• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    :ingo:Let me start by saying that I want to get a safe, one that reasonably protects against fire and theft. The wife is on board for this so I want to make sure I do good research.

Two days ago I was almost decided on a Liberty Fatboy Jr. at GM. Well I want to do what I can to NOT by it at GM. That started me looking at others.

I want the largest I can get for around $1200. Then I have to figure out how to get it delivered etc.

Graffunder & Fort Knox are out of my price range.

Sturdy Gun Safes Sound good but seems a bit far away and pricey.

Patriot Safes, Pentagon Safes all seem ok, but again a bit to high.

Winchester & Liberty Safes seem the best bang for the buck for now.

I want a large enough safe that I can afford.

So here is my next step, I am going to call Johnson Safe here in Indiana and see if I can do business in the state of my residence. :rockwoot::ingo:

I do not need the best, but I do not want a Chinese one either, if I can avoid it.

Opinions are welcome. I have been reading up on these for a while.

Sidenote: I want NO electronic lock.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Call Jeff Johnson or better yet go to the 1500 and see his safes for yourself this weekend. I have a Johnson safe and am very impressed. Tell him INGO sent you.

So here is my next step, I am going to call Johnson Safe here in Indiana and see if I can do business in the state of my residence. :rockwoot::ingo:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I wish I could go to the 1500, but if I do I will not have any money left for my safe :)

I will give him a call, I just hope he has something in my size needs and price range. I dont care how bad it looks, scratch and dent would be ok. I just want the space and functionality.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lots of businesses are closing up and liquidating everything. You might find a good sized safe locally if you keep your eyes open.
    I found this cast iron beauty in Dallas that I'm sending back to indy this week.
    It's not quite tall enough for long guns over 36" oal, but I couldn't pass it up.
    It's ancient, it's ugly, and it's freaking heavy.
    I'll have to get it rekeyed(or find a combination mechanism that will work), but I don't know if I'll even paint it.
    I'm getting a pretty good freight deal (free) as I'm sending back some gear I bought off a company here.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    yes those are the best by far but i can't help but admitting i love cannon safes mainly because of the warranty. they will replace your safe basically no matter what lol. get good insurance on your guns and a decent safe that is atleast 700lbs. me and my buddy who is a pro football player had a hard time getting it in the house. then set it up right where it is bolted down and load it up with ammo. also set it up so the safe can't be pried open or tipped over to be pried open. and again get with the nra and your home owners insurance and set it up to have your self covered and it will be good

imo a safe is just like a fence keeping honest folks honest. if someone really wants in they will probably find a way and if not they will just haul it off and open it at another location.

take small steps like letting your neighbors and (if country living) let your local law enforcement know what type of veh's to expect in your drive way and if in doubt have them call the police to check it out. my neighbor will call the police if a veh is in my drive way and none of our veh's are in the drive way they call the sheriff's no matter what. do other things like mentioned above bolt it down so its hard for them to take away. also make sure the door is facing a wall so they can't get a good pry bar in and put their weight on it. the little things make the difference imo.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Called Johnson and am considering it. He seemed very nice and I think he builds a quality safe for the money.

Still checking on things,

The Liberty fat Boy Jr. at GM will cost $200 to deliver, so that is now pretty much out. I dont think that $1400 for a liberty is smart when I can get better for that $$.

The journey continues..

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Todays update:

Friend gave me this link,

Sam's Club - SC35 72"H x 36"W Fire and Security Safe by Cannon

0075107700558_LG.jpg

Dimensions: 72"H x 36"W x 22"D
    Built In power box
    UL RSC security rated exceeds CA DOJ requirements
    Weight: 700 lbs
    30 gun capacity

Security features:
    1" locking bolts
    3 layer armor plate protects lock
    Thick 1" composite door
    3 point handle
    Spring loaded re-locker keeps safe locked - even after lock has been removed
    Internal hinges
    Commercial-grade group 2 lock
    Unibody construction is stronger

for $1225 to the house..I know its China but that is not bad....

I am also looking at a Sturdy Safe, well made but I would rather go with a Johnson, but that would be $500 more.....than the Cannon....

I spent some time talking with Sturdy, the shipping was $225 from California!

But it was a total of $1800...that is too much.

The journey continues....

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    A safe is a sizable purchase and there is much to be considered.

One of the parameters you have set is price. In the price range you are buying what is called a R.S.C. or residential security container. Take for example the Sams Club safe you posted. Read the description and you will see it is RSC rated.

If 1,200.00 is all you can afford right now, I would challenge you to save more money. A safe is something that does not seem fun or exciting but I can tell you it is one of those things that you will love. It is not something you want to buy again.

If you think you can get by with a 24" safe, then get a 36". Trust me on this. Think about what size you want, then go up one size.

My recommendation would be to buy from a locksmith/safe dealer. They are usually licensed and bonded. They know their safes and should any issues rise, they are there to help. They generally have a stair climber and equipment to get the job done safely.

I would not buy from large retail stores. If an employee was of the thief type, it would be a perfect opportunity to achieve their score pretty easy. I wont go into how this is done.

I wish you luck in your search and this will be something you will not ever be sorry about buying.

LAZY DOG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    CANNON SAFES CAN BE OBTAINED AT YOUR LOCOL TSC FOR AROUND 700.00.THAT IS 27 GUN UNIT 500 POUNDS

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    A safe is a sizable purchase and there is much to be considered.

That is why I am taking my time, :yesway:

If 1,200.00 is all you can afford right now, I would challenge you to save more money. A safe is something that does not seem fun or exciting but I can tell you it is one of those things that you will love. It is not something you want to buy again.

True, I have the cash now so that is why I want it, I dont have that much value yet to protect, but someday I will.

If you think you can get by with a 24" safe, then get a 36". Trust me on this. Think about what size you want, then go up one size.

Yeah, that is the #1 thing I read, which is why I am thinking I can get a 'cheaper' one that is larger than a more expensive one that is better but smaller.

My recommendation would be to buy from a locksmith/safe dealer. They are usually licensed and bonded. They know their safes and should any issues rise, they are there to help. They generally have a stair climber and equipment to get the job done safely.

I have looked but cost is usually an issue.

I would not buy from large retail stores. If an employee was of the thief type, it would be a perfect opportunity to achieve their score pretty easy. I wont go into how this is done.

I can only assume that this happens, but it has to be very rare I would hope.

I wish you luck in your search and this will be something you will not ever be sorry about buying.

Thanks for your input. It is an important purchase for sure.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Tractor Supply,

3910084.jpg

Well I looked and its what I expected. Not that good of a quality but one that would work.

I just want a good safe, American Made if I can.

*** Funny thing is I ran into something that is just plain ODD. Check this out..

Gun Safe, and Gun Safes by Sportsman Steel Gun Safe Company

Seems like a good safe, shipping would kill me etc etc but nice people and answered my questions. Admitted Sturdy Safes were good, but he believed his was better. He told me that most of these Chinese safes come from the same factory in China, even told me the name of the company and the owners name. Hmm. The size of safe that I want to get, he tells me that it comes from China at around $300.Ok fair enough,

then I get a call from an email from last night, from these guys...

Gun Safes,Best Quality Gun Safe,Fireproof Gun Safes - Get the lowest prices at Homelandsafes.com

Tells me his are American made and Sportsman Steel Safes were actually Chinese. He claims he knows this because some of his workers came from sportsman steel safe company when they got laid off because of Chinese purchases. This guy sounded completly FOS. Still, it intrigued me so I thought what the hell and I called Sportsmans back,

Gun Safe, and Gun Safes by Sportsman Steel Gun Safe Company

I told him this story and he laughed. Said it did not surprise him because he knew the guy. He used to weld the safes for Sportsman Safes until he went out on his own. He seemed a bit upset and understandably so. And then he made me an offer. He said if I by the safe from him, he will send me a picture every morning of it being made. I would not be the first that he has done this for.

Wow, what an adventure this has become. I wonder why 90% of gun safes are made in Los Angeles or close thereabouts.. Makes you wonder.

At least I found a place I can get a Liberty Fat Boy series or Jr that is not at Gander Mountain. So what happens? Gander puts that EXACT safe on sale this week.

Current Sales - Gander Mountain? > We Live Outdoors - Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Outdoor Recreation, Apparel & Footwear, Gunsmithing

100317_22v1r_img_369908392.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    One important thing to look at is the gauge steel the safe has, the smaller the number the thicker the steel. Some you will look at that is like say 20 gauge and think it is good enough but someone with something like a sturdy crash axe can tear it open. Also look at the opening between the door and the safe.... some are wide enough to stick a pry bar in, other's are not. With a very thick steel and very small to no gap someone is going to have to take A LOT of time to get a pry bar in.

When I get my safe I plan to get the best and largest I can find and be done with it.... and pay them to deliver and in stall......

Putting the opening side (not the face of the safe duh haha) agaist a wall is a good idea, theives would have to move the safe to get any kind of leverage on the pry bar.....

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Yeah I want 10 gauge min, but they get expensive. I am still searching the web educating myself on them.

Just reviewed the Browning Medalion. Nice safe but $$$.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah I want 10 gauge min, but they get expensive. I am still searching the web educating myself on them.

Just reviewed the Browning Medalion. Nice safe but $$$.

Expensive yes but you have to ask yourself what the value of the gun's and other things that will be in there or what you will have at a later date.

Safe's are like car's, you get what you pay for ya know?

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Expensive yes but you have to ask yourself what the value of the gun's and other things that will be in there or what you will have at a later date.

Safe's are like car's, you get what you pay for ya know?

That is why I am doing my research, it is a very large task indeed. So many choices.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Some things that are a MUST:

External hinges - they don't affect the bolts locking the door in any way. The door has a 180 degree opening radius. Also, as in my heavy SOB, the door can be easily be removed in seconds to transport in two pieces.

Fire Rating - PLEASE be aware that the average house fire burns at 1500 degrees for 30-45 min. - if you want fire protection and pick a safe with under this rating - you will be disappointed in event of a house fire, no matter what the salesman or brochure says. Mine is rated at 1880 degree for 90 mins - several extra hundred $$ well spent.

Bolt Size/ Tool pry rating - 8 or 10 1" bolts won't do much to stop somebody determined to get in your safe. Again this cost more money, but 12-16 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 bolts will offer up to and over 60 min tool pry ratings.

Just a few things I thought to be important when I spent several months looking for the best I could afford. I ended up spending a few more hundred than I wanted to, but I am so happy I did every time I look at my safe - I know I have done well in protecting firearms & and paperwork. I love my Patriot safe and was all above tail gate delivery for about $1800. I have a few pics in my folders if you want to check out

INGunOwners - bw210's Album: Safe Pictures

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom