• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Just thinking when I was reloading some 380 the other day. What would happen if you missed placing powder in a cartridge? Is the primer enough to send the bullet down the barrel and plug it? Would this vary by caliber of pistol??

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You MIGHT get lucky and have it leave the barrel, but more than likely it'll get stuck in the barrel and you'll have to beat it out with a brass rod.

If you know which batch may or may not have powder you could possibly weight all of them on an electronic powder scale and pull all the ones with the lowest weight. :dunno:

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Just thinking when I was reloading some 380 the other day. What would happen if you missed placing powder in a cartridge? Is the primer enough to send the bullet down the barrel and plug it? Would this vary by caliber of pistol??
    Probably more revolver vs semi of an issue, I'd venture to say most any semi auto would have enough pressure in the locked breech from just the primer to move it out of the chamber and into the barrel before it stops.

Revolver? You're going to lose some of the pressure at the forcing cone and I wouldn't be surprised to see the cylinder get hung up on the bullet not fully clearing the chamber.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I fired a squib round in a Super Redhawk 44 magnum and the primer had enough umph to get the bullet 2 inches past the forcing cone. Tapped it out with a brass rod.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have, and it will. Careful doing mag dumps!

Depending on your particular loading process, eyeball every load before you put the bullet on top.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I seen a buddy have a squib with a revolver, he didn't catch it and blew up his 686 and pieces went everywhere. The bullet was stuck half way down the barrel.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Unless your using a snub-nose revolver, the most likely result is a squibb.

Though I think there is a primer only 22LR cartridge factory loaded.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Unless your using a snub-nose revolver, the most likely result is a squibb.

Though I think there is a primer only 22LR cartridge factory loaded.
    Agree with everyone else. Probably lodge in the barrel. Which is why you need to check everything when something doesn't feel right.
    I think the powder less 22s are Calibri and not recommended for rifles. Seen a few squibs at ECPR with those in a rifle.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Probably more revolver vs semi of an issue, I'd venture to say most any semi auto would have enough pressure in the locked breech from just the primer to move it out of the chamber and into the barrel before it stops.

You might want to search "squib load" on Youtube to see all the SEMI-AUTO gun aftermaths of a squib load.

The "squib load" is VERY easy to prevent, especially with us reloaders that already have a scale. Any given load will have a known or close enough value of the weight in powder inside the case. All that has to be done is weigh EVERY loaded cartridge you have. If one is missing all or a subtantial amount of its powder it will stick out like a nun in a stripclub.

Ill use a .223 load which uses 23.5 grains of powder. If a specific round didnt get any charge of powder the whole weight of a "loaded" cartridge will be roughly 23.5 grains lighter than any of the good rounds and that will reach up and slap you in the face if you weigh out all of your loaded cartridges.

A decent electronic scale will run around $100 and comes with test weights for calibration. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. Doesnt take long to weight out 500 rounds during a rainy day.

Last edited:

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    You might want to search "squib load" on Youtube to see all the SEMI-AUTO gun aftermaths of a squib load.

The "squib load" is VERY easy to prevent, especially with us reloaders that already have a scale. Any given load will have a known or close enough value of the weight in powder inside the case. All that has to be done is weigh EVERY loaded cartridge you have. If one is missing all or a subtantial amount of its powder it will stick out like a nun in a stripclub.

This may or may not work with rifle loads but not with pistols. With the small amount of weight in a pistol load you can have that much varianc

Ill use a .223 load which uses 23.5 grains of powder. If a specific round didnt get any charge of powder the whole weight of a "loaded" cartridge will be roughly 23.5 grains lighter than any of the good rounds and that will reach up and slap you in the face if you weigh out all of your loaded cartridges.

A decent electronic scale will run around $100 and comes with test weights for calibration. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. Doesnt take long to weight out 500 rounds during a rainy day.

This may work with rifle rounds but I have my doubt about pistols. With the lower charge weight you could have that much variance in just the brass!

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Like others have said, it's called a squib. They can be dangerous if the bullet goes far enough down the bore for you to cycle another round in.

You can usually tell when it happens because the sound and felt recoil are different, plus the case doesn't extract properly.

I have a light setup above my loader that points directly into the bottom of my brass so I can verify that there is powder in there or not before I seat the bullet.

Top Bottom