• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Glad I live outside their jurisdiction. I like the HCSO better, anyway. At least they don't tell you to be a victim.

Kevin was with Westfield for just over a year and before that he was I believe a captain over investigations with HCSD since just after Doug became Sheriff. Before that he was with HCSD for about ten years.

Kevin's a good police officer.

:ingo:

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Guess its different

Where I live we have a part time town marshall and there may only be one deputy on duty for the whole county at night. I know and like most of the cops around here, but as far as relying on them to save me from an attack...

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i once pulled over a vehicle southbound on I-65. best i can remember she was 85 in a 65(obviously a while ago before the speed change). i was in a slick top and it was early evening. when i lite her up she pulled to the shoulder but stayed moving at 30 mph for about a mile. i was signal 10 the entire time and barking over the PA. once she had seen the northbound marked car cut the median she stopped. there appeared to be 4 occupants and the plates returned invalid. i took her down in a felony stop and approached the vehicle. was four 62 year old women who were all in tears and couldn't hardly control themselves. they had heard about an ipersonator on the news and thought i was he. plates had the blue cover on them and i couldn't get the numbers right on my computer. all ended well and i learned a lesson that day, don't assume everyone is a runner just cause they don't stop. i congratulated her and her friends for being so aware and cautious and sent them on their way. i'll never forget that.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    i once pulled over a vehicle southbound on I-65. best i can remember she was 85 in a 65(obviously a while ago before the speed change). i was in a slick top and it was early evening. when i lite her up she pulled to the shoulder but stayed moving at 30 mph for about a mile. i was signal 10 the entire time and barking over the PA. once she had seen the northbound marked car cut the median she stopped. there appeared to be 4 occupants and the plates returned invalid. i took her down in a felony stop and approached the vehicle. was four 62 year old women who were all in tears and couldn't hardly control themselves. they had heard about an ipersonator on the news and thought i was he. plates had the blue cover on them and i couldn't get the numbers right on my computer. all ended well and i learned a lesson that day, don't assume everyone is a runner just cause they don't stop. i congratulated her and her friends for being so aware and cautious and sent them on their way. i'll never forget that.

:yesway:

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    There is one major flaw in not resisting that (imo) trumps any kind of potential benefit:

When you cooperate, you place your well-being in the hands of the criminal.
    Who obviously does not have your well-being foremost in their mind.

I don't even trust g-men to make decisions about my safety, why would I allow a perp a privilege that I don't trust my government with?

I prefer to make the decision about my safety myself -- go figure!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    It is also proven that in most general cases that complying with criminals will lessen your chance of abuse or even death.

Um...No.

Reread dburkheads post which I have conveniently reposted below for your reading pleasure:

According to the Department of Justice based on a study commissioned by the National Institute of Justice in 2005, at least in the case of rape and attempted rape:

[/b]

Most self-protective actions significantly reduce the risk that a rape will be completed. In particular, certain actions reduce the risk of rape more than 80 percent compared to nonresistance. The most effective actions, according to victims, are attacking or struggling against their attacker, running away, and verbally warning the attacker.

And:

According to the researchers, the only self-protective tactics that appear to increase the risk of injury significantly were those that are ambiguous and not forceful. These included stalling, cooperating and screaming from pain or fear.

Finally, even when the rape is completed:

separate study* found that even when a rape was completed, women who used some form of resistance had better mental health outcomes than those who did not resist.

So why in the world is anyone in a position of responsibility recommending anything but resisting?

*Ullman, S.E., "Rape avoidance: Self-protection strategies for women." In Schewe, P.A. (Ed.). Preventing violence in relationships: Interventions across the life span. (pp. 137-162). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2002.

There is one major flaw in not resisting that (imo) trumps any kind of potential benefit:

When you cooperate, you place your well-being in the hands of the criminal.
    Who obviously does not have your well-being foremost in their mind.

I don't even trust g-men to make decisions about my safety, why would I allow a perp a privilege that I don't trust my government with?

I prefer to make the decision about my safety myself -- go figure!

+1 :yesway:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    You'll never hear a cop recommend that a citizen get a LTCH and legitimate training to use a handgun to save themselves.

Not in public anyway. It would freak out the folks that might actually believe the police will be able to save them anytime or place they might encounter a bad guy.

Boone County Sheriff openly admits he thinks everyone who is legally allowed to do so own and carry a gun. I believe he was even quoted saying the solution to events like the Virginia Tech massacre is "one armed citizen". I don't remember where I read that, but for an elected LE official to openly advocate such a thing after an event that makes such talk very un-PC means he has very strong beliefs.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    IIRC, if they're in plain clothes, they have to be in a marked cruiser. Unmarked and plain clothes, I'm not rolling my window down.

YDRC

IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    Indiana Code 9-30-2

LE1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    You'll never hear a cop recommend that a citizen get a LTCH and legitimate training to use a handgun to save themselves.

Not in public anyway. It would freak out the folks that might actually believe the police will be able to save them anytime or place they might encounter a bad guy.

I could not disagree more Police Officers are gun carriers everywhere they go. To carry a gun is a major responsibity and it should not be undertaken litely. Lets be clear a soundly trained individual with attention to laws and saftey will end a violent situation far before LE can arrive to deal with it. I hope I never have to use my firearm but to say what you said is far from the way the average LEO feels in our current society. You abviously do not know any officers.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I for one do not care what any police officer has to say regarding the issues of me defending myself, my family, or anyone else for that matter. I am a responsible and reasonable person and have a right to defend myself and my property and shall do that as I deem fit.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I for one do not care what any police officer has to say regarding the issues of me defending myself, my family, or anyone else for that matter. I am a responsible and reasonable person and have a right to defend myself and my property and shall do that as I deem fit.
    is this not why officers they themselves carry guns and other weapons...to protect themselves

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I could not disagree more Police Officers are gun carriers everywhere they go. To carry a gun is a major responsibity and it should not be undertaken litely. Lets be clear a soundly trained individual with attention to laws and saftey will end a violent situation far before LE can arrive to deal with it. I hope I never have to use my firearm but to say what you said is far from the way the average LEO feels in our current society. You abviously do not know any officers.

All good points, even if this is a thread that has gone a little over two years without comment. ;) All of that is a roundabout way of saying that while the older stuff on here certainly has value, there are lots of current conversations going on to get involved with also. Feel free to join in those also, and :welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

Blessings,
    Bill

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    pinheadnecro2.jpg

LE1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2011

No offense; good luck with that as they and the courts are the ones you will be answering to when you use force; if you like it or not its the law.

Top Bottom