• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I'm a dealer and my Jeep Rubicon was broken into Friday while set up and working the gun show. Our Jeep was parked where I was told it had to be parked across 38th street in a fenced in lot with only one entrance. They broke out my rear hardtop window and stole some camera gear and other stuff. Since we sleep on top of our Jeep in an Eezi-Awn roof top tent to save money and they stole all our personal clothing and toiletries too we ended up having to pack up and go home. I spoke to Dan about either getting our money back for table rentals or giving me credit for tables for the next show but he refused to either for us. I'm out over $300 for table rentals, time, gas, a broken Jeep window, and about $7,000 in camera gear not to mention lost income from having to leave the show. I was told by the fair grounds security and the state police this happens all the time at this gun show so be careful.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Sorry to hear about your experience. When I go to the 1500 I drive a crap car that looks like all the other crap cars parked on that street behind the fairground parking lots, and have only fast food bags visible from the outside. It's worked so far...

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm a dealer and my Jeep Rubicon was broken into Friday while set up and working the gun show. Our Jeep was parked where I was told it had to be parked across 38th street in a fenced in lot with only one entrance. They broke out my rear hardtop window and stole some camera gear and other stuff. Since we sleep on top of our Jeep in an Eezi-Awn roof top tent to save money and they stole all our personal clothing and toiletries too we ended up having to pack up and go home. I spoke to Dan about either getting our money back for table rentals or giving me credit for tables for the next show but he refused to either for us. I'm out over $300 for table rentals, time, gas, a broken Jeep window, and about $7,000 in camera gear not to mention lost income from having to leave the show. I was told by the fair grounds security and the state police this happens all the time at this gun show so be careful.

Like Dan Masters really gives a s**t!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

That blows dude... good luck getting your stuff back or getting reimbursed by insurance.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    AMS said:
    I was told by the fair grounds security and the state police this happens all the time at this gun show so be careful.

Fair security and state police say it happens all the time??? And they don't step up security??? Why do I find this so wrong?

AMS, sorry to hear about what happened, and even if insurance covers it, you still are left with the feeling of being violated, not only by the thieves, but Dan, the fair security, and anyone else charged with public safety. Best of luck with your insurance.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I sympathize with you AMS. And I HATE a good for nothing thief.

Hopefully you will consider dealing your wares here and become an advertiser. Good folks here.

alloutjdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Knox County
    i think your home owners insurance will cover for your camera...when they broke into my cousins car they took his camera and insruance company told him to report it to his home owners insurance and they ended up paying for it

AMS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    No insurance

Unfortunately, I make my living primarily from being a stock broker and after the 2009 rally driven by fraudulent accounting for banks and stimulus to or borrowing to bailout the bank I have told my clients to say no thanks to wall street. Long story short...I lost my home and 30 years of my life savings trying to do what was right by my clients. Obviously, I have to do what anyone in tough times does... so I have a $2,000 deductible on my comprehensive and it does not cover contents. My home owners would cover contents if I still had my home but I now live in a small apartment with no medical or renters insurance to try to make ends meet. It just seems fraud and theft at all levels is the order of the day. I appreciate the kind words...a few nice words goes a long way for me these days. I didn't know I could advertise here and may have to look into that as I can't afford to do gun shows if I'm facing these kinds of loses when I try for months to make a little extra money.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I hate thieves. I'm sorry this happened to you. Plus it gives our city a bad reputation.

+1

And getting zero sympathetic understanding about your unused table fees does feel like insult to injury, I'm sure. Surely the show's take can afford to give back to one of its vendors out of recognition that you were faultless - and in fact, only trying to follow their own parking guidelines. But maybe they're afraid of setting a precedent of refunding table fees... no matter the circumstances. :dunno:

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I am sorry you had your Jeep broken into and had items stolen. I am still not sure why you feel like it was the management's fault and why you should have your money refunded. This is a business for all concerned. Perhaps you could stow your valuables in the building next time instead of your vehicle. The security of my stuff is my responsibility. If my Christmas packages are stolen out of my vehicle while I am at the shopping mall, I am sure that Sears or Penny's will not refund my loss. I also believe that the show management has no control over Fairgrounds parking protocol or security outside the building. Just my humble opinion and I hope your next show goes better.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I am sorry you had your Jeep broken into and had items stolen. I am still not sure why you feel like it was the management's fault and why you should have your money refunded. This is a business for all concerned. Perhaps you could stow your valuables in the building next time instead of your vehicle. The security of my stuff is my responsibility. If my Christmas packages are stolen out of my vehicle while I am at the shopping mall, I am sure that Sears or Penny's will not refund my loss. I also believe that the show management has no control over Fairgrounds parking protocol or security outside the building. Just my humble opinion and I hope your next show goes better.

BIG plus 1 here. Yes it sucks for the OP but people have to take responsibility for there decisions. If you had a booth why wouldn't you bring your valuables in with you? I have worked booths at several shows and we were never instructed to park across the street.

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    He doesnt want his money refunded for his stolem items. Just his table rental. And further more if they did tell him thats the only place to park then they should be responsible for its parking. They own the parking lots across the street. Im not saying pay for his stolen stuff. But after we pay parking and a entrance fee to the show and then the vendors pay table fees you would think they could protect all of are stuff. And as consumers and a pretty big chunk of customers we as a people should do something. Like how we always keep complaning that the 1500 is getting out of control with price for everything. Maybe we should organize a new show called th INGO 1500 Gun Show. Having ranted I understand both sides and opinions. Thanks.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Fair security and state police say it happens all the time??? And they don't step up security??? Why do I find this so wrong?

AMS, sorry to hear about what happened, and even if insurance covers it, you still are left with the feeling of being violated, not only by the thieves, but Dan, the fair security, and anyone else charged with public safety. Best of luck with your insurance.

The police r there to make sure law biding citizens are not carrying at the 1500, not to stop criminals from breaking into ur car!

In fact, I have never seen a cop anywhere there except to check guns and tell u how to cross the street.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Exactly!
    Yes, it sucks that you got hit! But the show promoter has NO responsibility to make sure you have a place to sleep or clean clothes to wear!
    And why would he refund your money because YOU decide to leave and not do the rest of the show? No matter the reason!
    As far as parking, I've never known the promoters to tell anyone where they HAD to park. I've always parked in the main lot with everyone else.
    Were you late, and the only parking left was across the street? Either way, you are just as likely to get broke into in the main lot as you are across the street!

Regardless, YOU are responsible for YOU and YOUR stuff! If you don't want your $2000 photo equipment stolen out of your vehicle, don't leave it in there! Pretty simple!:dunno:

Edit:I went back and re-read the o.p.. $7000 of photo equip.! Wow!
    I'm sorry if I seem condescending! But I find it hard to feel sorry for someone who wants others to pay for THEIR mistakes.
    look, YOU chose to bring along your expensive photo gear. Why?
    YOU chose to leave YOUR gear in YOUR car. Why?
    YOU chose to leave the show and go home. why?
    Then, YOU expect someone else to pay for something that is in NO WAY their fault. WHY?

There's a few things you could (should) have done differently. And of course, hind sight is 20/20!
    YOU could have left the equipment at home.
    YOU could have taken it inside with you.
    YOU could have gone down the street and bought a couple pairs of underwear, socks, and t-shirts to get you through the weekend. (and not gone home!)

So, please tell us WHY you believe the show promoter would have ANY responsibility for YOUR errors. (he doesn't seem to give a damn about long time vendors who rent 20 tables, I doubt that he will lose any sleep over upsetting someone with a three table set-up!)

Lastly, this is just my opinion, but if times are so tough, it would seem logical to me, to sell the expensive photo equipment and the expensive vehicle, take out renters insurance (very inexpensive and a must have for renters!) drive a beater, and take responsibility for yourself!

Again, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I'm NOT sorry for my opinion!

Last edited:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    He doesnt want his money refunded for his stolem items. Just his table rental. And further more if they did tell him thats the only place to park then they should be responsible for its parking. They own the parking lots across the street. Im not saying pay for his stolen stuff. But after we pay parking and a entrance fee to the show and then the vendors pay table fees you would think they could protect all of are stuff. And as consumers and a pretty big chunk of customers we as a people should do something. Like how we always keep complaning that the 1500 is getting out of control with price for everything. Maybe we should organize a new show called th INGO 1500 Gun Show. Having ranted I understand both sides and opinions. Thanks.

So if your a show promoter you would eat the cost of the table rentals just because someone had a bad day and went home? Where do you draw the line? Besides I think its tacky that the OP creates a profile just to bash someone.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I felt bad for the guy having his stuff stolen, but this one stuck in my head after reading it. I'm glad folks brought up the issue of personal responsibility. I'm sure if I bought something from his table and put it in my car so I didn't have to carry it around, and it got stolen, he wouldn't give me my money back. If he did, he's not a good businessman, and would not be in business too long. The table is a commodity. The promoter pays for the space, does the marketing to bring people in, and sells the tables. I don't see how he has any responsibility at all for your misfortune/poor judgement.

Top Bottom