Now that Illinois has joined the rest of the country....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    What I read, you can carry in your vehicle w/ a license from another state if you're not an IL resident. You can apply for a non resident IL license to carry on your person in a few additional places (long list of no carry locations) for $300.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Please remember, this is all a fantasy until Quinn signs the bill. I lived in Illinois from 1982 until 2002, and I still work there. There is a lot of stupidity in Illinois government.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    There is a lot of stupidity in most governments. It seems that Illinois is not afraid to open their mouths & remove all doubt.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Please remember, this is all a fantasy until Quinn signs the bill. I lived in Illinois from 1982 until 2002, and I still work there. There is a lot of stupidity in Illinois government.
    From what I read, it looks like they have the required number of votes to override his butt if he refuses to sign it.:dunno:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    But the session ended yesterday, didn't it? So what happens if no one is their to actually override the veto? Would Quinn be so stupid to invite no law at all?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    But the session ended yesterday, didn't it? So what happens if no one is their to actually override the veto? Would Quinn be so stupid to invite no law at all?
    Yes, he would be that stupid. He knows that "Constitutional Carry" will result in home rule and a thousand different regulations that will be made to suit the local politarati and their hanger on. No doubt Pflegger and Tiny Dancer are on the phone with him begging for a veto.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I think it may very well be that Barack Hussein and the Chicago machine have decided that the best option, for them, is "Constitutional Carry." If they pass a bill, they lose both Chicago and downstate. If they fail to pass a bill, they still lose downstate but can pretty-much continue with the status quo in Crook County. Their best strategy is to avoid any state-wide legislation becoming law.

ETA: After reading the story in The Tribune, it looks like there are enough downstate Democrats who fully support this bill to override a veto if Quinn decides to do so. The losers may not have a choice in Crook County. The House speaker says both chambers will convene to vote on an override, if necessary. If Madigan is willing to allow it, then Quinn and Chicago are out of options.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What I read, you can carry in your vehicle w/ a license from another state if you're not an IL resident. You can apply for a non resident IL license to carry on your person in a few additional places (long list of no carry locations) for $300.

Before you get yourself or someone else in trouble, you better reread whatever it is that you have read or clarify. Because you are not even close to factual.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Before you get yourself or someone else in trouble, you better reread whatever it is that you have read or clarify. Because you are not even close to factual.

IMO there is basis for the interpretation that one can have the ability to carry a loaded concealed firearm on their person while traveling in Illinois. Below are excerpts from the law as written.

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun
    carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed
    from view of the public or on or about a person within a
    vehicle.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Section 45. Civil immunity; Board, em

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

IMO there is basis for the interpretation that one can have the ability to carry a loaded concealed firearm on their person while traveling in Illinois. Below are excerpts from the law as written.

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun
    carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed
    from view of the public or on or about a person within a
    vehicle.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Section 45. Civil immunity; Board, em

Leash,
    Please back up YOUR statement via statute. I quoted these two sections of the bill in the other thread on this topic last night. It's pretty clear, based on the definition of a "concealed firearm" in this legislation that you can carry in your car so long as you are legal in your state.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The guy I was quoting was speaking in the present.tense.

I havent read your other thread but am familiar with the above proposed bill.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    If this is signed into law, I'll be curious to see what states will honor an IL non-resident permit. Since I live right next door and am over there quite often, but IL won't honor other states permits/licenses, it just might be beneficial to get an IL non-res license if several states that don't honor IN will end up honoring IL non-res. Will probably be awhile before all of that is ironed out. May still have to go with the FL or UT for a few years.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I predict a big drop in crime in Chicago ( if people can carry there) as well as lots of savings on welfare, wic, food stamps, incarceration and so forth within 20 years after a few things find they are trying to rob armed citizens.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I predict a big drop in crime in Chicago ( if people can carry there) as well as lots of savings on welfare, wic, food stamps, incarceration and so forth within 20 years after a few things find they are trying to rob armed citizens.

I predict that the high cost of getting a permit, (probably $500-ish including training) plus the huge list of places that you can not carry will dissuade most people from bothering with a permit.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I predict that the high cost of getting a permit, (probably $500-ish including training) plus the huge list of places that you can not carry will dissuade most people from bothering with a permit.
    This is exactly why they are proposing it this way. They want to make it as cost prohibitive and restrictive as they can. It's about control.

I've already stated in a different thread that I will not pay their ransom for a non resident license and will be satisfied with being able to cross the state line while driving in my vehicle legally carrying a loaded concealed firearm on the rare occasions that I go to Illinois and visit family members.

I do believe that I would be covered under this new legislation if signed into law to carry concealed aslong as I do not leave the vehicle with it unless I am on the property of someone that has given me permission to carry.

That's all I need.

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

I tend to agree since most of the gun crime in Chicago occurs in predominantly über poor inner city communities. There are decent people living in these neighborhoods, but being that they are impoverished localities, the good folks will be effectively priced out of being able to carry legally. Also, (and my memory is a little vague on this) Didn't either Cook County or Chicago pretty much make it nearly impossible for inner city folks to attend the training required to get a FOID card by outlawing ranges within them? So, aside from the financial hurdle, the restrictions against carrying on public transportation as part of the State Law means that many Chicago residents who rely on busses and CTS are pretty much screwed with being able to attend the 16 hours of required training as well.

Chicago and Cook county will continue to be war zones and the fact that the relaxation of gun laws has little to no effect will be a soap box for the progressives and gun grabbers to stand on. (By design, I suspect)

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I tend to agree since most of the gun crime in Chicago occurs in predominantly über poor inner city communities. There are decent people living in these neighborhoods, but being that they are impoverished localities, the good folks will be effectively priced out of being able to carry legally. Also, (and my memory is a little vague on this) Didn't either Cook County or Chicago pretty much make it nearly impossible for inner city folks to attend the training required to get a FOID card by outlawing ranges within them? So, aside from the financial hurdle, the restrictions against carrying on public transportation as part of the State Law means that many Chicago residents who rely on busses and CTS are pretty much screwed with being able to attend the 16 hours of required training as well.

Chicago and Cook county will continue to be war zones and the fact that the relaxation of gun laws has little to no effect will be a soap box for the progressives and gun grabbers to stand on. (By design, I suspect)

Great point about decent people. The thing I would ask them is who they voted for. Most probably would say Obama. I am sure they would not get it when I try to explain to them liberals want to keep them in that situation and those liberal policies are why decent people of all races are not safe.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle

Very true. The only thing is that I hope a Court takes a case to say the ridiculously high cost discriminates against the poor. I further hope someone throws the liberal claimed used on voting ID laws back at them about people not being able to afford a permit.

Top Bottom