• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I swear the NRA takes their advertising que's from car dealerships.

My dad was a life member and died 2 and a half years ago. They are still mailing me crap in his name. Today, I got a letter in the mail and opened it up. It's trying to get him to up his membership to an Endowment membership. The letter said that it normally takes a minimum of a $1000 donation but if I send this check in, it will apply to the first $700 of my donation. What a crock.

Just the other day, I got an envelope that looked very official. Through the window, you can see what looks exactly like an Indian vehicle title. I thought to myself that I shouldn't have any titles coming to me and double checked the address and name. I opened it up and it said on it that it was a sample of the title to a car that I could win if I went to the dealership.

NRA=Sleazy car dealership

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    I have millions waiting for me. But it is still tied up in probate in Nigeria until I can get a few hundred bucks over there to help free it up.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm thinking about setting up a "Save the (fill in the blank)" non profit. If I can get enough donations, I can pay myself a fat salary and quit my real job. It would be interesting to see the salary figures for the top 100 or so executives from the NRA.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I was under the impression that the NRA helped out with our gun rights, even though they are somewhat corrupt. I just got one of their surveys in the mail asking me to become a member. Should I not waste my time sending them 25 bucks? :dunno:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :n00b:
    I was under the impression that the NRA helped out with our gun rights, even though they are somewhat corrupt. I just got one of their surveys in the mail asking me to become a member. Should I not waste my time sending them 25 bucks? :dunno:

No No No,,,,,,,,instead you should send me 20 bucks. That way you save $5 and I take care of the rest.;)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Do some research and make that determination on your own. There are many supporters of the NRA on INGO and many who believe they are not beneficial in any way. I am a member and I'm not totally satisfied with some of their actions, but I will continue to support them, for now.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

If you don't mind sleazy, car dealer like tactics to raise cash, then you might be ok with them.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Do some research and make that determination on your own. There are many supporters of the NRA on INGO and many who believe they are not beneficial in any way. I am a member and I'm not totally satisfied with some of their actions, but I will continue to support them, for now.
    I am a life member, so happy or not, I am stuck.... they have my money,
    so quitting, would not do me any good.....(besides, I am NOT a quitter)

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My gun club/range requires NRA membership as a prerequisite to membership there. If they didn't, I'm not sure how many would be members around here. Probably quite a few, due to some demographic issues, but it's nice to think we could hold NRA's feet to the fire if we wanted.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    It sounds like someone knew your father was older and by asking for a "endowment membership" they were going to have money coming in after his passing. Think about it. There are unscrupulous fund raisers out there that do this in the name of what ever they think will work for that specific moment.

I continue to receive NRA membership applications, which I never asked for, and I continue to ignore them.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Name one other firearms group that has had any influence in congress and I will join them...till then the NRA is the only effective representation we have. No I don't always agree with them but they are the only ones fighting to keep our 2nd Amendment rights intact. The other groups out there bad mouth the NRA trying to steal their membership...you want to talk about sleazy tactics?

Name one decision the GOA has had any effect on...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They might not be 100% the pro-firearm group they say they are, but they have our government totally afraid of them. That alone makes it worth belonging.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It sounds like someone knew your father was older and by asking for a "endowment membership" they were going to have money coming in after his passing. Think about it. There are unscrupulous fund raisers out there that do this in the name of what ever they think will work for that specific moment.

I continue to receive NRA membership applications, which I never asked for, and I continue to ignore them.

My dad would be 63 and they still send the magazines so they have no reason to believe he died.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    The NRA has two functions, one is to collect money from any willing to give it. The second is to lobby the elected members of our government. If you aren't a politician, you are likely to only see the fund raising efforts. Perhaps you dislike their tactics, but clearly, they get the job done (I won't waste my time by trying to look up their cash inflows, but rest assured it is a huge number).

By the way, who else is looking out for our interests when it comes to this matter? The GOA, the JPFO? What have they ever actually done? But if you don't like the NRA, then at least join one of these smaller organizations and donate there.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I'm a life member and proud of it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And, your point is?

A prior poster made the point that he thought the NRA was sending the endowment membership because because my father was either really old or dead. I just made the statement that they have no reason to believe that. After 2.5 years, they are still sending me the American Rifleman magazine for him.

Top Bottom