• Total voters

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    So, I'm sitting here putting off studying for as long as I can and got to messing around in my Box-o-Holsters. I pulled out a shoulder rig I haven't worn for a while and decided to where it around the house for :poop: and :):...and I got to thinking...

Would you guys who OC consider OC-ing with a shoulder rig that keeps the pistol horizontal? The reason I ask is because anyone standing behind you will be in direct line with the muzzle. Now, I know CC-ing a shoulder rig is no different, but at least someone standing in line behind you at the gas station doesn't KNOW they have a gun pointed at their chest.

I have absolutely nothing against OC even though I very rarely do it (twice actually) however I would just not feel comfortable walking around with the general public seeing my gun pointed directly at them. What do you guys think?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I voted no because if I was behind you, I would be uncomfortable. I don't mind shoulder rigs and have a few, but I absolutely hate having guns pointed at me.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    If I were to wear a shoulder rig, I'd definitely make sure it was a vertical one. I could see too many people getting freaked out by it.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That rig would not be my first choice, but yes I would have no problem wearing it OC.

I wouldn't fiddle with or holster it without checking behind me first but I would not consider carrying it properly holstered to be violating any rule.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I guess as long as your hands stay off of it then you're fine, but I still wouldn't be really keen on the idea of walking behind someone and staring down the barrel of their pistol.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I open carry in a western style holster, or my 782 gear in a bianchi holstler when I start feeling nostalgic and want to do some low crawling through the woods. I wouldnt want to stare down anyone elses barrel while in line at wal-mart, so I dont think I would be able to walk around with an OC shoulder rig.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Vertical MAYBE, but I really don't like the look of OCd shoulder rigs. Batista on Dexter does it and he looks like a goober. I did however always want a dual 1911 shoulder rig like Dillinger in Public Enemies, but I would only let the grips stick out a little of my suit jacket...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'm just too old of a dog to own a horizontal shoulder rig. Pointing a gun at someone behind me who doesn't know it's there isn't the issue. The idea of DRAWING a gun from one of those things while someone is behind me gives me the willies.

I would have to think that OC in a holster that sweeps everyone you're near gives ammunition to gunhaters. I'd stick to more traditional designs.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    this is why you carry a GP100 with a 6" barrel in a vertical shoulder holster. Then no barrel is being pointed at anyone.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I can't believe all the "pointing gun at people" nonsense you're getting. If it's properly holstered(good holster, trigger covered, etc) it's not going to go off.

The problem is between other people's ears. You shouldn't worry about or let that influence your decision making process in any way. <--That goes for all of life's decisions.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I can't believe all the "pointing gun at people" nonsense you're getting. If it's properly holstered(good holster, trigger covered, etc) it's not going to go off.

The problem is between other people's ears. You shouldn't worry about or let that influence your decision making process in any way. <--That goes for all of life's decisions.
    I dont necessarily agree with that. I know the firearm isn't going to go off by itself, but I still would not like to see the barrel of a gun pointing at me...holstered or not. Just my thinking...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For the simple reason that most people can't draw from the shoulder rather than from the hip, with good speed, would be enough to put me off from doing it. Isn't a shoulder rig meant for CC? If you're making a statement fine, but why sacrifice safety?

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    What part don't you "necessarily agree with"? Because the rest of your post, after the first sentence, agrees with everything I posted.
    I dont really get what you're saying. From your first post it seemed (to me) that you would be fine with OCing a shoulder holster because the gun is safely holstered (which is true).
    I was saying that although I know the gun is safe in its holster I still wouldn't want to see a gun pointing right at me. Im not gonna ***** to someone who has a different opinion than myself...I was just curious what the rest of INGO thinks about the topic.

Top Bottom