• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    Just got my carry license last week (Woo-hoo! Ready for a lifetime of carrying :draw:), and I'm really looking forward to this weekend's Indy 1500 gun show. I'm hoping to find something compact and very concealable, but not one of the pocket guns that are so popular right now.

I'm thinking .40, .357 or at the very least, 9mm. I'd be fine with a .45, but the gun needs to be small enough to carry and conceal well, and as I understand it, small .45's are often not much fun to shoot due to heavy recoil.

I really like the profile of the Walther PPS. Has anyone fired the .40 version?

I'm not necessarily anti-Glock, but they all just seem a bit blockier and less concealable than some others. Still, I'm open to the possibility if I came across a Glock that felt right. Any suggestions there?

Honestly, what I'd really like to find is a compact or subcompact 1911 (think Kimber Ultra Carry II), but affordable (think...well...not Kimber). I like the 1911 design and the single-stack magazine to keep the overall width down. There are a lot of nice pistols on the market, but many of the double-stack guns are just too thick for my needs. Anyone have any experience with the Springfield XD subcompact?

Any other suggestions?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You've got some good choices listed. I'd say go to the show and handle several and see what feels best in your hand as well.

Just about all of the compact pistols are going to be really close in overall dimensions, so shooter ergonomics became one of the deciding factors for me.

I went with a Taurus PT111 (Flame Suit on) as it seemed to be the best fit for my hands in the compact concealable size range.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Good advice above.

Try what fits well in your hand. It would be great if you had the chance to actually try some at the range before you purchase.

BTW, I have several carry guns and have a hard time picking my favorite. Your first gun will likely be the first of many!

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I have not gotten my license in the mail yet, but I have been carrying my Glock 17 around the house both open and concealed and it feels great. I even keep the 17 round mag in and the weight feels fine. I can't wait for the LTCH to arrive. I got the 17 for pretty cheap and it shoots great and feels really sturdy.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    My 2 Cents
    Buy Something of quality
    Glock (personality don't care for one, but they get the job done) CZ (I own one, and probably going to get another one) 1911s. If you could find an old witness in .40 or 9mm would be a good idea, i would say one could have for 250-300 used.

If I was you, i would go to the 1500, bring cash, some wit, and handle some pistols.

As for caliber, you'll realize that a 9mm will make a person just as dead as a 45. Unless you keep shooting them in the foot, then, each caliber is equally as useless.

I am going to the 1500, not sure which day though, but if our schedules are the same, and you want to meet up and so on so you can have a second opinion and so on. PM me

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Everyone here has given great advice. If you can, go to the 1500 on Fri or Sat and try to narrow down to three choices. Find out what the dealers' bottom line will be on each gun and go home. Out of the three, you will have one that sticks out as being your favorite. You can then search the internet for reviews, although they are not helpful with making a final decision, they do help you feel better about your final choice. Then return to the show and make your purchase. Also, if you are still not sure, just hold off purchasing at the 1500.

This advise was offered if you are "type A", and need the assurance that you have made an educated choice. Have fun!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm thinking .40, .357 or at the very least, 9mm. I'd be fine with a .45, but the gun needs to be small enough to carry and conceal well, and as I understand it, small .45's are often not much fun to shoot due to heavy recoil.

Don't get mislead in the stupid caliber war, be proficient and train, train, train!

I'm not necessarily anti-Glock, but they all just seem a bit blockier and less concealable than some others. Still, I'm open to the possibility if I came across a Glock that felt right. Any suggestions there?

I carry my glock everyday and everywhere I go, and unless I OC, you would never know it. I rarely carry anything else.

Any other suggestions?

My wife has a S&W 642, .38sp +P.... great carry gun, easy to CC.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Anyone have any experience with the Springfield XD subcompact?

I just got my first XD 40 subcompact. I never thought I would enjoy anything but a 1911. I carried it all day yesterday and barely noticed it was there. Will be shooting it tonight. I really like the size, shape, and weight. When you handle one, don't let the top-heavy slide disappoint you; the weight evens out with a full magazine.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    You can't go wrong with a G19, I've CCd mine for 2 years and wouldn't think about trading it out for anything. That said, buy what feels good to you and as another user said, TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I carry a Kimber Pro carry SS, Kimber compact, or a sig 229 in 40 S&W. I have carried a Taurus 608, Star PD, Glock 30 & 23, Sig 220, and a Smith 6906. My favorite is the Kimber Pro Carry. Carry what you are comfortable and proficient with. Good Shooting

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Glock 26. 10+1 and very easily CC'd. Spend some time training and practicing with some defensive ammo to make sure it feeds well. At least 200 rds w/o any problems (FTF, FTE, etc.) and you should be good to go.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm a real fan of my recently acquired Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro. Contrary to what I'd expected, it's actually quite fun to shoot. I'm a little recoil sensitive myself, and do not enjoy shooting things like Officer's Model .45s. This little gun feels perfect in my hands, is fun to shoot, and fairly accurate. Reasonably priced, too. Worth a look to see how it feels to you.

I really liked my XD9sc, and it concealed well in a Kholster, but frankly it is kind of fat in the butt. I'd reached the conclusion that the service size would actually be about as easy to conceal, and easier to shoot well.

A 3913 is about the perfect cc gun, IMHO. 8 rounds of 9mm, very pleasant to carry, flat as a pancake and conceals like a dream. Snorko has a 6904 for sale in the classifieds, and it's also a great little gun, though the double stack mag is of course a little fatter.

Depending on your budget, if you run across a Para LTC at the show, absolutely check them out. I've got a a long standing lust affair with them, though no actual experience. Beautifully sized for a cc, available in 9mm, and I think also in .45 ACP.

Shooting3-6-10016.jpg

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    My daughter just got her permit, I took her gun shopping, and she came home with a Kimber Pro CDP II. She wanted a Commander size .45 ACP. It is a super nice .45, but a little pricy.
    Dave

Top Bottom