• ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Obama's Frightening Insensitivity Following Shooting

A bad week for Democrats compounded by an awful moment for Barack Obama.

By ROBERT A. GEORGE

Updated 2:56 PM CST, Fri, Nov 6, 2009

President Obama didn't wait long after Tuesday's devastating elections to give critics another reason to question his leadership, but this time the subject matter was more grim than a pair of governorships.
    After news broke out of the shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Texas, the nation watched in horror as the toll of dead and injured climbed. The White House was notified immediately and by late afternoon, word went out that the president would speak about the incident prior to a previously scheduled appearance. At about 5 p.m., cable stations went to the president. The situation called for not only his trademark eloquence, but also grace and perspective.
    But instead of a somber chief executive offering reassuring words and expressions of sympathy and compassion, viewers saw a wildly disconnected and inappropriately light president [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0hiw8iXdMM"]making introductory remarks[/ame]. At the event, a Tribal Nations Conference hosted by the Department of Interior's Bureau of Indian affairs, the president thanked various staffers and offered a "shout-out" to "Dr. Joe Medicine Crow -- that Congressional Medal of Honor winner." Three minutes in, the president spoke about the shooting, in measured and appropriate terms. Who is advising him?
    Anyone at home aware of the major news story of the previous hours had to have been stunned. An incident like this requires a scrapping of the early light banter. The president should apologize for the tone of his remarks, explain what has happened, express sympathy for those slain and appeal for calm and patience until all the facts are in. That's the least that should occur.

Indeed, an argument could be made that Obama should have canceled the Indian event, out of respect for people having been murdered at an Army post a few hours before. That would have prevented any sort of jarring emotional switch at the event.
    Did the president's team not realize what sort of image they were presenting to the country at this moment? The disconnect between what Americans at home knew had been going on -- and the initial words coming out of their president's mouth was jolting, if not disturbing.
    It must have been disappointing for many politically aware Democrats, still reeling from the election two days before. The New Jersey gubernatorial vote had already demonstrated that the president and his political team couldn't produce a winning outcome in a state very friendly to Democrats (and where the president won by 15 points one year ago). And now this? Congressional Democrats must wonder if a White House that has burdened them with a too-heavy policy agenda over the last year has a strong enough political operation to help push that agenda through.
    If the president's communications apparatus can't inform -- and protect -- their boss during tense moments when the country needs to see a focused commander-in-chief and a compassionate head of state, it has disastrous consequences for that president's party and supporters.
    All the president's men (and women) fell down on the job Thursday. And Democrats across the country have real reason to panic.

New York writer Robert A. George blogs at Ragged Thots.
    Copyright NBC Local Media

First Published: Nov 6, 2009 5:16 AM CST

Last edited:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    When I watched his speech the first thing I noticed was his lack of respect for the dead and wounded and his lack of emotion.

We need a leader, not a monotonous teleprompter reader.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    ...the president thanked various staffers and offered a "shout-out" to "Dr. Joe Medicine Crow -- that Congressional Medal of Honor winner."...

As I noted elsewhere, Dr. Joe Medicine Crow is NOT a Congressional Medal of Honor winner, but a Congressional Gold Medal winner.

I believe 2 things about this:

1) Had Obama recognized an actual Congressional Medal of Honor winner, he should not be castigated for it... I'm generally associated with anti-military viewpoints, but even I know these guys are heroes deserving of whatever accolades or "shout-outs" they get.

2) Obama actually insulted Congressional Medal of Honor recipients by confusing their award with the Congressional Gold Medal, which has become every bit the popularity contest the Nobel Peace Prize is.

Josed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This man is a malignat narsisist, the only thing that matters to him, is
    himself. It is a disgrace that our Great Nation is reprisented by this clown.
    God help our Republic.:xmad:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    What a true :moon:hole. I would say that I'm surprised at his lack of understanding for what it means to be a LEADER, but I know it all along. I guess when we (and I use that loosely, for I know that it is a small minority, if any, here at INGO actually voted for the piece of :poop:) elected the great TURD, then it really shows that you get what you paid for.

Once again it makes me miss the days of W, at least he was a human being with feelings for this country and our military.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Once again it makes me miss the days of W, at least he was a human being with feelings for this country and our military.

I had the same thoughts when I watched Obama's speech live. Sure, W had his shortcomings, but at least he acted like a real person when dealing with tragedies and speaking to the American people.

And I don't care who the recipient is, a "shout out" is NOT the way to start of a speech like this. He even said the words "I'd like to give a shout out. . . "

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    IMO, he is the epitome of a politician or a Hollywood celebrity. Push your popularity, dodge any responsibility, and appear like one of the cool kids.

Most of the time, he speaks so calculated and careful, I can barely take it. Mr. Political Correct. This shout-out kind of breaks away from that...a new low.

:nuts:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I had the same thoughts when I watched Obama's speech live. Sure, W had his shortcomings, but at least he acted like a real person when dealing with tragedies and speaking to the American people.

And I don't care who the recipient is, a "shout out" is NOT the way to start of a speech like this. He even said the words "I'd like to give a shout out. . . "

First I would like to give a SHOUT OUT to 4Sarge cause cause. :laugh:

Sure it is! .... IF .....

1) You are ghetto - I6BO Check (spent time in Chicago)
    2) You related to the rap culture - I6BO Check
    (Shout-out - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    obama-and-ludacris.jpg

2008 July Dillsnap Cogitations
    3) You have no concept of honor - I6BO Check (Lies for a living)
    4) You have no concept of duty - I6BO Check (never served or been with the US Armed Forces)
    5) You have no concept of country - I6BO Check (born where?)

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i stated in another post on INGO that it is quite apparent that our "commander and chief" has never served our great country and this is a prime example. had he served he would have a true regret and sense of compassion on this sad day. shame on those of you who voted this man into office, all the way from Chicago to where he is today.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom