• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As mentioned in the first post, This form 1 is approved. It has the approved box checked, the signature of the examiner and approval date, even shows as approved in the ATF computer system. The paperwork does not have the canceled stamp on it either due to error, they ran out ( lol) or they dont use them anymore. A message has already been left on the examiners VM.
    Just curious if anyone else ever had an APPROVED form sent to them missing the stamp.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I have on a form 4, they usually mailed the wrong one. They keep the stamped copy, or at least are supposed to. Call or email the examiner that approved it...you want the stamp, which is prove of tax payment. Which examiner? If I have their email I can pm it to you.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It does happen and they won't normally do anything about it.
    The stamp is really meaningless once it's canceled and that's what they do when they put it on your form. They write the serial number of the firearm on it and that is considered cancellation.
    You didn't pay $200 for a stamp, you are not buying a stamp, waiting for a stamp, needing a stamp or any of that other silliness. You are paying a tax on the transfer or manufacture of an NFA firearm and the stamp is just proof that the tax has been paid. The form itself if approved is also proof of the tax being paid. So as long as you have the form with the approval and signature at the bottom you're fine without a stamp. Been doing this a long time and had a lot of experience with missing stamps, it has never been a problem with ATF on any compliance inspection or other situations.

Frank

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    It does happen and they won't normally do anything about it.
    The stamp is really meaningless once it's canceled and that's what they do when they put it on your form. They write the serial number of the firearm on it and that is considered cancellation.
    You didn't pay $200 for a stamp, you are not buying a stamp, waiting for a stamp, needing a stamp or any of that other silliness. You are paying a tax on the transfer or manufacture of an NFA firearm and the stamp is just proof that the tax has been paid. The form itself if approved is also proof of the tax being paid. So as long as you have the form with the approval and signature at the bottom you're fine without a stamp. Been doing this a long time and had a lot of experience with missing stamps, it has never been a problem with ATF on any compliance inspection or other situations.

Frank

While that is true, that's not really the point(at least not to me). Part of the "experience" is getting the stamp. I have a stamp collector t-shirt that I got from DBTT. It's like keeping the dealer window sticker when you buy a new car. There's no real reason to keep it, but a lot of people like to have them.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'd be annoyed if I didn't get the stamp affixed to mine. I think mine was a copy of a stamp and not an actual stamp though. I paid $200, I want my stamp.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    While that is true, that's not really the point(at least not to me). Part of the "experience" is getting the stamp. I have a stamp collector t-shirt that I got from DBTT. It's like keeping the dealer window sticker when you buy a new car. There's no real reason to keep it, but a lot of people like to have them.

Agreed for the experience, but if for some reason there's no stamp attached, I doubt ATF will care. It's like having an approved form in the mail and it gets lost somewhere. The ATF will reissue another approved form, but there won't be a new stamp on it

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I got an approved form 4 back one time ( M60 ) with no stamp....I called the examiner and they said "ooops...sorry...mail it back and we will put a stamp on it but it is fine without the stamp" I declined their offer and when I sold that gun it transferred to the next owner just fine.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I guess it's expecting too much for BATFE to follow any protocol (stamp or no stamp) consistently? If we have to jump through hoops to obtain something as innocuous as a suppressor (personal protective equipment, or at least we want to be considerate of rural neighbors), I think consistency is a reasonable expectation.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I get what everyone is saying about the stamp not being necessary, but having and showing your "stamp" for an NFA item, when asked, is all I've ever heard. Suppose I'm pulled over and my SBR is on the back seat and the officer asks to see my stamp. Could he possibly not understand that I wasn't provided a stamp, but only the approval document? It would only be a quick confirmation, but I would rather have it and avoid problems.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have been collecting and shooting NFA items since 1993 and in that time frame I have had ONE instance where anyone ever asked to see ANY paperwork regarding them.

I was shooting with a friend at a TINY range in a state park here in TN in 1997 and the Park Ranger came up and asked me about the M16 and the Colt SMG I was shooting. I talked to him for a minute and just kind of as an afterthought he said "Um...I do suppose you have your paper work for those don't you?" I said "Sure come to the car and I'll be happy to show you." He looked at the form 4s (I'm not sure he even knew what he was looking at) I pointed out the Sheriff's sign off, the examiner's sign off , the approval box checked and he handed it back to me and told me to have a nice day. I asked if he wanted to shoot them and he said he probably shouldn't and that was it. Other than that I have never had anyone at any range ask to see anything .

Top Bottom