jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How much for.308?
    Oh so true about redheads but that is ok, they can take all they want. If it's my unicorn all the better

As for blood donations for men its even more important as our boody does not produce fresh blood every month like females do so we got a lot of old blood in us unless you get rid of some. Then you force body to make new blood

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What kind of pumps? My mom has never had a pump "failure" where they replaced it to my knowledge, but there have sure been plenty of times where I would swear that little bastard wasn't pumping insulin and she was getting high 3 to low 400 counts.
    Of course she's also 80, not all there all the time to put it nice and lives on carbs, fried fish and ice cream and candy.

Melen uses a Medtronic. It is (or at least was) the only pump approved for pediatric use. As she is no longer a minor child she can switch to any other brand/style she chooses.

Mark showed me his system, its really a neat self contained unit and I believe Mark's is called an "Omni-Pod" system, it gets great reviews from users but is (or at least was) not approved for use on children.

Bigretic, and Melensdad ... the insulin pump i'm on has all the pump parts of the system in a disposable piece of the system. So, ya I just figure it out and fill up another pod and replace it. I just don't like the fact that two of them flat lined in 4 days and even though the company will replace the actual pod part in the next shipment they won't replace the 100 to 150 units of insulin that is stuck in the thing that failed. Insulin runs 137.00 a vial and well it gets expensive to just be throwing any of it away.. ....
    Well at least they replace some of the expense. But you're right about the expense of the insulin. Do you take Humilog? Or ???

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, I just went to Strack's in CP. Lots of stuff coming down, and it's little hard pellets of snow.

Just saw the plow on our street. Tell me if this makes sense. Plow and salt truck working together, right? Salt truck throws salt, and then plow blade follows up right behind. WTF?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm on humulog. I like the system but I think what I am experiencing with the few failures is a lack in design. The system is always running a hundred different quality control tests in the pod and if one fails it just shuts it down and your racing for more insulin and another pod to replace it before your blood sugars go up. I would like to see them ad or someone come up with a hack that would report the error and give you the option to shut it down or keep using it til you can get somewhere to replace it. It can suck to find out the error was the delivery was off by a eight of the dose you were taking and you happen to be on top of a water tower working and have to climb all the way down and go some where clean to replace the thing... its a great system but it has it's problems like most things..

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    Got a call from my daughters school. They are letting kids out 2 hours early.

@jedi. Went to kempfs in michigan city today they had aa2230 for $26.95 for 1lbs.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Bigretic, and Melensdad ... the insulin pump i'm on has all the pump parts of the system in a disposable piece of the system. So, ya I just figure it out and fill up another pod and replace it. I just don't like the fact that two of them flat lined in 4 days and even though the company will replace the actual pod part in the next shipment they won't replace the 100 to 150 units of insulin that is stuck in the thing that failed. Insulin runs 137.00 a vial and well it gets expensive to just be throwing any of it away.. Plus there is the whole thing about waking up with a 439 blood sugar and then having to get it back in check... I do have some insulin pins on hand and some of the old syringes too although the syringes I have are 1cc and wouldn't be quite compatible with the small amount of insulin that would be administered at one time with this newer insulin I switched to when I went to the pump... I love this thing for the control and the lack of pain of having to take 3 to 8 shots a day without it but then it does this failure thing ever once in a while and it makes me upset...

Bigretic, I'm under 74 carbs a day now.... LOL.... bet she isn't close to that.... but as I get older I do get to that point where I just want to pig out and suffer anyways...

Snap, I understand... your doing it for the children.... we will be having fun though....

She has the weirdest and worst eating habits I have ever seen. Not sure what kind of pump she has, they are in FL and it's been a while since I had to deal with it for her. She's almost blind at this point, so my dad deals with all the insulin for her. I do know she keeps 2 kinds on hand, humilog and something else, one is fast acting and the other is regular I think. she doesn't have to do shots much tho with the pump unless it gets nuts out of control then my dad will call me and give me a rundown of her day and what he put in as "bolus" as he calls it. ( a zero carb push in the pump based on a count level ) He didn't even know how to do that until I got stuck with her one time while he was in the hospital... crazy. I just had to figure it out with the manual, changing the pump for the first time with no help was unsettling... lol. She actually has more problems with lows because she'll order all this fried carb crap, then only eat 1/4 if it after my dad has set the push based on what she ordered. I've tried to tell him to short it by 30% or more but they never listen... except when she's on a high, then my phone is ringing... lol.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ivy Tech is still open, which means I have to take a whole personal day. I was hoping they would close early and I'd only have to use a half.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    She has the weirdest and worst eating habits I have ever seen. Not sure what kind of pump she has, they are in FL and it's been a while since I had to deal with it for her. She's almost blind at this point, so my dad deals with all the insulin for her. I do know she keeps 2 kinds on hand, humilog and something else, one is fast acting and the other is regular I think. she doesn't have to do shots much tho with the pump unless it gets nuts out of control then my dad will call me and give me a rundown of her day and what he put in as "bolus" as he calls it. ( a zero carb push in the pump based on a count level ) He didn't even know how to do that until I got stuck with her one time while he was in the hospital... crazy. I just had to figure it out with the manual, changing the pump for the first time with no help was unsettling... lol. She actually has more problems with lows because she'll order all this fried carb crap, then only eat 1/4 if it after my dad has set the push based on what she ordered. I've tried to tell him to short it by 30% or more but they never listen... except when she's on a high, then my phone is ringing... lol.
    Odd that she has 2 types of insulin AND uses a pump.

Typically Humilog is paired with Lantis. Lantis is a slow acting/time released sort of insulin. Its often used by people who take Humilog injections with each meal and then they take 1 injection of Lantis in the morning or at night before bedtime.

When you use the pumps you typically do not have Lantis because the pumps do a slow trickle of Humilog 24/7 and then you take a boost of it with each meal.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Odd that she has 2 types of insulin AND uses a pump.

Typically Humilog is paired with Lantis. Lantis is a slow acting/time released sort of insulin. Its often used by people who take Humilog injections with each meal and then they take 1 injection of Lantis in the morning or at night before bedtime.

When you use the pumps you typically do not have Lantis because the pumps do a slow trickle of Humilog 24/7 and then you take a boost of it with each meal.

yep, that's it. Lantis. Reason she has both is because they aren't real good about keeping her level stable. Seems like they are constantly fighting it every couple weeks. Self induced of course, but it is what it is...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom