• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My sister and brother-in-law have finally realized that they need a firearm or two in their home and while they go around town (Indianapolis). They live in the downtown area in an area where it's a mix of nice homes and "shady" homes. An incident 2 houses down from them 2 weeks ago finally scared the crap out of them and made them realize that they need personal protection because they police just won't come fast enough. In any case where can they go in the Indy area to get the NRA Basic Firearm course. Also what is the process for them to apply for their LTCH? I know they need to go to the Indy PD but is there certain times, fees, etc? I know them for my town but not theirs.

I told her to start the application process of the LTCHs and then go sign up for the courses (they both have ZERO experience with firearms).

Thanks!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    OK. They have a lot to learn. Responsible, effective, and safe gun ownership is *a lot* more than getting a carry license and a gun. Technically, they don't really need an LTCH if they are just going to keep the gun in the home, but it is still recommended. Here are some useful links:

Indiana code
    Firearms FAQ (including application procedure)
    LTCH Application form
    NRA basic training can be found easily in the Training forum.

They will need to go to the City-County building downtown. They should be able to locate it easily.

Fees = $50 local fee + $75 state fee (the latter must be a money order or cashier's check)

Good Luck... :ingo:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    There are several NRA instructors advertising classes in the Tactics and Training forum.

Make sure they take training beyond what they get from the NRA if self defense is their motive for gun ownership.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the initial replies in re-reading my post perhaps I should have expanded.

I see there are several NRA Basic Firearm courses provided by some in the training section. Anyone liked one over the other? When I took my it was 12 hours long 3 hour sessions over 3 wed nights. The first night we did 2 hours of class; 1 hour of firing .22. The 2nd night we did 1 hour class (with the test); 2 hours of shooting revolvers, 9ms, .45s and .22s. The third wed it was whatever gun you wanted to fire (you paid for ammo); In night 1 and 2 ammo was unlimited and provided by the class.

In looking at some in the indy area one was 12 hours of class (10 class and 2 range). =(
    I'm biased on my class since I got to shoot everything caliber to see what I would like. I'm looking for something like that for them as well.

So any specific range/teacher that someone liked? Would recommend.

My goal right now is just pointing them in the right direction and tell them where to go get the paperwork/classes. Knowing my sister she is going to go "crazy" and go get additional training once she gets over the "OMG I have a gun". LOL

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I think the room is E501 , it is on the first floor of the city county building .

Tell them to start the process online first and it will go smoother for them . Also , make sure they list EVERY time they've been arrested , even if it was 40 years ago . :rolleyes:

Once they've got the form printed off and the money orders they go in and fill out the paper work and get finger printed and start the waiting game .

I recommend IndyGunSafety.com , they will get to handle different types of guns and get range time at ECPR .

Top Bottom