• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Linton
    I was just wondering how many open carriers there are out there in IN. I am from southern IN and I don't see it much. (if the open carriers that read this wouldn't mind) i would like to know how they started with open carry and how they got the courage to do it for the first time. any wisdom on this subject will be appriciated.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I do, sometimes. Depends on weather and my mood, mostly, and where I'm going.

You just strap it on, head out the door, and try not to look nervous. Pretend nobody is looking at you. They usually aren't.

I got started because I was always OC on duty :D It really was different doing it as a civilian. I'd CC'd for years after getting out of the service, when I finally decided that OC had advantages, also.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I'll be honest. Sometimes I OC, sometimes I CC; it just depends on what I'm doing and where, and how I'm dressed. I actually started with OC, and it wasn't really an issue for me as far as "getting the courage to do it". Yeah, I was nervous the first time, but not to the point that it was going to prevent me from OC'ing. I suggest if you're nervous, to evaluate exactly what it is you're nervous about. Are you worried someone's going to see it and freak out? Or are you worried you're going to drop it in a public restroom? Different reasons are going to call for different confidence builders, IMO.

Maybe start with a short trip; to the gas station and back. Then next time a little longer one. From my experience, people hardly notice, and the one's that usually do are children. I've been asked on many occasions

Child: Are you a policeman?
    Me: No
    Child: Well, why are you carrying a gun?
    Me: Because here in the US, it's one of our rights.
    Child: That's neat...I didn't know that!
    Child's Parent: Leave the man alone now, Johnny.

Never once have I had anyone freak out and call 911; I've actually had some parents thank me for 'tolerating' the questions.

Again though, as I said, I do sometimes cover it up depending on where I'm going.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Depends on how I feel... even when I OC I am still mostly covered just open jacket or cover shirt, I hate scaring the sheep it inconveniences me if I have to deal with LEO because of a MWG call.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I open carry only about 10% of the time. I actually do prefer to CC due to the tactical advantage of a hidden firearm. I have never been approached or questioned for having a firearm on my hip... I guess I just have a "good guy" look. I have also never felt conspicuous with my firearm on display. With the knowledge that the bill of rights is on my side, I have never had to muster the courage to carry openly either.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always CC, but I do not go crazy concealing it either. I don't worry if I print or if it shows sometimes. Just my personal preference.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I started with mostly OC many years ago and just never saw any benefit to concealing aside from posted places if I must go there.
    Find someone else or a small group to meet up with for lunch as an OC ice breaker if that would make you more comfortable.
    Also, study up on the carry laws in advance so you can pass on good info if or when the curious ask you about it.

If any anxiety you may feel doesn't fade quickly, you can always go back to concealed or "casual carry."

Trying it out doesn't lock you in. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Like just about everyone else that's responded so far, I OC sometimes and CC others. Most of the time, I'm somewhere between OC and CC with an OWB holster and jacket that does not cover it all of the time. Lately, I've started to OC more and will usually OC if I think the location warrants it. I also tend to OC when I'm dressed nice for work more so than when I'm in grubby clothes while working on a car.

My opinion is that how you OC may depend on whether or not you get grief. There's a certain amount of profiling that goes on every day in society and if you're dressed like a beggar (as I do when working on one of the cars) you will draw more attention if you have a pistol on display than if you're dressed decently. When I OC, I carry my compact 1911, with the nice grips in a good leather holster that does not scream "LOOK AT MY GUY".

Now, that being said, I'm still a newbie at OC and have only been doing it for a couple of months. It may very well be that I'm putting more thought into it than needs be done, but that won't be the first time that's happened.

Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    OC

I too live in Southern IN. I usualy only open carry when in rural outdoors, i.e. hiking, hunting, deer scouting, timber managment work etc. When in civilization, I carry concealed or at least have a jacket or shirt over most of the holster. I have always figred that the gun that "they" don't know that you have will provide more impact than the gun "they" have already seen.

Top Bottom