• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks ahead for your opinions and experience. Anyone have a strong preference for case cleaner? Anyone pop out primers first? Anyone try a generic ultrasonic cleaner? I suspect some of the jewelry and general purpose ultrasonics are extremely similar to some of the overpriced ones with brand names.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I like ultrasonic, i like my cases clean but i don't really care if they are shiney.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    It's best to decap before you put your casings in an ultrasonic cleaner. It equalizes the water pressure in the cases so they can fill for a complete cleaning.

Having said that, I like rotary tumbling because the cases clean up quickly AND I don't like having to wait for my cases to dry before loading them.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Having tried both, I actually prefer the ultrasonic. If you're just doing pistol or other straight wall cases, a dry tumbler with corncob or walnut media will work fine. But I got tired of spending 15-20 minutes prying stuck media out of primer pockets/holes and out of shouldered cases like .223. Maybe the media i have, but that got annoying quickly. Since I tumble/clean my brass one day and size/prime another, the dry time is of no issue to me

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I prefer Vibratory. I also use Lizard bedding from a pet supply store. It is a finer ground walnut that doesn't stick in the primer pockets. I also add one to two caps of Nu Finish car polish because I like the shinny cases to show up in the grass... but I still loose about 10%

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    It's best to decap before you put your casings in an ultrasonic cleaner. It equalizes the water pressure in the cases so they can fill for a complete cleaning.

Having said that, I like rotary tumbling because the cases clean up quickly AND I don't like having to wait for my cases to dry before loading them.
    :+1:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Andrew has loaded a lot of ammunition and I echo his thoughts on the simplicity and economy of a vibratory tumbler with dry media. Stick to the finer-grained media and you never have to sweat cleaning primer vents. For those of us who like to tumble cases with primers still in, then use a turret-style or progressive press to load just minutes after the cases come out of the tumbler, wet media is more trouble than it's worth.

If you have a LOT of cases that you want to render perfectly suitable for reloading, but you are not overly concerned about cosmetics, vibratory with dry media is far more efficient, dollar for dollar.

mx866

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Ive used ultrasonics a good bit. IMO, Tumblers are nice, but ultrasonics clean much better.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I can't say I've ever run across someone who uses both, as a rule. I consider myself a fairly patient person, but I don't believe I could do that.

For the purposes of reloading, "clean" is a highly subjective term. To me, it means free of any debris on the outside of the case that could create wear on my reloading die or the chamber of my gun. The internal parts of the case just don't matter. That's why the ultrasonic cleaners don't make sense for how I reload. Some folks would think the cases going into my guns are an assault on the senses, being discolored or otherwise "not shiny". I pay more attention the geometry of the case and where the bullets impact the target. I've not found evidence that pretty ammo is more accurate ammo.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    As always, thank you all for the perspective. Lizard bedding, hmmm... never would have thought of that.
    I like the concept of popping out primers and using ultrasonic, but I am not very patient and agree that the outside of the case likely has the most impact on dies and chambers. If the inside of the case looks nasty after a tumble I'll just pitch the case.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I was happy enough with the way the case looked after tumbling, I only switched after I had a lead test done and it came back higher than I liked.
    Levels dropped after using the ultrasonic for a year, so I'll put up with having to wait for 'em to dry. Besides, I can dry a batch in about 15 minutes with a hair dryer if I just gotta, but that doesn't happen very often.
    One bonus. The ultrasonic is quieter, and that makes the wife happy....never a bad thing!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom