• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    MS is the king of extortion. Does your business have all the required CALs? If not, look out, the shakedown is coming.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2014
    Merrillville
    Windows 10 has had some great reviews... MAC is fine if your going to buy their software for it at a premium and basically use it to access websites that don't support flash.... I do like the way MAC does the partition of the drive and allows you to re-install the OS without having to re-install all the programs but that is where I stop liking it....

You could try Ubuntu but a lot of stuff doesn't work in it either as far as adobe stuff.....

WD you sound like you had a bad experience with the update, I've done more than a dozen of the 8 to 8.1's with nothing more than the update time and then I was back off to the races....

Windows 10 already?

Windows XP took us from 2001 to 2007; a 6 year service life.

From 2007 to 2013 was another 6 year service life, in which we had Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, which is different enough from Windows 8 to be identified independently. That's 4 Windows revisions over the same time period, all of which add complexity to legacy hardware. I have an older Canon slim scanner that only works with a 32 bit version of Windows, as an example. I work in IT but even this is getting a bit out of control. Let me enjoy Windows 7 for another 4 years.

I tried Ubuntu and tried to love it, oh so much. Man did I try to enjoy it. But then I tried to perform daily tasks like playing computer games on STEAM, and discovered I'd have to read a dozen tutorials to accomplish that. I tried to update drivers, then discovered I'd have to re-compile the kernel because something always broke something else. Lastly, I tried to format my hard drive and install Windows 7 and I was happy again.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have NEVER agreed to any update since the day I bought this computer ... UNLESS ... you agreed to something when you were setting it up for me ... hmmm.

All previous requests to update came with the "Not now" option which I ALWAYS selected ... until yesterday. The update request started popping up without any option to ignore ... I had to pick a time to update. I just kept turning the computer off and starting it up again but it would pop up within 20 minutes every time. Needless to say, I couldn't get anything done that way.

By defualt new Windows 8 computers have the "ms windows update" service running unless you turn it off.
    That service has 3 settings:
    - Off (ie. no updates and no notifications of new updates)
    - Notification (ie. you get a pop up bubble telling you that new updates are avaliable)
    - Auto (ie. Windows will download and install any new updates when they appear)

As stated before in update PRIOR to the 8.1 UPDATE had a small blurp of text which said by updating with this update (the prior one) you agree to allow MS to update to 8.1 once it comes out with no expection to it. So the computer was merely doing what it was told to do.
    mmmmmuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa

Have to love the way MS did it.
    Hey if you like your OS you can keep your OS. :whistle:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Windows 10 already?

Windows XP took us from 2001 to 2007; a 6 year service life.

From 2007 to 2013 was another 6 year service life, in which we had Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, which is different enough from Windows 8 to be identified independently. That's 4 Windows revisions over the same time period, all of which add complexity to legacy hardware. I have an older Canon slim scanner that only works with a 32 bit version of Windows, as an example. I work in IT but even this is getting a bit out of control. Let me enjoy Windows 7 for another 4 years.

I tried Ubuntu and tried to love it, oh so much. Man did I try to enjoy it. But then I tried to perform daily tasks like playing computer games on STEAM, and discovered I'd have to read a dozen tutorials to accomplish that. I tried to update drivers, then discovered I'd have to re-compile the kernel because something always broke something else. Lastly, I tried to format my hard drive and install Windows 7 and I was happy again.

Problem is MS can't make money if we all keep WIN 7 or WIN 10 around for 6+ years since it's stable. :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

I'm just the messagner don't get mad at me.
    It's all GG's fault! :rofl:

On a serious note it was a s****y way of how MS did this update.
    They changed the rules of the game and I suspect all they have cause it to make most systems unsafe.
    Bet you all those affected will not either TURN OFF updates and/or go to notification only and even then won't update and will get tired of the pop up bubble that will then just turn off updates all together.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hey, for you reloading peeps ...

What is a decent price that you would pay for the following calibers of once-fired brass? Not cleaned or de-primed ... as is with some +P cases mixed in.

7.62x51
    30-06
    .380 Auto
    .38 Special
    .38 Super
    .357 Magnum
    .357 Sig
    .40 S&W
    9mm Luger
    10 mm
    .44 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .45 ACP

You can PM me ...no need to clutter up the thread. I just need the information. Not selling anything yet but I need to gauge just how much I have sitting around.

1 declawed raccoon for the .223 REM.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Glock brass = good...just need one of these...

53010ed7-c17b-44ef-b0fb-542c07e0fa84_zps07e0a315.jpg

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It is bulged from an unsupported chamber. You need to run it through something like above to remove the bulge.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Oh yea, I don't know if darkkevin posted about it or not, but after the last M&S we found a couple bulged & cracked casings. I don't remember the caliber off hand, but we had wanted to mention it in case it was one of our people & they had bad reloads. Hopefully he'll chime in.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh yea, I don't know if darkkevin posted about it or not, but after the last M&S we found a couple bulged & cracked casings. I don't remember the caliber off hand, but we had wanted to mention it in case it was one of our people & they had bad reloads. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Some of those cases were there when I got there first thing in the morning.
    It's that odd shape pistol caliber from Europe IIRC.
    It looks like a rifle case but much smaller and has the bludge near the neck of the case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom