• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I only have experience with 22 bolt action rifles. I currently own two that I have scoped. Both are sited in at 50 yards. I do not hunt, I only target shoot.

1. Savage MKIIFV: heavy barrel, Burris rings, Bushnell banner 3x9x40 scope, and 3"-9" Shooters Ridge bi-pod
    2. Marlin 925R: factory mounted 3x9x32 scope, and 3"-9" Shooters Ridge bi-pod.

I just got into target shooting with scoped rifles last summer. So I'm still learning every time I go to the range.

I was thinking another Savage, but in a .22MWR. Same setup as my .22LR, but with different optics. I also do not have much knowledge about optics, but I have been pleased with the Bushnell Banner. I also know that many will tell you to spend just as much on optics, as you do the rifle itself.

Second choice would be a .223. I'm leaning toward a Savage, but I also like the Remington 700 Tactical. Have 0 experience with either one though.

The rifle would be used mainly for target shooting. The range I frequent only goes too 100 yards, so that's the range I would site it in at. I also am looking at it uses in a SHTF situation. For me it would be used for taking game at longer distances if need be. So would a .223 really be needed in all honesty? What is the maximum affective range of a .22MWR? Also cost is a factor. Seeing as .22MWR is cheaper, and I also already have a .22MWR so I'm already stocking up on ammo. Plus I could carry more .22MWR in my load out. Also cost of the rifle and optics.

Guess I'm just looking for advice, and opinions of those with more experience then me. Not only from a target shooters stand point, but also a hunters. So I can get ideas for limitations of game hunting between the two calibers. In a SHTF situation of course.

Thanks,
    Patriot :ingo:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    For SHTF and varmint hunting, the .223 will win out every time.

Additionally, you can reload for target shooting. The price will be about the same as .22WMR ammo, and you can custom tailor the loads to the rifle.

Since you are familiar with the Savage, I would use the Mk II as a trainer for a build on a similar stock and centerfire receiver.

Josh

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went with the Savage 12FCV; heavy fluted bbl, drop box mag, Accutrigger (which is sweet!), and an Accustock. The Accustock seems like a good idea, but I have know idea how much (if at all) it contributes to accuracy. This Savage is by far the most accurate rifle I own.

P6232669.jpg

P6232675.jpg

P6232676.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I went with the Savage 12FCV; heavy fluted bbl, drop box mag, Accutrigger (which is sweet!), and an Accustock. The Accustock seems like a good idea, but I have know idea how much (if at all) it contributes to accuracy. This Savage is by far the most accurate rifle I own.

P6232669.jpg

P6232675.jpg

P6232676.jpg

How much did that setup run you?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Savage

A Savage Model 12 is considered by many to be the most accurate production rifle available right out of the box. I have two M12 varminters and a LRPV and they all shoot very well. All of them are bench guns and too heavy to tote around hunting. Particularly the LRPV which comes with wheels and a team of mules.:rolleyes: IMO, you'll not find anything that will shoot with the M12 varminters but, if weight is an issue, you might take a look at a CZ 527.

As for the .22 WMR....my experience is that accuracy is a product of the ammo you choose. I want my guns to shoot 1" at 100 yards and the only ammo which has consistently produced that have been the 30 & 33 gr VMax loads. That's from a modified 10/22 magnum and a CZ 452.

I like Bushnell scopes and have a bunch of them on prairie dog guns but I have found the Mueller APV to work very well on rimfires. Great scope for the money!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I only have experience with 22 bolt action rifles. I currently own two that I have scoped. Both are sited in at 50 yards. I do not hunt, I only target shoot.

1. Savage MKIIFV: heavy barrel, Burris rings, Bushnell banner 3x9x40 scope, and 3"-9" Shooters Ridge bi-pod
    2. Marlin 925R: factory mounted 3x9x32 scope, and 3"-9" Shooters Ridge bi-pod.

I just got into target shooting with scoped rifles last summer. So I'm still learning every time I go to the range.

I was thinking another Savage, but in a .22MWR. Same setup as my .22LR, but with different optics. I also do not have much knowledge about optics, but I have been pleased with the Bushnell Banner. I also know that many will tell you to spend just as much on optics, as you do the rifle itself.

Second choice would be a .223. I'm leaning toward a Savage, but I also like the Remington 700 Tactical. Have 0 experience with either one though.

.22 WMR is a great little varmint round for 100-150 yeards depending on what you're shooting at. It can do better at 100 yards than the .22LR as far as accuracy. At 50 yards it's probably a toss up. If you're into reloading then consider the .22 Hornet... you can reload it for close to if not cheaper than the .22 WMR. Accuracy will be better than the rimfires and you will extend your range a bit more, 150 to perhaps 250 yards, depending on the game.

The rifle would be used mainly for target shooting. The range I frequent only goes too 100 yards, so that's the range I would site it in at. I also am looking at it uses in a SHTF situation. For me it would be used for taking game at longer distances if need be. So would a .223 really be needed in all honesty? What is the maximum affective range of a .22MWR? Also cost is a factor. Seeing as .22MWR is cheaper, and I also already have a .22MWR so I'm already stocking up on ammo. Plus I could carry more .22MWR in my load out. Also cost of the rifle and optics.

The .223 will extend your effective range on varmints, probably double or more than what the .22 WMR can do. 300-400 yards depending on how good you are. If you reload, it won't cost much more than .22 Hornet. .224" bullets are some of the cheapest available and the wide variety will give you many options for match shooting, varmints, and in a pinch some larger game.

One other rifle option that will be very similar to your Savage Mark II is the Model 25 or Model 40 single shot Lightweight Vaminters. Available in .223 Rem, .204 Ruger, and .22 Hornet.

If close range varmint hunting is all you want to do, then the .22 WMR will be fine. If you mostly puch paper, none of the rimfires will give you as much satisfaction as a .22 centerfire.

If SHTF is in the cards, then I would forego a bolt action .223 and go to a semi-auto, chambered for 5.56 NATO, perhaps and AR style rifle. During SHTF 5.56 will be easier to come by, and cheaper to stock up on now. There are several "varmint" or "predator" style AR rifles to choose from that will satisfy your need for paper punching accuracy.

For myself I have a Kel-Tec SU-16A that meets my needs.
    [/quote]

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not have the means to reload, so the .22MWR would be cheaper for me. Also since I already own one, it's an ammo I'm already stocking up on. Plus it would afford me with more trigger time. Also I have an AK47, which I know is still limited on long range accuracy compared to the .223. But it's a reliable work horse, and could drop anything I would go after if need be. I also have my 12 guage with both 28" ported barrel, and 18.5" SD barrel.

I think I'm going to wait until I can afford reloading equipment, before I go with a .223. That way I can find the right cartridge setup for the particular rifle I buy. After weighing the pros and cons, I think it will be a better fit for me know. So I have decided on the Savage 93FV.

Savage Arms > Firearms > Gun Finder

Same setup as my MKII, just in .22MWR. Which will give me a familiar platform. The only place I have seen them locally is Gander, they have them on sale right now for $249 for the package deal. Which I would defiantly replace the scope.

I have been real happy with the Burris rings on my Savage, so I think I'll stick with them. As for optics, I was thinking a Bushnell 4x16x40 with red/green reticle. Acme did have them for $129 I think. I have not seen one in there for a while though. They do have a Mueller APT 4x12x40 if I'm not mistaken for $159. So I may just go with it. As for the bi-pod, I'll just stick with my Shooters Ridge 3"-9" $49.99. So that would put over the $500 mark. I think I have around $450 in my Savage now, and I have been very pleased with it.

I did notice something interesting about the .22MWR, from a recent range trip. I had a spinner target set up at 25 yards. The target is rated for up to a .44 mag. When you hit it with 40 grain mini-mags. The bullet desecrates, and just leaves splash on the target. I hit it with some 40 grain Winchester's, and it left 1/16" or slightly deeper craters in the steel. I knew the .22MWR had more punch then the .22LR, but I was surprised by that.

Thanks to everyone that replied :ingo:, appreciate the suggestions. They helped in making my decision.
    Patriot

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My 22MWR

All I can say is I had one years ago that I bought off my brother in law. Sold it to a farmer who was trying to keep foxes out of his hen house. Main reason was my brother could reload and shoot .30 carbine cheaper than I could buy new ammo. Can't remember the brand, just wish I had never sold it! It was a good rifle!

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    i would take the 223, its more accurate and will be more deadly at whatever distance you are shooting, especially if you are shooting coyotes. its better to be sure you will actually kill the animal instead of just wounding it

Top Bottom