• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you choose based on quality and reliability?

• Total voters

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Quality and reliability...kind of a wash. If you want to compare apples to apples you should look at the M&P 9C, it is about the same width as the SR9C. The shield is in a different category with the slimmer width. I fondled the SR9C in the same visit as an M&P 9C and I personally liked the feel of the M&P.

I am a Smith guy, and I am waiting on delivery of a Shield 9 for myself so that was my vote.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the way the Shield feels in my hand and the trigger. I also like that it is similar to my FS M&P 9. I want to shoot one before I buy to check the recoil. I have not shot many smaller sized pistols and the Makarov I shot made me leery of buying something small without trying it out.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm now at 300 absolutely flawless rounds on an SR9C that I picked up about 6 weeks ago. Not a single failure of any kind. As size goes, it's one of the more concealable double stacks out there IMO. Fairly narrow slide (not counting the ambi safety on both sides), and reasonably narrow grip for a double stack.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    As others have said, if you want to truly compare one between the sr9c then check out the m&P9c. I have carried it for over a year, have over 1,300 round through it without a FTF or FTE yet. My brother carries the Sr9c and I think it is a great gun as well! They are so close on durability/reliability that you have to simply go by which one feels best in your hand.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I like the way the Shield feels in my hand and the trigger. I also like that it is similar to my FS M&P 9. I want to shoot one before I buy to check the recoil. I have not shot many smaller sized pistols and the Makarov I shot made me leery of buying something small without trying it out.

Cannot agree with the underlined portion more. Smaller pistols can be more snappy and uncomfortable to shoot. If possible, get a hold of both (either from range rentals or generous people on here [I don't have either btw so I didn't vote nor can I make any recomendation]) and shoot them. After you shoot them both, then you'll know. If I had been smart and done that then I'd never have bought a subcompact for my then wife to CC. She hated to shoot it and so did I.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have shot both. The range I go to has the Ruger SR9C and Shield in 9mm and .40. in the rental cabinet.
    I am a VIP member at the range so I can shoot any of the rental guns for free.

I ended up getting the Shield in .40 and love it. It is my EDC gun of choice. I have an apex trigger kit installed and added the TruGlo TFO night sights. I already had a compact G27 so I was looking for a single stack pistol. For me the decision between the two pistols are single or double stack as they are both well made guns. The Shield is a little easier to field strip though.

Runt1122 what area do you live in? I would be more than happy to meet you at the range and let you try them both out. Shoot me a PM and I will help if I can.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    I have shot both. The range I go to has the Ruger SR9C and Shield in 9mm and .40. in the rental cabinet.
    I am a VIP member at the range so I can shoot any of the rental guns for free.

I ended up getting the Shield in .40 and love it. It is my EDC gun of choice. I have an apex trigger kit installed and added the TruGlo TFO night sights. I already had a compact G27 so I was looking for a single stack pistol. For me the decision between the two pistols are single or double stack as they are both well made guns. The Shield is a little easier to field strip though.

Runt1122 what area do you live in? I would be more than happy to meet you at the range and let you try them both out. Shoot me a PM and I will help if I can.

North Central Indiana

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    This is not an official INGO poll, there is not a bacon option. Results are completely irrelevant.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    So? Which non-glock glock do you wanna rock?
    Id go Glock 27. But that's as irrelevant as this thread containing no bacon.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    On Quality and reliability? I say the Ruger hands down...

I have an M&Pc .357 Sig so the sizes are easy enough to compare and I find that a tie. Both are reliable, no trouble with either pistol on my part. Both look nice as well. Magazine sizes are comparable except the SR9c can use a 17 rnd full size magazine which I feel makes it more attractive as well.

Then there is price, Ruger wins this easily since S&W has a premium added due to their much vaunted name (undeserved IMO as well). They feel that since they've been around longer, they deserve to be paid more for the same sort of firearms despite the lack of major differences, gain my opinion.

So as always, it's up to you. Do you want a pistol that is just as good that costs less (enough so to be able to get ammo and a magazine as well) or do you want a Smith & Wesson for the "prestige" value. I, as stated, don't mind getting S&W now and then but my first choice is always the Ruger.

I am happy to let you shoot any of the guns I have so you can compare and get a feel for them. I have a Shield 40 as well that you can try out, an LC9 and SR9c and a SR45 or the M&P .35 sig/40 as I have both barrels and it will shoot either round. PM me if you want and we can further discuss meeting. I shoot in Brazil at PROteq but I do have a car and am willing to go elsewhere too.

Top Bottom