• ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Scenario:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his gun rack.
    1957 - The vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car, and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
    2007 - The school goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, and Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario:
    Jeffrey won't be still in class and disrupts other students.
    1957 - Jeffrey is sent to the office and is given a good paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt the class again.
    2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie and is tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a spanking with his belt.
    1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom falls for the psychologist.

Scenario:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    There was a farmer, Perley Moore, who had recently bought a truck and found that the "basic price" was only the beginning. Once the salesman had added on all the extras -- towing package, toolbox, fifth-wheel attachment, etc. -- the price was quite a bit higher. Well, by a strange turn of fate, that same salesman stopped by Perley's farm one day to buy a cow. The dealer examined the herd, picked out a likely specimen, and asked about the price.

"That's a hundred-dollar cow," Moore replied directly.

"That's fair enough," said the salesman. "I'll take her."

"Well, now, that's the basic price," Moore added, getting out pencil and paper. "There are one or two extras, of course." He made a few notes and handed the paper to the dealer. Here is the final invoice:

Basic cow: $100
    Two-tone exterior: $45
    Storage compartment and dispensing device: $60 Four spigots @ $10 each: $40 Genuine cowhide upholstery: $75 Dual horns @ $7.50 each: $15 Automatic fly-swatter: $35

Total: $370

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Scenario:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his gun rack.
    1957 - The vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car, and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
    2007 - The school goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, and Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario:
    Jeffrey won't be still in class and disrupts other students.
    1957 - Jeffrey is sent to the office and is given a good paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt the class again.
    2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie and is tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a spanking with his belt.
    1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom falls for the psychologist.

Scenario:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.
    do they realy get money from the state for kids with add? if so that explains why they keep pushing it on kids. had a meeting with my grandsons counselor last month. in a 30 minute meeting she advised us 9 different times to put him on riddlen. after the first time i told her we were not going to do that and she mentioned it 8 more times and each time i told her no. jake spends the weekends with us and after raising 3 kids who are as normal as can be i can tell jake is just a 7 yearold that is bored easily. give him something interesting to do and it will keep his attention all day. maybe the teachers need riddlen to cope with there problems

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Now a days they would rather dope kids up then try to parent or teacher them. It like the parents that give their kids cell phones at age 7 and wonder why they become problems and dont listen to them.

Im not very old, just 30, but ive seen a dramatic downhill slide in parenting. I just make sure im not like that with my 2 little ones.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Im not very old, just 30, but ive seen a dramatic downhill slide in parenting. I just make sure im not like that with my 2 little ones.

Amen on that one. Parent pressure beware. Some of Us parents are not going to give things to our kids that kids shouldn't need or want to have. We will be parents and not just folks with children. Or worse yet adults with child-friends.

I love my son but he is NOT my freind. We are freindly, we do alot of things that parents whoa re freinds with their kids do, BUT that said I AM HIS PARENT, NOT HIS FREIND.

I love my daughters but they aren't my freinds. We do things together , but I am ALWAYS their Parent. I care enough for them to protect and care for them as only a prent will do.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I understand that there tends to be a negative feeling towards the idea of giving kids meds. Especially for mental disorders. I agree that in some cases the use of meds is abused, but to completely discount ADD, or worse assume that it's a made up disorder, is to show a basic ignorance to the fact that as science and medicene grow and improve new diagnoses are possible. This includes ADD.
    I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult. And I can honestly say my life has greatly improved with the use of meds. My wife even says or marriage is better as a result. If and when you take the time truly study this, as opposed to bashing, you'll discover that Doctors are able to see with cat scans that the basic functioning of the brain is different for people who have ADD as opposed to not.
    Now the flip side of the coin is I definetly agree that I see kids from time to time that just need a good old fashion spanking. Case in point I was in a store the other day and watched as a kid ran all getting into everything. The mom kept telling him to stop. Once he told his Mom NO. She didn't do anything other than repeat Ok I'm going to count to 3. What ever beat that kid he won't die!.
    This is just my point of view from the other side.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I had a friend whos 3 year old was put in foster care, and the foster parents put him on ritalin. there's no problem with him, he's a normal 3 year old.

Is it me or do parents just expect their kids to be born perfectly behaved?

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    BTW Lighten UP!

It was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

A simple over stated situation for sake of HUMOR not intended to be a debate. That's why I stuck it in the break room. Sorry If it offended you. But if simple humor, not mean spirited nasty jokes, but just for humors sake diddys bother you maybe you should get some meds for thicker skin too. Just saying IT WAS A FREAKING JOKE! Come on.

For the record I have no {"negative feeling"} toward children being medicated. I have a problem when the prescriber is a teacher not a doctor. I have a problem when medication is prescribed to allow the child to remain in school whether the student actually needs it or not, or has been seen by a Medical professional or not. All too often the diagnosis is made long before the student ever talks to a Doctor. And for the record there are many things that can cause a child to misbehave, beside being ADD.

You want a serious debate on KIDS and Meds take it to the appropriate area. I might even stop in and post a few FACTS on the subject. Might. Most likely won't. After all I was just posting a simple little joke as a sign of the times not an attack on anyone or any disorder.

syntax357

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Syracuse, Indiana
    It just seems that there is a pill or medication for everything now days. I just seen one about low T or sumthin like that. My ex-wife has my kids on soooo many meds its hard to keep track of. Its really sad because they are just normal kids. Everything is a disorder anymore, Whats that your brains fell outta your head, well take this med it will help with that disorder. I understand that science has moved forward alot but, man, come on! How many people have autism (no offence to thoes who do) my oldest boy is really hyper just like I was as a kid but now he has adhd and is autistic WTF is up with the world today. Remember when you crashed your bike really bad trying ro jump that red wagon on gravel, Who was there to pick you up? For me I just brushed the gravel off and tried to jump again. I had a rock in my head for a few years lol. Now days that wb child abuse if you arent there to tell him not to jump the wagon

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I got the joke and even thought it was funny, but the comments that followed are what gave me pause. I'm tired of some peoples attitude that ADD is simply all in ones head. Of course it is, along with depression, bi-polar and other mental health issues.
    Now having said that I do agree that it some cases meds are used when better parenting is really the answer. (Believe me, I feel this way ALOT.) I agree that it should be the dr and parents call, but to hear some peoples attitude that it couldn't possibly be a true mental health issue make me think that some peoples attitudes aren't keeping up with science and medicine. I do apologize for taking your light joke and turning it into a serious debate. That certainly wasn't my intention. carry on with the jokes and funny story.

mmills63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Shelbyville, IN.
    How Stupid We (society) Have Become!!!

I thought members may get a kick out of this!!!!:patriot:

H
    IGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2008

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 -
    Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2007 -
    School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 -
    Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2007 -
    Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 -
    Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2007 -
    Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 -
    Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
    2007 -
    Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

- Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock
    - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
    - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 -
    Ants die.
    2007 -
    ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 -
    In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2007 -
    Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    In New York and California, it's illegal to have the words "Guns" and "children" in the same sentence. When you add "school" to that mix it becomes super-duper illegal.:rolleyes:

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    I'd like to add an alternative to scenario 8 that was suggested to a teacher friend of mine by a "concerned" parent. Kids falls down and gets hurt on the playground: Parent suggests "kids are kept in doors and not allowed to have an active recess, or that they all are required to wear protective gear, such as helmets, on the playgrounds." I'm not over 30 but this is still ridiculous.

Top Bottom