• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Ok,

First off, I know nobody here can read my mind... so let me make it clear I don't want you to... in fact if you do I will find you :draw:....

I have about $400 to spend. I have a good .45, .40, .380 and a 12 ga... what else should I look into?

I am kind of thinking maybe a 9mm but I absolutely dont care, in fact I was thinking of a highpoint 9mm rifle.. What do those run?

I am just looking for something to have fun with, I dont want a piece of crap (like the highpoint) but I am looking to keep it in budget.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.... thanks in advance.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I would look into some kind of .22, 15-22, 10/22 or Marlin 60 are within your price range

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Cant go wrong with a .22 Cheap to feed and fun to shoot all day. Best purchase I ever made and now I have 3. A semi-auto, revolver, and bolt action rifle. With ammo prices the way they are these days and probably only going to get worse, the .22 is a great way to shoot alot and not break the bank. Good luck with your decision.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Depending where you are located you can get a S&W 642 or 442 new for about $385 (Before S&W $50 mail in rebate).

And after the rebate you'd be down to $335. Not bad for a new .38 special that is super light

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Depends on what you want to do? Do you shoot any competitions? or want to start?

That would highly influence your choice.

If its just to buy, shoot and throw into a safe, anything works well :)

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You can find hi points for $250 easy.
    Get your posts up and check the classified section.

Personally, I'd go for a .22 first. Every collection NEEDS a .22

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hi Points go anywhere for under 200 used and just over 200 new (and at higher than normal pricing).

Dom hit it on the head: The question is very vague. Defense? Competition? Plinking? What is the purpose (or purposes for the gun). It's like asking "I want a car, what is a good one? My price range is below $40K". With the question in it's existing form, ANYTHING is "good".

The Marlin plus a Hi Point would be a decent combination for anything: The Marlin is highly accurate and cheap to shoot (plinking and even competition), the Hi Point is an effective defense gun that requires no license to carry in the car and cheap to shoot as well (plinking and defense).

I think this also is deviating towards a LongGun thread as well (instead of a pistol one) :dunno:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I suggest a Draco AK pistol. Crap loads of fun, its kind of unique and has much better resale than a highpoint. The price is $350-$400 and ammo is cheap!

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I'd look in to the KelTec in stead of the HI-Point myself and there close to the same price. and you could still look in to the 22 used and be in budget too.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My advice is to get a .22. A used Ruger Mk. II is best deal. Find the ammo it likes and it will shoot like a top line target pistol.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Ok,

First off, I know nobody here can read my mind... so let me make it clear I don't want you to... in fact if you do I will find you :draw:....

I have about $400 to spend. I have a good .45, .40, .380 and a 12 ga... what else should I look into?

I am kind of thinking maybe a 9mm but I absolutely dont care, in fact I was thinking of a highpoint 9mm rifle.. What do those run?

I am just looking for something to have fun with, I dont want a piece of crap (like the highpoint) but I am looking to keep it in budget.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.... thanks in advance.

Ammo. Lots of ammo. In your favorite caliber or two.

I won't buy a weapon unless I can get at least 2K rounds for it. The only exception is my 458 socom. I've only got about 1K rounds, but I do have about 3K bullets and lots of free time to reload.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Suggestions

Given the list of what you have so far. If you are really set on getting a pistol carbine. I would suggest trying to find a used Kel-Tec and getting a Marlin 60. You could also get quite a few

You could also get a Mosin 91 and a bunch of ammo. They are great bolt guns and can be had on the cheap right now. Given you budget you could even find a Finish version and still get some ammo. You could still fit in a .22 also and still be under $400. You'd have 2 fun but cheap rifles and enough ammo for the winter. You could get a Mosin and 10/22, and a little bit of ammo. That's a lot of fun for $400.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Maybe you should get a used S&W 22-15 S&W M&P15-22: A .22 LR Tactical Rifle | The Firearm Blog I think that will fit within your budget.

Midwest Gun Exchange (and possibly the Elkhart store) have the S&W M&P15 16" Tactical 22lr for $379 until December 31st. M&P15-22P 6" Barrel 22lr for $399. Umarex/Colt M4 Carbine 22lr for $449, Umarex/Colt M4 OPS 22lr for $489, and Umarex/Colt M16SPR 22lr w/Quadrail & Flip Up Sights for $529 until the 31st.

Top Bottom