• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I was browsing on gunbroker (don't we all;-), and found an rifle that caught my eye. Looking it over, I was pleased to discover the seller lived in Indiana. Now the rifle looked all the nicer--no added $30 shipping and $20 transfer fee’s. So I email the seller asking if he'd be interested in a FTF sales (not subverting GB--just skipping shipping and transfer). I told him I had a LTCH and an 03 ffl (and since the gun is an old military rifle, I don't need to go through an ffl anyway—but I’m used to people having no idea what a C&R is).

He replied, very politely, that the gun was not eligible for FTF transfer because the gun was not 100 years old, therefore the gun would need to go through an FFL for transfer.

Aside from the inaccurate understanding for the FFA 1968 (1898 receivers, therefore guns would have to be 111 years old now)--I was surprised that a gun owner had no idea he has the legal right to make commercial commerce with his property without requiring the facilitation of a middle man (at least within state boundaries.)

I sent him another email, outlining the rights of an 03 ffl, what my LTCH meant in terms of me being legally able to buy a gun and that he was free to sale his property within state to anyone he felt to be legally able to own said gun. I even asked him to check out this sight and ask around if he was unsure.

I haven't heard back from him--but again, I am startled to imagine there are actually gun owners who are so misinformed. Honestly, I'd buy his rifle in a heartbeat if he becomes aware of the law (though I suspect it would have been sold long ago locally had he been aware). And again, this seller has been nothing but courteous with me. I have nothing against him (he's got great taste in rifles;-)--just with the misinformation he's been given.

I guess the moral of this story is: Talk about our rights out loud, it may even be the guy standing next to you in the gun store who may not know.

Ronn

Last edited:

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Not all people that own guns know the laws. I am sure they are just trying to do it the right way. Even if they are wrong about going thru a dealer if you bought it. And gun stores are ripe with misunderstanding some laws.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    It's true Ron, you can't "sale" property in Indiana. You can sell property or "sail" property only if it's your boat. ;)

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ah, a classic case of someone (the seller) having gotten so used to laws that seem to defy logic that he doesn't believe FTF could possibly be legal. I mean, after all...sell your own property to another non-felon is legal??? How could that be???

I agree that a large number of gun owners out there don't know the laws. I also think that most people assume there are more restrictions than there are simply because there are so many insanely restrictive laws on other personal property.

Good luck on the purchase!

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    The gentleman just emailed me back and is willing to sell (he may also like "sailing" too, but I didn't ask;-)--He mentioned he came here so thanks to whoever let him know his rights. It seems he’s got a few really nice items on gunbroker that I bet he'd be happy to sell locally. When I pick up the gun I’ll mention our classifieds.

Ronn

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    My father had the misconception that you could with long guns but had to have a pistol transferred through a FFL. Found out he passed up a hell of a deal on a nice service model 1911 because the guy told him they didn't have to go through a FFL.

I should correct that, he still HAS that misconception!!! I tried explaining it and showing him the law but he insist "when you and your computer buddies go to jail don't call me!!"

LMAO!!!

Same guy who thinks he can transport his pistols to the range without a LTCH.

Don't flame my dad I can cause, well I can but you can't!!

I am slowly trying to educate him he is just stubborn. Imagine Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.. He would do anything in the world for you but he is so hard headed when he dies I am going to save his head and use it as a bowling ball...

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Unless it's a situation and person I care something about, I've given up trying to straighten people out. I had a guy at work tell me my pocket knife was illegal. This guy is from Puerto Rico, so what does he even expect to know. But I didn't bother telling him which way is up. I don't care what he thinks.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Like rmcrob, I don't waste my time anymore trying to educate people. Let them live their ignorant lives. I find the biggest concentration of gun-stupid folks in big cities.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Well, he just emailed me again and said we have to go through his FFL--maybe their buddies. Say la vie! My C&R gives me lots of other options.

Ronn

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    It's true Ron, you can't "sale" property in Indiana. You can sell property or "sail" property only if it's your boat. ;)

Thankyou!

I use the for sell joke because of the your forum sux video letter. But it is gettin bad when "for sell" and "wanting to sale" starts looking normal.lol I would rep ya but it says I gotta spread more fertilizer around first...

C

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Too lazy right now to look it up, but it's spelled out in the Indiana Code regarding sales of firearms between Indiana residents.

But some folks don't let facts get in the way of beliefs.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Well, he just emailed me again and said we have to go through his FFL--maybe their buddies. Say la vie! My C&R gives me lots of other options.

Ronn

Ran into more than a few Hoosiers on GB that WILL NOT do a FTF transaction. My feeling is they are making money on the shipping AND transfer fee's if they demand a transfer at "their" FFL.
    I do not enjoy getting hosed, so I have always passed on those deals.
    Just my gut feeling.

Top Bottom