• Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Soooooo we will probably get that snow as I'm batting a 1000 already...

Woke up with a very high blood sugar as apparently this dang insulin pump failed during the night and forgot to alarm till this morning...

second one in 4 days, maybe they better find a different manufacturing plant to make these dang things in...

there went 80 bucks times two and my stellar A1C rating.... oh and no breakfast... better luck at lunch time...

Sorry had to vent some where, they won't let me shoot in the backyard so you guys got it...

Snap, what you going to Indy for ? You know Actaeon and I will be at the Blythes Valpo range and you will be missing quality shooting time...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Mark do you keep spare syringes handy for these occasions?

When Melen's pump dies, it usually seems to happen about 10pm on a Saturday night, she switches over to injections every few hours until UPS arrives. Usually a new pump arrives (from Kentucky) in 12 to 16 hours, but we've had one arrive in less than 8, by car, at 3am, driven by a UPS supervisor.

Or do you just pop on a new "pod" and go on with your day?

Is there any guarantee with those things? Since Melen's pump is the price of a cheap econo-car there is no practical way to keep a spare pump for those emergencies. But it is warranted for such incidents and they do ship a replacement by some sort of 'urgent medical device' service that gets the replacement pumps here very quickly.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Soooooo we will probably get that snow as I'm batting a 1000 already...

Woke up with a very high blood sugar as apparently this dang insulin pump failed during the night and forgot to alarm till this morning...

second one in 4 days, maybe they better find a different manufacturing plant to make these dang things in...

there went 80 bucks times two and my stellar A1C rating.... oh and no breakfast... better luck at lunch time...

Sorry had to vent some where, they won't let me shoot in the backyard so you guys got it...

Snap, what you going to Indy for ? You know Actaeon and I will be at the Blythes Valpo range and you will be missing quality shooting time...

Sorry your pump failed. You're OK, though, right?

I've got a statewide math curriculum meeting. I'm the math chair for the Ivy Tech Northwest Region, so I think they would miss me. I'll catch you guys another time. Most MWF are good for me. I'm totally off on Friday unless I have a meeting, and I can sneak out or take personal days on MW.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    BTW, we are getting HEAVY SNOW in suburban Lowell area near the state line.

Big flakes, coming down hard.

Same here

20140217_081534_zps64dcc107.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well the snow is here and their goes my plan. Not driving in this stuff with crazy drivers. Guess ill take next MondaY off for dentist cleaning. Sigh

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, I started out and then said "**** it" and took a personal day. Not askeered of the snow, but I've got three personal days to use before May, so why not. Besides, my mom doesn't do well driving in this, so I now can take her to her volunteer job at noon.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Mark do you keep spare syringes handy for these occasions?

When Melen's pump dies, it usually seems to happen about 10pm on a Saturday night, she switches over to injections every few hours until UPS arrives. Usually a new pump arrives (from Kentucky) in 12 to 16 hours, but we've had one arrive in less than 8, by car, at 3am, driven by a UPS supervisor.

Or do you just pop on a new "pod" and go on with your day?

Is there any guarantee with those things? Since Melen's pump is the price of a cheap econo-car there is no practical way to keep a spare pump for those emergencies. But it is warranted for such incidents and they do ship a replacement by some sort of 'urgent medical device' service that gets the replacement pumps here very quickly.

What kind of pumps? My mom has never had a pump "failure" where they replaced it to my knowledge, but there have sure been plenty of times where I would swear that little bastard wasn't pumping insulin and she was getting high 3 to low 400 counts.
    Of course she's also 80, not all there all the time to put it nice and lives on carbs, fried fish and ice cream and candy.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Bob you keep that snow at least until noon. I have some stuff to do this am and don't need the snow just yet.

I read that as "I have stuff to do with this arm and don't need the snow just yet" and almost relinquished my crown as TMI King.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Bigretic, and Melensdad ... the insulin pump i'm on has all the pump parts of the system in a disposable piece of the system. So, ya I just figure it out and fill up another pod and replace it. I just don't like the fact that two of them flat lined in 4 days and even though the company will replace the actual pod part in the next shipment they won't replace the 100 to 150 units of insulin that is stuck in the thing that failed. Insulin runs 137.00 a vial and well it gets expensive to just be throwing any of it away.. Plus there is the whole thing about waking up with a 439 blood sugar and then having to get it back in check... I do have some insulin pins on hand and some of the old syringes too although the syringes I have are 1cc and wouldn't be quite compatible with the small amount of insulin that would be administered at one time with this newer insulin I switched to when I went to the pump... I love this thing for the control and the lack of pain of having to take 3 to 8 shots a day without it but then it does this failure thing ever once in a while and it makes me upset...

Bigretic, I'm under 74 carbs a day now.... LOL.... bet she isn't close to that.... but as I get older I do get to that point where I just want to pig out and suffer anyways...

Snap, I understand... your doing it for the children.... we will be having fun though....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Red cross blood drive today very close to the clubhouse.
    On us 30 at 1515 us 30 in shereville.
    Its past the ckubhouse going towards dyer.
    Community center.
    Hope ya can make it, red cross always needs blood

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom