• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    It's funny but because of the way I dress people often mistake me for a LEO when they see my gun.

I usually have on Dark Navy Blue Slacks and a light Blue Oxford cut button down collar shirt with dress shoes. If I am CCing I usually have a leather Box Cut coat on.

I think it is all the blue that puts that in their minds. In the winter I have a heavy long wool overcoat and I still get the same thing if they see my gun.

Last night while I was in the MR Fuel on Burr St a little boy (about 3 or 4) pointed at me and said "Look mommy a policeman and he's got a gun" and the mother answered "Yes he is a policeman."

I just think it is funny how what I wears gives me less a hassle than when I wear my jeans and short sleeve shirt when I am working around the house and I have to go out and get something and people see me dressed like that and the tattoo on my forearm and they see my gun.

You see them go a little wife eyed and veer around me and don't speak to me.

The saying perception is reality is so true.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have experienced similar.

A child pointed at me the other day and said "Look mommy, a really, really, ridiculously good-looking man and he's got a gun" and the mother answered "Yes he is a really, really, ridiculously good-looking man."

I just flashed a charming smile, winked, and rode off into the sunset. ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

A child pointed at me the other day and said "Look mommy, a really, really, ridiculously good-looking man and he's got a gun" and the mother answered "Yes he is a really, really, ridiculously good-looking man."

And then, I woke up.
    Ftfy
    You're welcome.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

sniffing glue is still Illegal in Indiana....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

A child pointed at me the other day and said "Look mommy, a really, really, ridiculous looking man and he's got a gun" and the mother answered "Yes he is a really, really, ridiculous looking man."

I just flashed a toothless grin, winked, and drove off in my rusty old pickup ;)
    FIFY. Cuz we know how it really went down and how the general public views us country bumpkins that OC. ;)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Im so glad im not the only one this happens to.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Are you absolutely sure she didnt say "Look Mommy, tactical sandles and sock monkey socks, oh and he has a gun too!" :):

xmanhockey7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012

I think there is more to life than being really really ridiculously good looking and that's why I'm moving from Michigan to Indiana ;)

Seriously though I was once wearing khaki shorts and a t-shirt OCing and someone asked me if I was a cop. I'm also 19 years old.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    You never get a second chance at making a first impression. How a person dresses and carries themselves makes others decide on the spot if they are friend or foe, regardless of a gun on their hip.
    Then again, I don't look like a slob. I OC, tuck in my shirts, try to keep the beard down to a 2 day growth(i'm lazy) and rarely have anybody stand behind me in a grocery line.:dunno:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    You see them go a little wife eyed and veer around me and don't speak to me.
    The wife eyes are the worst.:n00b:

I OC'ed out of state all weekend, in an area that's pretty gosh darn anti-gun and still getting used to the concept of people carrying guns, not one person said a word to me aside from the 6 year old (yup I waited until she got passed the magic 5) relative who after three days, pointed at my holster and asked, What's that? What's in it? Why do you have that? Have you had to use it? I gave her direct answers and she understood that there are bad guys and I don't want to use it but I need to make it home to my family. Nobody else noticed, and I don't think it was the tucked in polo that made the difference, but rather that I carried it like it belonged there, when putting the gun on your hip and OCing is no different or less natural than wearing shoes or underwear, it really seems to be the biggest thing toward putting people at ease, less how I look and more how I carry myself. Heck I even more the dreaded hoodie when I was out in public walking my dog and interacting with people.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Perception to general public will definitely fool many when you dress in business attire with a gun strapped to your hip,
    But to be completely honest, I think it's maybe 40% visual and 60% being the way you carry yourself and your mannerisms.

I can't tell you how many times I'm mistakenly asked if I'm LE (wearing a collar shirt and/or jacket and blue jeans) while OC'ing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've been asked a couple of times, but I do my best to always wear something nice. I have only a couple of regular "t-shirts", for example.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I can't tell you how many times I'm mistakenly asked if I'm LE (wearing a collar shirt and/or jacket and blue jeans) while OC'ing.
    I only OC now and have been doing it for about eight or nine months, not all that long. But I do it almost every day, and not once has anyone asked me about open carrying. I can't even imagine walking up to someone wearing a gun and asking them if they are LE. Who would do that?

I also dress nicely (collared shirt, dress pants or khakis, occasionally jeans). I honestly don't think that many people even notice.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I only OC now and have been doing it for about eight or nine months, not all that long. But I do it almost every day, and not once has anyone asked me about open carrying. I can't even imagine walking up to someone wearing a gun and asking them if they are LE. Who would do that?
    People do things all day every day that I never thought people would do... Working with the public in a very customer-service driven industry that has a lot to do with technical issues (i.e. servers, hosting, web pages, email, etc) tends to cause you to learn that people will do a LOT of things you never thought anybody would do.

I also dress nicely (collared shirt, dress pants or khakis, occasionally jeans). I honestly don't think that many people even notice.
    Or they just don't say anything... Or maybe your situational awareness is sub-par? JK on the last part.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The wife eyes are the worst.:n00b:

I OC'ed out of state all weekend, in an area that's pretty gosh darn anti-gun and still getting used to the concept of people carrying guns, not one person said a word to me aside from the 6 year old (yup I waited until she got passed the magic 5) relative who after three days, pointed at my holster and asked, What's that? What's in it? Why do you have that? Have you had to use it? I gave her direct answers and she understood that there are bad guys and I don't want to use it but I need to make it home to my family. Nobody else noticed, and I don't think it was the tucked in polo that made the difference, but rather that I carried it like it belonged there, when putting the gun on your hip and OCing is no different or less natural than wearing shoes or underwear, it really seems to be the biggest thing toward putting people at ease, less how I look and more how I carry myself. Heck I even more the dreaded hoodie when I was out in public walking my dog and interacting with people.
    Just don't OC your underwear and you'll be fine. :yesway:

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    OC'ing and nobody cares?

I'll probably jinx myself now, but, I've OC'd for a few weeks now, I haven't gotten any gruff from anyone, except my family who doesn't quite understand the concept yet.

When I go into my old job, a coffee/sandwich shop, and see my old customers, they ask if I'm a cop now. Other than that, no one says anything.

Maybe I look too much like a cop or something, I just wear jeans/t-shirt or sweatshirt. Maybe its more accepted than I thought. But I've been all over, walmart, walgreens, grocery stores, bank, sams, target etc. and no body has said a word except people I know. Not that I'm complaining or wanting a conflict, but just thought it was strange to not even get a strange look or gasp or that 5yr old girl grabbing for that weapon on my hip!

Top Bottom