nonimmigrant alien, carry license (first post)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Hi...I'm new to the forum. I have a question about applying for a carry license, if anyone can offer any advice on this I'd appreciate it!

I've lived in IN for a year, and various other states before that. I'm a non-immigrant alien i.e. I have a visa that allows me to live here but not a green card. I can legally own a gun under Federal and IN law, and I have bought quite a few guns from FFLs over the last few years and even have a C & R license. I checked the IN law about carry licensing, and it looks to me like the *shall issue* applies to anyone who can legally own a gun:

(e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:

(4) is:
    (A) a citizen of the United States; or
    (B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry
    a firearm in the United States under federal law;
    the superintendent shall issue to the applicant a qualified or an
    unlimited license to carry any handgun lawfully possessed by the
    applicant

I take that to mean anyone who can legally posses a firearm can have a carry license in IN.

Unfortunately, the application form you have to use online requires an INS number for non-citizens, and that is something a non-immigrant alien would not have. (You don't need it when filling out a 4473)

Can anyone here shed any light on this? Is my interpretation correct, and if so what can I do about the application form? Thanks!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I will always defer to the wisdom of those who have already responded. But, if an INS number is "required" on the application, and you don't have one. It seems to me that little thing will stop the process.

It seems simple to me....

I am not shedding any tears for you either.

Oh, and welcome to INGO.....:welcome:

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys! I sent them an email asking what to do about this field in the application form, hopefully they will get back to me before too long.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys! I sent them an email asking what to do about this field in the application form, hopefully they will get back to me before too long.

Yea, asking the ISP first would be a great move. Otherwise it might end up getting rejected the first time and really slow the process down. Best of luck.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Have you tried calling them? I find that most places answer/return phone calls much quicker than emails.

I haven't called...when it comes to things like this I prefer to have it in writing, and I don't doubt that the reluctance to reply is for a similar reason :)

I just sent a friendly reminder.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Agree on asking ISP, but would not take their word on it either way. I suggest you call a lawyer, negotiate a fee, and let them handle the application process.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Well my gentle nudge must have worked, I got a reply today. It wasn't as clear as I'd like but it does answer some things. They said I should "include" my admission number and that I would have to supply documentation to prove my exemption under 18 USC 922(y) (2). The documentation part is easy - they said I can fax or email it. But they didn't say exactly how I can include my admission number, and since the application form only has a box for an INS registration number, I'm not sure what to do next. I don't want to go putting something that is technically not an INS number in there, unless I am sure that's what they want me to do. I've asked for clarification on that, hopefully it won't take another week :)

EDIT...they got back to me within a few hours to say I should put my admission number in the INS number field on the form. I'll post more updates when there is more news, but it's looking fairly positive so far.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom