• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    A couple was out at ECPR this morning shooting a variety of handguns. The lady kept having FTE issues with a SIG Mosquito, but she usually could clear it easily. At one point, I saw her hubby working on the SIG, trying to pry out a stuck. Being the helpful sort, I went over to see if I could help.

He handed me the gun, and I dug out my trusty little Swiss Army knife. I looked at the rim, and sure enough, there was an indentation, so I assumed it was another FTE.

NEVER ASSUME!!!!

I had the slide locked back, gun in left hand, knife in right, screwdriver blade under the rim prying against the breech face, muzzle pointed downrange.

BANG!!!!

Damn thing went off!!! My face got peppered by hot gas and powder. Thank God for eyeglasses, nothing hit my eyes.

I wound up dropping the gun on the deck and jumped a few feet backwards.

The bullet never made it out of the barrel, we knocked it out with a cleaning rod. Which brings me to the moral of this story;

Use a cleaning rod if at all possible to remove a stuck .22LR case from the chamber instead of prying it out. It could have been a lot worse.

In the 7 or so years I've worked the range, this is the first time something like this has happened. Murphy is always hanging around, waiting....

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Wow I'm glad to hear no one got seriously hurt.

Although you just said to use a cleaning rod. What if it had went off with the cleaning rod in the barrel and your hand on the rod. Might of hurt your hand pretty well.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I'm 99.9% certain that prying on the inside of the rim is what set the round off.

A cleaning or range rod pushing from the muzzle toward the breach wouldn't touch the rim, only the bullet.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Of course, if it wasn't the prying that set it off, and one were using a rod to remove the round, then one's hand/fingers would have been in front of, or @ least near, the muzzle. Just a thought.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Safety rules need to be followed religiously. Good on you for maintaining a safer muzzle direction while working on the pistol.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    Thank you for sharing your story. That way we all learn from these events that take place. Glad your ok!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Of course, if it wasn't the prying that set it off, and one were using a rod to remove the round, then one's hand/fingers would have been in front of, or @ least near, the muzzle. Just a thought.

This is what I was thinking. What if it wasn't the prying that set it off, but rather a late ignition of the powder? Its hard to say what could of happened if done the other way. But either way I'm glad no one was hurt.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    It was quite a while between when the malf happened and it went boom. A good 5 minutes, maybe more. I know the NRA says to wait at least 30 seconds for a hangfire tohappen.

One of those head scratchers...

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I once had a 22 explode in my face, from the breach of my AR w/ a conversion unit. I saw the prettiest red/yellow/orange flames! I wasn't wearing eye protection @ the time & it's a miracle I didn't get any damage to my eyes. I am glad you were not hurt!

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    With the benefit of hindsight, based on the experience you had sjstill, the safest way to handle the situation (after waiting awhile for a hangfire) is to lock open the breech like you did, put a towel or sandbag over the breech, and push the cartridge back out of the chamber with a cleaning rod held on the sides with a towel or glove. If the pressure didn't push the bullet through the barrel, it would move the cleaning rod even less. Just in case, keep the muzzle pointed down range and don't put your hand in front of the rod.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

I've had a similar situation with a cap and ball revolver. The cap went off but didn't ignite the powder (black powder substitute). The ball moved enough to lock the cylinder and prevent disassembling the revolver. This is a worse situation since there is no breech to open to limit the pressure. After waiting for a hangfire, I have used a cleaning rod held on the sides with a glove or towel to push the ball back into the cylinder. If anyone knows a better solution, I would like to hear it. I don't believe putting another cap on the nipple is a good approach, since shooting with uncompressed powder can result in too high pressures.

Paul

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm 99.9% certain that prying on the inside of the rim is what set the round off.

A cleaning or range rod pushing from the muzzle toward the breach wouldn't touch the rim, only the bullet.

Think again, when that round breaks free if there is enough force to strike and set off the primer rim that round is going some where.

Top Bottom