's just a bad box but am guessing that the ammo was Ok. I've shot 450 rounds out of that same batch without issue in my CZs and would really not expect a Glock to be finicky with ammo.

I'm teaching a NRA basic pistol course tomorrow but I'll be there Sunday. Not sure how much time I"ll have since Matt and I will be behind the counter but I'd be interested to take a look at it.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm teaching a NRA basic pistol course tomorrow but I'll be there Sunday. Not sure how much time I"ll have since Matt and I will be behind the counter but I'd be interested to take a look at it.
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

That's fine. I'll probably run some ammo through it this week and will stop by next Saturday if you're going to be around.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just got back from another range trip with the G19 and am still trying to figure this thing out. I took the rest of the box of ammo that failed, a box of practice SD ammo I had loaded and a box of commercial. I also took my CZ 75 Compact for comparison. The Glock 19 ran the commercial ammo flawlessly. The CZ ran the reloads flawlessly. I held back the last 5 rounds of reloads to try through the Glock, thinking maybe it was just a break in issue or something, but no, it choked on the very first one. The CZ ran the remainder just fine. The Glock also ran the SD reloads fine as well. Those are from a batch that I worked up with Hornady XTPs and run on the hot side of 9mm.

Two things continue to plague the G19 though. First, it ejects very weakly. The empty case would be ejected maybe 6 inches straight up and fall back on either my wrists or the gun. While that makes it easy to find brass, it worries me. I had my G23 with me, so I swapped the recoil springs and there was no difference. The second, and more worrisome issue is that I found half way through shooting the commercial ammo that if I dry fired the gun, the trigger would not reset. I had to pull the trigger back forward. It worked fine while shooting, but if I dry fire, it hangs.

Right now, I'm wondering if the Exo finish is not pushing things out of spec or at least close to the spec. I'll get my ball gauges and micrometer out and see how the CZ and the G19 bores compare. They feel very similar when checking with a dummy round, but the gauges should be more accurate.

On the bright side, when the gun was running, I liked it a lot. I don't think it will ever favorably compare to the CZ 75 in any measure except weight, but if I can get it to run reliably, it will make a good pistol for my wife. While the performance so far has been disappointing, it does show that any manufacturer can produce a lemon. I have confidence that it will work in the end, but right now, I'm having trouble seeing the Glock Perfection in this. I have never had a pistol give me this much trouble. The next closest was a Walther PPK, but that one could get through some rounds before failing. My 1911s have been near perfect and my CZs have been perfect except for a bad reaction to FrogLube.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just got back from another range trip with the G19 and am still trying to figure this thing out. I took the rest of the box of ammo that failed, a box of practice SD ammo I had loaded and a box of commercial. I also took my CZ 75 Compact for comparison. The Glock 19 ran the commercial ammo flawlessly. The CZ ran the reloads flawlessly. I held back the last 5 rounds of reloads to try through the Glock, thinking maybe it was just a break in issue or something, but no, it choked on the very first one. The CZ ran the remainder just fine. The Glock also ran the SD reloads fine as well. Those are from a batch that I worked up with Hornady XTPs and run on the hot side of 9mm.

Two things continue to plague the G19 though. First, it ejects very weakly. The empty case would be ejected maybe 6 inches straight up and fall back on either my wrists or the gun. While that makes it easy to find brass, it worries me. I had my G23 with me, so I swapped the recoil springs and there was no difference. The second, and more worrisome issue is that I found half way through shooting the commercial ammo that if I dry fired the gun, the trigger would not reset. I had to pull the trigger back forward. It worked fine while shooting, but if I dry fire, it hangs.

Right now, I'm wondering if the Exo finish is not pushing things out of spec or at least close to the spec. I'll get my ball gauges and micrometer out and see how the CZ and the G19 bores compare. They feel very similar when checking with a dummy round, but the gauges should be more accurate.

On the bright side, when the gun was running, I liked it a lot. I don't think it will ever favorably compare to the CZ 75 in any measure except weight, but if I can get it to run reliably, it will make a good pistol for my wife. While the performance so far has been disappointing, it does show that any manufacturer can produce a lemon. I have confidence that it will work in the end, but right now, I'm having trouble seeing the Glock Perfection in this. I have never had a pistol give me this much trouble. The next closest was a Walther PPK, but that one could get through some rounds before failing. My 1911s have been near perfect and my CZs have been perfect except for a bad reaction to FrogLube.

If that particular reload recipe doesn't work with the Glock so be it. I guess if I was a reloader and had a pet load that would concern me, but I'm guessing it is a case where you need to do some educated tweaks to the load to see what is happening. I guess I don't see how not running one particular handload recipe makes the gun a lemon, when it is functioning 100% with the commercially loaded rounds you have put through it, as well as the other handload recipe you put through it.

Now all that said, I picked up a Gen 3 19 earlier this year, and yes, it ejects less forcefully than my Gen 3 23's. To some extent I expect that as they use the same RSA in the Gen 3 40 and 9's and the 40 has a more power to eject. I had some issues with brass to the face in the 19, but swapped the ejector and that seemed to take care of it. So I'm not saying there cannot be issues with Glocks, but I wouldn't determine the gun is defective based on 1 particular handload recipe that works in another make/model of gun but does not work in the Glock.

On the dry firing, are you saying when you retract the slide a bit after dry firing that it is not resetting the trigger?

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If it's not running an in spec reload, there's something wrong.

The trigger not resetting sounds like a broken or improperly re-installed trigger spring. If you dry fire it, continue holding the trigger to the rear as you cycle the slide. It'll reset even if the trigger spring isn't installed. If you pull the trigger and release it, then cycle the slide it won't reset. It resets while shooting because the gun cycles before your finger releases the trigger, and (propbably) doesn't in dry fire because you pull the trigger and release it before cycling the slide.

Fig_9c_Trg_Spring_0.jpg

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I would imagine, since you have factory glocks that perform fine, the third party company that did the coating on that particular glock are to blame. Especially if it seems there are several people having issues with them.

Have you tried to contact them?

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    It is the coating. It clumps sometimes in the curing process. Heavy lubricant application and a few minutes with a 3m pad on contact points with the barrel and slide will fix the issue. I had the same problem when I got my TiN coasted components back for my 26. The applicator gave me the tip. Works great now.

Top Bottom