• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Decided to try it. Ran a patch through the bore of one of my .270s and was surprised to see a bright greenish-blue residue on the patch. That's the copper fouling being wiped clean. Didn't realize that Frog Lube removes copper. Did it very easily at that. Don't think I would use it on the action, prefer a good oil or light grease for that. But I like the light film it leaves on the finish, would think that's a plus for long-term storage.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I think that's what I'm going to use when my CLP is empty. Curious, why wouldn't you try it on the action if it leaves a slippery film?

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Decided to try it. Ran a patch through the bore of one of my .270s and was surprised to see a bright greenish-blue residue on the patch. That's the copper fouling being wiped clean. Didn't realize that Frog Lube removes copper. Did it very easily at that. Don't think I would use it on the action, prefer a good oil or light grease for that. But I like the light film it leaves on the finish, would think that's a plus for long-term storage.

Any thoughts?

You could put acid down the bore and probably get green out of it, doesn't mean that the Frog Lube is good for the bore. Just sayin'

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Nice Surprise with Frog Lube

I know -
    When I brought my date home I had just run out but then I saw some frog lube on the shelf and thought..........Why not?

Who knew it would become so handy in a pinch................wait..............what was your surprise? :rolleyes:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think that's what I'm going to use when my CLP is empty. Curious, why wouldn't you try it on the action if it leaves a slippery film?

I'm still not convinced that I'm going to switch over to Frog Lube, but I wanted to at least try it see what kind of results I get. I was just providing some positive feedback on its ability to remove copper - a nice plus. As for lubricating the action, I prefer the extra viscosity that grease or oil affords for the higher friction areas. The action just seems to work smoother with grease or oil, and the less friction the less wear. As far as cleaning the bore, and something that leaves a long lasting film for protection, I am always open to finding a good product. So I'm testing it out on one of my rifles. I still may switch back to my tried and true products that I've been using which are Wilson Ultima-lube universal oil, Wilson also makes a nice grease, and Gunslick makes a superb foaming bore cleaner.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I like both, EWG 2000 and Frog Lube have worked great for me. I treat my handguns with the Frog Lube before a heavy day at the range and it's worked great so far. The guys at M&J Firearms turned me onto the EWG stuff and I use it for my EDC guns.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Have you guys had bad results with Frog Lube?

my buddy and I went out to Winamac in Dec his P226 was giving him light primer strikes and failing to hold the slide back on the last round. I asked him what he uses and he said frog lube. I use milsurp CLP and had no issues. Temp was mid 20's if I'm not mistaken. He got home asked his buddy who also uses frog lube if he had issues in colder weather and said he had too.
    I had a squib while shooting, and he suggested we put some frog lube down there and see what happens. When he pulled his bottle out it had gelled up. Me personally I wouldn't rely on it if your going to do some cold weather shooting.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Now it sounds like the gelling issue you're getting is from the liquid frog lube, I've used the solid paste like stuff with no issue at all, even in sub 0 weather, I use it on my carry gun and its stayed cleaner longer and gotten clean easier when needing to be cleaned, I love the stuff, but I've not used the liquid

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Yeah I'm pretty sure he uses the liquid. I never even really looked into frog Lube so can't be for sure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now it sounds like the gelling issue you're getting is from the liquid frog lube, I've used the solid paste like stuff with no issue at all, even in sub 0 weather, I use it on my carry gun and its stayed cleaner longer and gotten clean easier when needing to be cleaned, I love the stuff, but I've not used the liquid

I was using the paste. The cabinet where my pistols were stored is in a fairly cool room (add on where we keep the heat turned off most of the time). Don't know if it was due to the cool temps, or just the fact that they sat for a few months without shooting, but it was enough for me to go back to the good ol' CLP.

VSP1340

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    Greenwood
    I've heard it is gummy until you work the gun producing heat then it slicks up nicely. Is that your experience? I've been considering it also.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I let my sig with slip 2k sit in the snow today for about 10 minutes and it was packed with snow...ran just fine. the grease didnt get sticky or freeze or anything. why fix what aint broken.

Davecz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2014
    Dyer
    Frog lube and cold weather don't mix. It was designed by a guy that used it mostly in hot wet conditions. I prefer m pro 7 and slip 2000 in that order

Tp222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Laporte
    I also was having light primer hits and failure to lock back on last round, I ended up stripping it off all of my guns and go back to tried and true oil. It probibly has its place in different enviroments but I'm putting my life on the line with the reliabilty and performance that this product can greatly influnce.

Top Bottom