Nice Article About Daniel Boone Gun Club w/Photos!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Nice article. It even includes listings for other gun clubs down here in SW Indiana! Love the photo of the Glock 20 with a little fire coming out of its barrel! :rockwoot:

On the firing line » Evansville Courier & Press

20091005-233236-pic-824601148_t607.jpg
    Bob Acker shoots a 10mm Glock belonging to another gun club member. The advice and information shared among members is as much a part of evening gatherings as is the shooting.

CHANDLER, Ind. — Ready on the left," range officer Bob Schnarr calls out. "Ready on the right. Ready on the firing line."

A group of shooters at the Daniel Boone Gun Club raises pistols and takes aim at the 25-meter targets. Loud pops fill the air, and spent rounds cover the ground.

Dive-bombing mosquitoes are taken slightly aback by the commotion, and soon resume their human hunt.

"Can't shoot tonight for swatting," Kurt Pritchett says.

His 10-year-old son, Jack, is the youngest this Tuesday night. The fifth-grader at Scott Elementary School is on crutches from a boogie board accident.

"I'm not too bad," the youngster says, noting he's been shooting for three years.

"I've hit the bull's-eye before."

The senior Pritchett, 51, is a police officer with 18 years' experience as a range officer.

"I want my son to learn to shoot the right way instead of out in a field somewhere," Pritchett says.

Jim Marsh, 84, is one of the older members. The World War II veteran is a retired electronics engineer.

"Lightning burned out our timing system, so I'm taking the board home to do the repair work," Marsh said.

"I might be up in years, but I'm still the go-to guy when something needs to be fixed."

Formed more than 40 years ago, the Daniel Boone Gun Club has about 200 members. With room to accommodate 30 shooters at a time, the Warrick County range hosts periodic competitions for both rifles and pistols.

Dues are $65 annually plus a National Rifle Association fee of $30.
    Background checks are administered to make sure no convicted felons join the rolls.

"You can pay $900 for certain kinds of pistols, so this isn't a cheap hobby," Schnarr says.

This night, the half-dozen or so shooters are practicing both quick-fire and slow-fire techniques. Many members use the rifle range to get ready for deer season.

Marsh sometimes comes here after breakfast on Sunday morning and blasts away until noon.

"I've been firing guns since I was 4 or 5 years old, when I had a single-shot rifle that was about as long as my leg," he says.

"We'd aim at rabbits on my grandmother's farm."

Genny, his wife of 65 years, doesn't shoot much anymore "because her hands are a little shaky."

"Fortunately, I don't have that problem," Marsh says. "I'm still pretty competitive, but it's hard to find men my age to go against."
    Schnarr, 67, has been a member since 1978.

"What's the most exciting thing that's ever happened out here? Probably when we had floodwater so high our shooting stands floated away, and we had to get a boat to track them down," Schnarr says.

"Now we use concrete and steel on that equipment, and we don't have that problem."

Kurt Pritchett reviews his son's marksmanship.

"He anticipates a greater kick from the weapon than what he gets. That's just a matter of concentration. I think he'll end up being pretty good."

Daniel Boone Gun Club

GO SHOOTING
    Other places to shoot in the Evansville area:
    • Red Brush Rifle Range, 3299 W. Eble Road, Newburgh. (812) 853-1910
    • Isaak Walton League of America, Evansville Chapter 4266 Bethany Church Road, Boonville. (812) 897-2746
    • Strictly Shooting, 225 N. Stockwell Road, Evansville. (812) 477-8383
    • West Side Sportsman's Club, 1000 Peerless Road, Evansville

Top Bottom