• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Excluding Obama Voters from your Place of Business

We've had our discussions of "No Weapons" and gun-buster signs before, and I've pretty much come around to Guy's perspective that if the sign is not specificly excluding the person as opposed to the inanimate object, then it has no force of law. However, these have been stories about the Southwest Shooting Authority in Pinetop, AZ posting a sign which reads, “If you voted for Obama, please turn around and leave! You have proven that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm!”

While this is far from an absolute exclusion, I could imagine such a sign properly worded would be.

"All persons who voted for Barack Hussein Obama for President in 2008 or 2012, and their dependents, are excluded from these premises under penalty of Criminal Trespass (IC 35-43-2-2(b)(2))."

Add any flowery language, such as not being trustworthy, whether with firearms or otherwise, you like.

Would this notice have legal weight?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Not really a great way to bring people into the gun community, especially considering that younger gun owners as a demographic tend not to fall in line with traditional conservative values.

I remember shortly after 9/11, a good friend of mine who happens to be Muslim expressed interest in firearms for self-defense due to increases in anti-Muslim violence. I foolishly took him to a gun show only to find a number of tables sporting anti-Muslim signage including one dealer who flat out had a "No Sales to Muslims" sign. He was horrified, i was embarrassed for the entirety of gun culture and after saying some things to the shop owner (which will not be repeated in polite company) we left and to this day, he still doesn't own a gun because for the brief period of time he was open to it, a bunch of bigots slammed the door in his face.

Please reconsider. The shooting community is evolving from it's previously conservative base, and you're not doing it any favors by alienating the people who want to continue the american tradition of gun ownership long into the future but happen to also be progressive in their social leanings.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Not really a great way to bring people into the gun community, especially considering that younger gun owners as a demographic tend not to fall in line with traditional conservative values.

I remember shortly after 9/11, a good friend of mine who happens to be Muslim expressed interest in firearms for self-defense due to increases in anti-Muslim violence. I foolishly took him to a gun show only to find a number of tables sporting anti-Muslim signage including one dealer who flat out had a "No Sales to Muslims" sign. He was horrified, i was embarrassed for the entirety of gun culture and after saying some things to the shop owner (which will not be repeated in polite company) we left and to this day, he still doesn't own a gun because for the brief period of time he was open to it, a bunch of bigots slammed the door in his face.

Please reconsider. The shooting community is evolving from it's previously conservative base, and you're not doing it any favors by alienating the people who want to continue the american tradition of gun ownership long into the future but happen to also be progressive in their social leanings.

While I agree wholeheartedly that we, as gun owners and enthusiasts, are sometimes our own worst enemies when it comes to introducing our sport(?) to new shooters who may not be in the same demographic as ourselves. I also believe this falls squarely into the "I may not like what you say but I will defend your right to say it". It is unfortunate but it speaks to the diversity in thought that already exists in our community. I look at the opportunity to introduce guns to new shooters as getting a foot in the door. Once you have an opening then you will also have an opportunity to discuss those Constitutionally based issues near and dear to all of us, well most of us.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Rather than say something like that, I would prefer that businesses post signs saying: "We as a business support the Constitution as the law of the land. As such, we welcome all people and encourage them to exercise their God given rights enumerated under the 2nd Amendment on our premises. We do."

That's like kryptonite to most freedom haters and will deter them... and any honest American will not be deterred by that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If he never got a gun it was not because some assbag had a sign up saying no muslims, a sign like that should have driven the point home even more that he should get a gun. I am calling him a liar, he never wanted one and this was his excuse.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I might not hang a No Obama Voters Welcome sign, but I would go out of my way to buy something in his store just to show my support. I think it makes good business sense, and keeps the place smelling a lot fresher as well.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Source: Gun Store: Obama Voters Not Welcome | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

The owner of an Arizona gun store said he will not sell weapons to customers who voted for President Obama because “you have proven that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm.”

Cope Reynolds, owner of the Southwest Shooting Authority in Pinetop, Ariz., posted the new store policy in a newspaper advertisement — as well as on a sign posted on the front door.

“If you voted for Barack Obama your business is not welcome at Southwest Shooting Authority,” the ad reads. “You have proven that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm.”

The Southwest Shooting Authority is a family-owned, family-run business that Reynolds opened in 2004. He told Fox News that he’s absolutely serious about the new policy.

“I’m a small business owner,” he said. “If you are dumb enough to vote for Obama again – after four years of this — I don’t think you are responsible enough to own a firearm. I don’t care who it makes mad.”

Reynolds acknowledged that folks coming into his store probably didn’t vote for Obama anyway, but he’s still making a statement. He said he’s concerned about how President Obama’s policies could impact his small business.

He also posted a letter on the Ammoland website that read in part:

“To Whom it May Concern:
    I thought you all might be interested in this. We will try to demonstrate once again that the bottom line for our business is principle, not money. Yes, it has been damaging at times but our values are intact. Effective immediately, if you voted for Obama, your money is no good here. You have proven beyond a doubt that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm. We have just put a sign up on the front door to save you the trouble of walking all the way in here.”

Reynolds said they’ve been deluged with telephone calls from supportive Americans — some from as far away as New York and New Jersey. One caller placed an order for hundreds of dollars worth of ammunition.
    But others have not been so supportive. Reynolds said there have been lots of “vile, rude, and hateful comments.”

“I hate it because my 17-year-old son answers the phone and the light into him,” Reynolds said. “They call us stupid rednecks and racist.”

The family has also received two death threats. But Reynolds said he’s not that worried about safety.

“We’re able to wear our guns in Arizona and we wear on 24-7,” he said. “We train regularly.”

At the end of the day, Reynolds said it really doesn’t matter what happens to his company — the signs are staying up.

“If we lose the whole business it doesn’t matter,” he said. “The bottom line is — my values.”

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I like how they're called "racists" because people automatically assume they don't like that Obama is black. When in reality it has nothing to do with it. I'm happy for them though for sticking with what they feel is right. I'm just wondering how they're going to check to see if someone voted for Obama or not.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like how they're called "racists" because people automatically assume they don't like that Obama is black. When in reality it has nothing to do with it. I'm happy for them though for sticking with what they feel is right. I'm just wondering how they're going to check to see if someone voted for Obama or not.

I think the O voters will out themselves by arguing over the principle. If they keep quiet and say nothing, one can assume they have come to their senses and seen the error of their ways, so selling to them would now acceptable.

Course, he can be fooled by liars like that skunk (Holder, Halder?) who ran the fast-and-furious gun sale to arm the Mexican drug cartels. Nothing one can do about that type of treason.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I was wondering this myself.

Either way, the only thing I like about this is they are demonstrating that a persons business is theirs to run as they see fit so long as it doesnt harm anyone. Not what I would personally do, but again, its their business.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know several union guys that are "gun guys". While I don't know who they voted for for president, I do know they have stickers on their lunch buckets in support of causes one would associate with democrats (eg anti-right to work). I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume they voted for Obama. (I wonder what level of conflict they have about supporting candidates that simultaneously claim to be for them, in their work lives and against their 2A rights :rolleyes:).

I support the gun store owner's right to market to whomever he chooses. And from a political standpoint, I definitely sympathize with his position. It may not be the best marketing plan to maximize his customer base, but I support him exercising his right to associate with whomever he prefers...and I would buy from him.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a broad, broad spectrum of political beliefs. There's no binary equation of liberal/conservative, and by assuming people who disagree with you on one issue automatically disagree with you on all other issues, you're making this country a worse place for everyone.

Rather than dance around the issue, I'll be blunt: I'm a fairly liberal person. I support social welfare systems, government regulations of industry, unions, equal rights for all, etc, etc. As a veteran of the Iraq war, I'm also opposed to continued occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan. But at the same time, I still recognize the value of gun ownership. I voted for Obama, because while his personal opinions about gun control might differ from mine, he was a better candidate for me, with opinions more closely aligned to my own otherwise.

Stop demonizing people because they disagree with you and try having a conversation for once.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I know several union guys that are "gun guys". While I don't know who they voted for for president, I do know they have stickers on their lunch buckets in support of causes one would associate with democrats (eg anti-right to work). I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume they voted for Obama. (I wonder what level of conflict they have about supporting candidates that simultaneously claim to be for them, in their work lives and against their 2A rights :rolleyes:).

I'm a "gun-guy", a union member, and an Independant when it comes to politics. My feelings around this are similar to my feelings on Religion... I don't agree completely with any of the organized Religions out there, but feel strongly that God exists. What does that make me? An independant Christian.

Please, don't use these topics to cast blanket statements. Several don't fit under your blanket.

Top Bottom