• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I just got a really generous christmas bonus that I was not expecting. So I want to add to my megar gun collection. I currently have a Taurus Slim as my carry gun, and just picked up a Remington 597 for .22 plinker/small game gun.

So with $500 to spend, what would be the next logical purchase for a SHTF type gun. I was thinking either a full sized 9 a la Bretta 92 or a .223 rifle like the Kel Tec SU16.

- I know everyone will suggest food and ammo, I have a decent stock pile in a bug out kit, and am using some chiristmas money for added supplies. the $500 is for a gun only. THanks.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Mossberg 500 - 12 or 20 gauge.

Field and HD barrels.

Hacksaw for when the law breaks down.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Ok, I just got a really generous christmas bonus that I was not expecting. So I want to add to my megar gun collection. I currently have a Taurus Slim as my carry gun, and just picked up a Remington 597 for .22 plinker/small game gun.

So with $500 to spend, what would be the next logical purchase for a SHTF type gun. I was thinking either a full sized 9 a la Bretta 92 or a .223 rifle like the Kel Tec SU16.

- I know everyone will suggest food and ammo, I have a decent stock pile in a bug out kit, and am using some chiristmas money for added supplies. the $500 is for a gun only. THanks.

I would not recommend the Kel-Tek. If you can add about $100 you could get a nice Olympic Arms Ar-15, if thats not possible I would look into a HD shotgun like an 870 or 1187...

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    A good shotgun is the best choice in my opinion. Very versatile. A good one could easily be had well under the $500 mark. Can't go wrong with an 870..

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I acutally just sold my 870. I had it as a HD gun, but one day I realized that if I had that and my Taurus sitting next to my bed stand and someone was to break in, I would grab the 709. I never shot very well with the shotgun and couldnt get comfortable with it, and I know that I can put the entire mag of my pistol on target quickly.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    you could probably get a good AK for around $500.

Actually I remember someone advertising one a few weeks ago for around $500 with 1080 rnds of ammo. AK-74 Chambered in 5.45x39

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If not a good shotgun, then I would save up a couple more hundred dollars and get a Ruger Mini 14, preferably the new 580 series. If thats not possible then I would go with a new high capacity handgun.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If SHTF I believe it is absolultely essential that you have a .22 a battle rifle a shottie, and a good side arm. At min. then look at a good bolt action.

I would choose one from group #1 and one from group #2 and start saving. AK-47 is your best bang for your buck, buying both is best though.

2.AK
    AR

PM Indygunworks he can probably get you one of the best prices on a AR build, but keep your eyes open here on INGO, stripped lowers go on sale all the time (21st century) the by a LR kit then an upper & stock and your set!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm pretty much with RNM here. I'd say next purchase should be a good shotty, then an AR/AK. For the money the AK is a great choice, and you can find one fairly easily under $500 now. But also I'm currently waiting on my upper and stock to finish my AR build, which without rear sight will run me currently around $605 or so invested. But also I'm keeping it pretty simple for now.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Depends on what you want to do with it. I have one of the Kel-Tec Sub2000s in 40 SW, using the Glock magazine. That baby folds in half and easily fits in my range bag or a back pack. And it uses the same ammo and mags I use in most of my carry guns.

Of course, in the end it is a long pistol more than a rifle. But it is certainly portable.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Mossberg shotgun, remmies are over priced you can get a new mossberg for 300 ish if ya shop around

AR if I were gonna choose a "battle rifle"

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    shotgun shotgun shotgun.... if its for SHTF spend all 500 and buy a 870 with a smooth barrel, and a ton of ammo..... a good sling, and a bandaleer, and even if you never can afforrd the rifle, you are still rather well armed, and can take just about any game thats out there.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I saw WASR AK's for $459 at KS something gun shop on the east side (Pendelton Pike) the other day. They also had a really cool CZ452 Scout for $269 awesome compact little 22 bolt gun...

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm thinking seriously of a Rossi duo or Trifecta as a "Trunk gun."

Single shot, but cheap and can be set up (for the Trifecta) as shotgun, rimfire rifle, or center fire rifle. Not a "combat" rifle (single shot is bad in that case) but a hunting/survival rifle/shotgun that puts a lot of flexibility into a compact set.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that I saw a Mossberg 500 HD style for $279. at MC Sports. That leaves a bit of money left over for ammo, etc. You could even buy a used shottie for $150 any day of the week, and I think an 18" barrel, new is about $125ish, giving you two barrels. Used barrels can be had, for $50ish and Mossberg is(was) offering refinishing of their barrels for $35, if I remember correctly. Brownells was offering an 18" barrel and magazine tube extension for the Mossberg/Maverick shotgun, don't remember the price. So, what do I suggest? A shotgun is something that everyone should have, even if it where a singleshot, IMHO.

Top Bottom