• Status
    Not open for further replies.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    It must of rained pretty good last night. Lost power for round midnight...... Slept right through it.

Anyone been to Journeyman Distillery in Michigan? We've got to go there in a couple months for a Wedding. I'm not a big fan of the hard stuff, what kinds of beers do they have there?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It must of rained pretty good last night. Lost power for round midnight...... Slept right through it.

Anyone been to Journeyman Distillery in Michigan? We've got to go there in a couple months for a Wedding. I'm not a big fan of the hard stuff, what kinds of beers do they have there?
    I only had the hard stuff and the hard stuff mixed with things. The food was good.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Valpo got hit pretty good too. At least I'm not the only one with a dog who goes nuts during storms. My Pyrenees whimpered until I got fed up and let him on the bed.

Lorelei will not stay on the bed. I tried to put her on my bed so I could go back to sleep, but she kept trying to jump down. She's little and blind and will hurt herself, so I just got up and held her most of the night.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Got home from work to find a tree limb through the roof of my shed. Smh. It'll stay like that until next weekend, ain't dealing with it until I'm off work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2016
    Jasper County
    Lorelei will not stay on the bed. I tried to put her on my bed so I could go back to sleep, but she kept trying to jump down. She's little and blind and will hurt herself, so I just got up and held her most of the night.

Oh poor pup. You always can tell a person loves their dog when they sacrifice sleep for their pooch. Remington just laid on me all night, all 100+ lbs of white fluffiness. At least my wife slept good.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That's news to thousands of people working in the mill.

Ice cold water shocks the blood vessels in the stomach and GI tract, interfering with absorption and hydration. The body also expends more energy warming the cold water up than it does with cool or room temperature water. Cooling the forehead and neck do more good to cool off the body than drinking ice water.

http://amazinghealthyfood.com/never-drink-ice-cold-water-hot-weather/

http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/10/cold-water-bad/

[url]http://www.dailynutritionnews.com/never-drink-iced-water/

[/URL]

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ice cold water shocks the blood vessels in the stomach and GI tract, interfering with absorption and hydration. The body also expends more energy warming the cold water up than it does with cool or room temperature water.

The energy spent by the body heating the water, is a transfer of heat from the body. It's what you want to do when it's 120 degrees out. The body can not transfer it's heat to a environment that is hotter than the body. Heat transfers from hotter to colder.
    Normally the body is hotter than the environment, so it transfers the heat to the environment.
    When the environment is hotter, then the body can not do that. So you need to introduce something colder for the body to transfer heat to.

As for the medical "blood vessels and GI tract", well I can't explain that not having medical training beyond 1st aid.
    But I can tell from 25 years of experience with thousands of people, we use ice cold water all the time just to live.
    And our heat injuries are more numerous than I'd like.
    But less numerous than you'd expect with the number of people involved and the heat experienced.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I could amend about the hydration absorption.

It's not all about hydration.
    Hydration is important.
    But it is not the entire equation.
    Heat transfer is also important.
    You can be hydrated, and still overheat.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The energy spent by the body heating the water, is a transfer of heat from the body. It's what you want to do when it's 120 degrees out. The body can not transfer it's heat to a environment that is hotter than the body. Heat transfers from hotter to colder.
    Normally the body is hotter than the environment, so it transfers the heat to the environment.
    When the environment is hotter, then the body can not do that. So you need to introduce something colder for the body to transfer heat to.

As for the medical "blood vessels and GI tract", well I can't explain that not having medical training beyond 1st aid.
    But I can tell from 25 years of experience with thousands of people, we use ice cold water all the time just to live.
    And our heat injuries are more numerous than I'd like.
    But less numerous than you'd expect with the number of people involved and the heat experienced.

All I know is what I've read and been told by doctors and what works for me. If that works best for you, then go for it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All I know is what I've read and been told by doctors and what works for me. If that works best for you, then go for it.

Would those doctors be doctors working in +100 degree environments?
    Would those doctors be looking only at hydration, and not looking at the physics of heat transfer/fluid flow?

I have to go with the doctors that actually specialize in it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    l_l_evraz-edit.jpg

warren-ohio-mill-worker.jpg

I see guys like this downing ice cold water all the time.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Would those doctors be doctors working in +100 degree environments?
    Would those doctors be looking only at hydration, and not looking at the physics of heat transfer/fluid flow?

I have to go with the doctors that actually specialize in it.
    Agreed. But I still go with what works for me, and that's somewhere between cool and room temperature. But I will be the first to admit that the circumstances where I get overheated and the circumstances where you get overheated are vastly different.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom