• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I'm looking to reload some 5.56 and looking for a simple cliff notes if you will of the differences between loading 5.56 and .223

Lets say there both 55gr FMJBT and using Hodgdon H335 powder.

Now I believe there is a difference in the thickness of the brass if not mistaken? But beyond that I am unable to find 5.56 data as far as powder loads, etc..... There is .223 info but thats .223 unless there exactly the same.

So what makes a 5.56 a 5.56, over just another .223?

Thanks for the help, :)

Eric

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    IIRC Speer loads their data loads in IMI brass which is mil-spec brass and the data they publish is loaded to 223 pressures. Don't have my manuals on hand(I'm at work:xmad:) to verify. I also believe Nosler uses mil-spec equivalent brass for the data they publish.

It is not using H335 but I do remember that Accurate's website used to have NRA Service Rifle load data for the AR's and IIRC it was also loaded to 5.56 specs from 55gr to 75gr pills. I think it is gone from the site but I am sure you can e-mail them for the info they used to have on the website.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Thanks everyone for the tips and the link to that website. That did help answer a few of my questions.

Let me ask it another way.

What would you load in a .223 and what would you change to load a 5.56?

Example. Use SRP such as the CCI 400 for .223 and CCI #41 for 5.56?

I'm looking for the subtle differences.

Would you load the exact powder charge for both, or more / less for 5.56?

Now thats all based on the same grain bullet.

Thanks

Eric

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i believe the load data itself is all the same, but since the 5.56 casings are thicker there is less internal volume which in turn creates the higher pressures.... dont quote me on that though... regardless of brass i load everything .223 fairly mild .223 loads at that... just enough to get 100 percent reliability.... i also dont use my ar/s to do anything but plink with. let me add that all of my chambers are 5.56... and from the article linked above if you have a .223 chamber you could just trim the 5.56 casings to the proper length and still be safe.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    With a 55 gr. FMJBT bullet, as long as you stay under maximum recommended powder charges in a reloading manual, keep your brass trimmed to minimum length and keep the COAL matched to your barrel's throat, you shouldn't have any pressure problems. That being said, you should always be looking for signs of pressure, i.e. flattened, cratered or blown primers, when working up a load. As far as primers go, most match shooters seem to prefer CCI Benchrest Primers or Remington Benchrest Primers. If you don't have a match rifle and aren't shooting out to 600 yards or beyond, you probably won't see any difference in accuracy. For most applications standard small rifle primers are fine. If you are using Wolf primers, you might want to opt for the "magnum" primers, as the Wolf standard primers are have thinner cups and can be pierced when shooting higher pressure .223 loads. IMHO there are really no Cliff Notes shortcuts to reloading. I'm still learning, and I've been doing it for over 35 years.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Brass is NOT an issue as Mil-Spec 5.56 brass is not necessarily thicker or of less capacity than commercial .223 brass. This is an old wives tale that just will not go away. Assemble an assortment of brass and weigh samples or do liquid capacity tests yourself for comparison if you like. I have. Back in the '60s, as an example, Lake City brass was very heavy and thick, much more so than commercial. Now days LC 02 to 08 can be some of the highest capacity and lightest brass available. I have examples of Lapua that has less capacity than some of my LC.

The only difference to be concerned with is the allowable pressure differences between 5.56 and .223, 60,000 CUP as opposed to 50,000 CUP respectably. Freebore differences between the 2 are something that any reputable handloader takes into consideration regardless of which he is loading.

Sounds as though the OP is wanting a specific recipe difference which would be impossible to give without a supply of surplus powder of a specific lot# (H 335 canister powder won't get you there) and the use of pressure testing equipment. I load a lot of surplus powder in 5.56/.223 and just because I've pressure tested some of my hotter 5.56 loads doesn't mean you could use the same loads safely due to lot differences in powder alone, not to mention other variations.

Stick with approved published data from reputable facilities unless you have access to the proper testing equipment.

Top Bottom