• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    We have a lot of stickies and I don't want to clutter the forum but who have you used and can personally recommend to help you start an NFA Trust?

Where are the located? How much is charged for this process?

Could we make this a sticky? Should we? :ingo:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yep, I used David Goldman as well. It was a bit pricey, but the amount of information he provides along with the speed of getting it done is well worth the extra cost in my book. And my NFA items aren't something I would gamble on a halfass trust or some DIY computer program.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Yep, I used David Goldman as well. It was a bit pricey, but the amount of information he provides along with the speed of getting it done is well worth the extra cost in my book. And my NFA items aren't something I would gamble on a halfass trust or some DIY computer program.

:+1:

He does include a wealth of info on how to use it also. Even examples of how to fill out a Form 1 or Form 4 with your trust.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Has anybody had the ATF or any other legal body challenge their NFA Trust? Has the boilerplate the David Goldman's group put together held up in court? I'd hate to give him the money and the find out that the end product doesn't stand up, thereby loosing any NFA items I had acquired by that point and possibly face more fines.
    I have no idea one way or another. As I look for a way to secure a proper trust, I'm just trying to get the best quality product in the end.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Has anybody had the ATF or any other legal body challenge their NFA Trust? Has the boilerplate the David Goldman's group put together held up in court? I'd hate to give him the money and the find out that the end product doesn't stand up, thereby loosing any NFA items I had acquired by that point and possibly face more fines.
    I have no idea one way or another. As I look for a way to secure a proper trust, I'm just trying to get the best quality product in the end.

He's been the status quo for at least 5 years. I know there was a case once about a quicken loan being challenged that didn't hold up.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    He's been the status quo for at least 5 years. I know there was a case once about a quicken loan being challenged that didn't hold up.

Do you have any details on that challenge? The only place I've seen showing that is on said lawyers website, or other sites referring to his site.:popcorn:

I've been told by quite a few people that they used the quicken trust maker, and in Indiana it sounds like trusts are pretty straight forward too...

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Are you willing to gamble your NFA items on that?

Why is it a gamble? If it is a valid trust in the state and the ATF approves the transfer to the trust there should be no issues...

I'm just wondering if anyone has any evidence of why it is a gamble. At least evidence that doesn't link or reference back to the FL attorney. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

Read the whole thread, there are no specifics whatsoever and all that happened is he had to fix and refile his trust. No seizures, no jail time, no anything, just fix it and move on...

Reading the majority of the thread leads me to continue thinking the way I have been; while a lawyer drafted trust would be best it is not necessary and most (all?) of the links go back to the FL attorney scaremongering. Even in that thread he is one of the prominent contributors and tries to drum up fear, only to admit that noone has been arrested, charged, had anything seized from a bad trust.

FWIW, I did find a thread here on ingo with a # for a lawyer in Ft Wayne that supposedly does them cheap, I'm giving him a call soon. Ack, where did I put that note with the #....

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The main reason is I think its a gamble is this:

Using a Trust for holding NFA items is a fairly new concept. Most of those who have used the Trust route to aquire items are most likely still alive. Older folks who are more likely to run out of time, most likely aquired their items individually. Its the "younger" generation that is using the Trust, which means only on a rare occasion of sickness or accident do any of those Trust need to be looked at for validation. I think itll take a few years, and a few unforunate accidents to really start seeing how well these Trusts hold up.

I just like knowing that a lawyer, who is well versed in the laws and regulations, is writing the Trust instead of me, who knows very little about "law terminology".

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Why is it a gamble? If it is a valid trust in the state and the ATF approves the transfer to the trust there should be no issues...

Many issues here in this short statement.
    1. If it is a valid trust...You don't know if a software trust is valid until it is challenged, and then it may be too late. It seems that filling it out incorrectly is the most common defect, but the program may simply be wrong. Wait, it's right because Quicken says it's right? Surely true, since Apple and Microsoft have never had a problem with anything they've released.

2. If you paid a lawyer for your trust and it's challenged, he is obligated to defend it. If it does have defects he can correct/amend it retroactive to the establishment date and you're never exposed to prosecution or confiscation. Can't say the same for a software trust.

3. ATF reviewers are not lawyers. Just because they approve a transfer does not endow a flawed trust with instant validity. You are still exposed to prosecution. You asked them to transfer illegally to a faulty trust. You are guilty, they're merely mistaken! For example:If you ask your bank for a $100 withdrawal and they give you $10,000 by mistake, you could be prosecuted if you don't report/return it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any evidence of why it is a gamble. At least evidence that doesn't link or reference back to the FL attorney. :dunno:

Anecdotal evidence may not yet exist, as the widespread use of trusts for NFA purposes is relatively recent. That being said, we can use analytical, or circumstantial, evidence to make this point: If your trust is ever challenged, and you don't have the law firm that wrote it there to take up your case, you're in a world of steamy, fetid, hurt. Alternatively, if I prorate the $400~600 I spent on a trust over the rest of my life, I'm paying $1~1.25 a month to be able to sleep soundly every night. Well worth it , IMHO.;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn: as I want to see where this goes.
    With the "FL trust atty guy route" if the trust is challenged would it be his firm that has to defend you or would it be the local firm that is affiliated with him that would defend you/trust?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    :popcorn: as I want to see where this goes.
    With the "FL trust atty guy route" if the trust is challenged would it be his firm that has to defend you or would it be the local firm that is affiliated with him that would defend you/trust?

My guess would be the FL Guy because its a copyrighted trust from him.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My guess would be the FL Guy because its a copyrighted trust from him.

But he used IN attys becuase he does not practice law in IN so how can he defend it? I'm clueless on law and figured you have to be license in the state to defend it right?? or since it's a federal issue it's a federal atty license you need? :dunno:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    But he used IN attys becuase he does not practice law in IN so how can he defend it? I'm clueless on law and figured you have to be license in the state to defend it right?? or since it's a federal issue it's a federal atty license you need? :dunno:

Maybe he'll just "assist" the state attorney :dunno:

Hope to never find out :D

Top Bottom