• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Based on the presented considerations and points, my vote goes for the...

• Total voters

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    In a bit of a pickle of back-n-forth indecision regarding what my immediate next 9mm pistol will be. There are basically two mission profiles it will fill (though not necessarily both):

• "Shirt and tie" tucked-in deep concealment
    • Back-up for my EDC full-size M&P 9mm ("back-up" in the sense that it can called upon in the event my M&P is out of commission or otherwise made unavailable)

I primarily appendix conceal carry my full-size M&P with little difficulty given my body type (using a Comp-Tac Minotaur AIWB), given that my outer shirt (usually a polo) is allowed to hang loose untucked. I can tuck-in deep conceal it if the situation calls for it, but it can get a little cumbersome.

There are currently two contenders on the field:

Springfield XDs 4.0

Glock 19 Gen 4

:starwars:

I've been a longtime fan of Springfield Armory (my very first pistol being an XD-45), but I'll consider crossing over to the dark side if it'll better suit my needs in this case. You might be wondering why the G19 is the contender instead of the G26, but I'll explain further. Also, I'm requesting name brand preference not be part of your vote. I'm going to stick to spec comparisons and assume that both pistol makes function in a satisfactory manner as intended.

As I've compared the two pistols I've narrowed the factors that ultimately matter down to:

• Dimensions, specifically height and width
    • Weight
    • Capacity

Overall length is not too much of a factor (the G19 being slightly longer than the XDs 4.0), and I prefer longer slides for reasons of better controllability, longer sight radius, and higher muzzle velocity. Thus is the reason I've ruled out comparable sub-4" pistols such as the XDs 3.3 and the G27. Also the XDs does indeed come with superior steel fiber optic sights than the G19's polymer sights, and comes with a few more accessories. But since these are options that can be changed out and not a fundamental characteristic of each given pistol, I'm ruling them out in consideration of other unalterable factors.

Height
    Compared to my M&P, the XDs with the flush 7 round mag is nearly a full 1" shorter, but is roughly on par with the extended 9 round magazine. The G19 sits between the two, being only 1/2" shorter than my M&P but 1/2" taller than the XDs. Also, I prefer if possible to have a full-finger purchase on the grip and avoid the dangling pinky. Granted shorter pistol mags can be compensated for by adding pinky extensions such as the Pearce Grip, but these can make tap-n-racks a little more difficult.

Width
    This is obviously where the XDs is going to shine, if width ultimately becomes a major deciding factor. The XDs is only 1" wide, compared to 1.2" wide for the G19. 0.2" doesn't sound like much on paper, but this would be an area I'd like to hear people's :twocents: who have carried both single and double stacks concealed.

Weight
    The G19 unloaded weighs 23.65 oz, and the XDs weighs 25 oz (according to their respective websites). This is surprising, but I attribute this to the typically heavier slides in the XD/XDm line overall. However since I'm not gonna be carrying an unloaded pistol, what ultimately matters is the loaded weight. According to Glock's website the G19 with it's loaded 15-round mag weighs 30.18 oz. Springfield does not offer a loaded weight in their specs, but infering a typical 9mm cartridge weight of 0.435 oz (derived from the G19 spec data) I'm going to assume a loaded weight of ~28oz for the 7-round flush mag, and ~30oz for the 9-round extended mag.

Capacity
    This is where the G19 obviously wins out. Though the argument rages on as to whether or not a likely scenario any of us would face (God forbid) would last beyond 7 rounds (unless the person is that crap of a horrible shot). No one is going to argue against having more bullets in one's gun if physics decided to be generous, but desired capacity is ultimately limited by the added size and weight. One would think that a fully loaded G19 would be a lot heavier than the single stack XDs 4.0, but as pointed out above this is not necessarily the case. The XDs capacity options are severely limited by comparison, where the G19 in addition to it's higher 15-round mag by itself is also lends the use of Glock's 33-round magazine. (Also, the G19 Gen 4 package includes not just two but three 15-round mags, where the XDs comes with just the 7-round flush and 9-round extension.)

Ultimately, based on the spec data, weight does not seem to be a comparable factor on paper unless any of you with real-world experience with either of the two pistols speaks up otherwise. Overall height and width are going to be the more determining factors. If it were those alone, the XDs would be the preferred choice. But since the G19 offers higher capacity and wider aftermarket support, the question is if the 0.2" reduced width and 1/2" less height of the XDs (flush mag) is that much of an advantage. The G19 would no question serve as an excellent back-up to my full-size M&P, but would less in tuckable concealability than the XDs. Whereas the XDs would no doubt serve as an acceptable "back-up" (while sacrificing capacity) it would more shine in the area of increased tuckable concealability.

Hopefully the comparing factors I've described and the ensuing discussion will not only serve me in making my own decision, but also be food for thought for anyone else in a similar pickle.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The G19 is essentially the same size as you M&P (slightly smaller but not much) so for me it fills the primary pistol role better than the XDs which is a back up/deep CC pistol. You already have the primary pistol role filled. So between your two choices I vote XDs. But I may advise you look into other in the field as well. I just went through a similar situation although I went in looking for a dedicated backup/deep CC pistol.

The grip safety is a big factor in why I decided against the XDs. In the event you really need your pistol you can't always guarantee you will have a full and proper grip on the gun as you draw it and may very well not fully activate the grip safety.

The increase in muzzle velocity will be negligible from the 3.3 to the 4.0 XDs or G19. But the longer sight radius is nice, although I found the XDs 4.0 to feel front heavy and out of balance compared to the 3.3.

If you feel it fills a role you need filled then by all means go for the XDs. But personally I don't see a huge advantage for the 4.0 over the 3.3.

Maybe take a look at the gen4 G26?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Looks like you have thought this through very well. I'd venture to say you have already decided or you will be able to without additional input.

But since you posted, I vote neither. I know you didn't list it as an option, but how about a Shield? It is very similar to your FS M&P.

If I was to vote, I would go with the xds.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I vote neither. I know you didn't list it as an option, but how about a Shield? It is very similar to your FS M&P.

If I was to vote, I would go with the xds.

As I said, my preference is toward a longer slide for the reasons of reduced felt recoil, longer sight radius, and higher muzzle velocity to a lesser extent. I considered the Shield at one point too, but am not terribly impressed with the safety, as it is less of a lever and more of a switch. I've also held the XDs and Shield side by side at my LGS, and hands down I liked the trigger reset and sight picture of the XDs more.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Out of the 2, Glock 19.

But, since you have the M&P FS, why not go with a M&P 9c? It's the perfect backup to your M&P FS, and can use your FS mags.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    This is a minority opinion, but I don't do single stack 9s. The savings is usually .2 or .3 in width, little if any in height and width.

Doesn't seem like much on paper, seems like much more when you handle it, but then seems to become negligible again for the purposes of concealment. For me, it's more comfortable, but not more concealable.

I'm a skinny guy, I don't think I could pull off shirt and tie deep concealment with anything much larger than a 380 pocket pistol.

But carrying a G19 and a full size M&P seems redundant, they're very close in size. Were I to carry two guns, I'd skip down by at least two size classes.

Obviously, YMMV.

My personal preference would be a compact 9 (g19 is a perfect example) as primary, and a 380 pocket pistol to fill the backup role if and when its needed.

There are some, but not many, single stack 9s that are smaller than the XDS if you're set on a 9, like the Kahr PM9.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Out of the 2, Glock 19.

But, since you have the M&P FS, why not go with a M&P 9c? It's the perfect backup to your M&P FS, and can use your FS mags.

I'm considering the M&P compact to an extent as well. But I suppose a part of me wants to add a little bit more variety to my current collection. Plus the G19 affords a full finger grip, whereas the M&P compact magazine technically ends at the ring/pinky finger line. I prefer not to break my grip upon magazine change if I can avoid it.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    The M&P 9c was mentioned, which I believe is noticeably smaller than the G19. And compatibility / similarity with your full size would be good to have. The 9c has a higher slide length to grip length ratio than the average compact double stack, just like the xds 4.0 does to the average single stack.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm considering the M&P compact to an extent as well. But I suppose a part of me wants to add a little bit more variety to my current collection. Plus the G19 affords a full finger grip, whereas the M&P compact magazine technically ends at the ring/pinky finger line. I prefer not to break my grip upon magazine change if I can avoid it.

Mag extension.

A plus for the M&P 9c, it's already a familiar setup for you, since you already carry the FS M&P.

Don't get me wrong, IMO, the G19 is a much better gun than the M&P. But in this case, it's probably smarter for you to stick with what you already know. Especially if it's a carry gun.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I own an XDs and G19. Like them both. I don't see the benefit of the XDs 4.0 - it's almost as big as the Glock, but with less capacity. If you want something small, comfortable, and highly concealable, the original XDs is a good choice. The 0.2" difference in thickness is a big deal to me. However, considering that you already carry a larger pistol comfortably, the G19 sounds like the more appropriate choice.

I wouldn't let the grip safety steer me away from a Springfield. If my hand is unable to make a decent grip, and the other hand isn't available, I'm probably hosed regardless of what gun I'm carrying, and it offers some protection against an accidental/negligent discharge.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Mag extension.

A plus for the M&P 9c, it's already a familiar setup for you, since you already carry the FS M&P.

Don't get me wrong, IMO, the G19 is a much better gun than the M&P. But in this case, it's probably smarter for you to stick with what you already know. Especially if it's a carry gun.

I was going to say the same thing until I noticed the "upon magazine change".

Although I would say that's a small compromise.
    2149378-ScruffySecond.jpg

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Being 5'3" (on a good day lol) and 140lbs, I can easily conceal an xds (even tucked). If you are looking for a backup to your EDC (the M&P is a great choice btw, although I could never carry it) for different carry methods, I think the xds offers the versatility you are looking for in different carry options (especially in the summer months). The width is noticeable when carrying. But don't get me wrong...I've got a pair of G19s.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I voted for the G19 because that is what I would buy as it would give me two of them. With that said seeing as you already have the FS M&P I'd give a long look at the 9c. I own one and with the pinky extension I'm able to get a full grip on it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    GO THIN!!!
    xds, shield, etc.
    Tucked or untucked shirt, the thinness really makes it more practical. Between your two option, I'd probably vote XDs.
    I sold a glock to carry a shield --- the thinness mattered that much to me.

Bulldog49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Anderson
    My wife has a G19. I just bought a Walther PPQ, now she wants to make a trade. The Walther conceals better than the G19 and there is no better trigger than the PPQ. Check out Hickock45's PPK review on YouTube.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Have you rented both and tested them side by side? I rented both a full size Glock 17 and SA XDM in 9 mm recently. The XD would have been my clear choice had I been buying. If this translates to the smaller pistols, I'd highly recommend the XD.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom