• ...and so much more!
  • raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Changes suggested to county's proposed concealed carry law

ROCKFORD —
    A public database of who has a concealed carry permit might be out, while bringing a firearm to a county caucus meeting could be in.

Those are a couple of the changes members of a Winnebago County subcommittee suggested Tuesday night as they draft a proposed county law that would allow Winnebago County residents to carry firearms.

“We’re talking about a concealed carry law,” said Winnebago County Board member John Sweeney, R-14, stressing the word “concealed.”

“I think making a list of everyone who has a permit with their name, age and address kind of defeats the purpose.”

Sweeney said that a list should be maintained and available to law enforcement authorities, but not the public at large.

“It would actually be a benefit to people who don’t have a permit because then people won’t know (who has a gun and who doesn’t),” he said. “If there’s a list, someone could just find out who doesn’t have one.”

Subcommittee chairman and board member Tom Owens, R-1, had an issue with a section of the proposal that listed places where firearms would not be allowed, even if concealed carry passed, such as the court house and in public meetings.

“Well, I think it should be up to the individual organizations and entities if they want to allow it,” Owens said.

“It shouldn’t be a law mandating it.”

Board member Jim Webster, R-2, suggested putting a timeline on how long a background investigation would take for the Sheriff’s Department to complete on people who apply for permits. As the draft is now written, it only says a background check will be conducted.

None of the changes to the proposed law are final. Owens asked his fellow committee members to consider them, and some others, and bring back their recommendations to the committee when it meets again in two weeks.

After that, the committee will bring its final recommendation to the full Winnebago County Board for a vote.

Still, the entire process may be little more than theater because concealed carry is illegal in Illinois.

Despite a recent United States Supreme Court ruling that the Washington, D.C., handgun ban was illegal, there has been no change in Illinois’ state statute. The statutes say how, where and why a person may carry a firearm and it doesn’t provide for hidden guns.

But Owens said the ruling did bolster the concealed carry advocates’ cause. In fact, he had hoped to have a discussion Monday night on how the ruling affects the local effort, but the constitutional law professor he had wanted to attend was unavailable.

Staff writer Mike Wiser can be reached at 815-987-1377 or mwiser@rrstar.com.

Comments (12)
    Thank you for the abuse report. We will review the report and take appropriate action.
    Loading comments...
    bu7an3
    17 hours ago
    Report Abuse I can not believe they are even considering this. This is insane. You guys need a gut check. We do not need people walking around with a concealed gun. Time to put my house up for sale and move the ^&% out of Rockford.

Uscitizen
    16 hours ago
    Report Abuse Then move if you don't like it because you are trampling on my rights!

3rdshifter
    14 hours ago
    Report Abuse We won't miss you. Move to Chicago where only the crimianls are allowed to own and carry firearms. This law is a gut check. Why should myself or any other american not be allowed to protect themselves or their family from the thugs becuase you think it's insane? Where have you been? There are hundreds of people walking around Rockford with concealed weapons.

schbrownie
    14 hours ago
    Report Abuse Illinoiis is one of the last states in the union NOT to allow concealed carry. If you're interested in learing some REAL facts about guns and their place in our society, please check out Gun Facts - Your guide for debunking gun control myth
    If you have a closed mind and you aren't ineterested then don't bother taking your time to read this free publication. By the way, I have never seen a publication like this one from the anti-gun groups. There are as many citations in this publication as there are in all of the publications from all of the anti-gun groups. (Ok, I don't know that for sure... but that's what it seems like).

OH... and by the way... I'm a police officer in this community and I DO support concealed carry*. ALL of the other police officers that I've talked with also support concealed carrry. In fact, I haven't met an officer yet who is against concealed carry**. We are NOT concerned with the average, honest citizen who wants to legally carry a gun for his own protection. As police officers, we are concerned with the average drug dealer or 'gang banger' that is already carrying a gun, illegally.

IF Illinois does decide to issue CCW permits, it should be done in conjunction with the DMV so that when an officer runs a registration (license plate) during a traffic stop, a line will come up saying that the registered owner of the vehicle is a CCW permit holder. That will ease some of the concerns of the law enforcement supporters.

* Each state in the union has different laws regulation how citizens earn CCW permits. When I lived in Indiana, I received a CCW permit there. All I had to do was fill out a form, give my fingerprints and sign a pre-drafted letter (and of course pay a small amount $10-15, I think) and a few weeks later, the CCW permit was delivered to me in the mail. I do NOT support a system like this. Other states require citizens to complete an education training class and demonstrate their ability to accurately fire their weapon before receiving a permit. I DO support a system like this. I think citizens should have to sit through a REASONABLE educational class, take a test to demonstrate their knowledge of the law and then demonstate their ability to actually use their firearm before issuing a CCW permit. Citizens should also be required to go to a firing range and demonstrate that they can actually hit their target and they have at least decent accuracy. Lawmakers should base this 'class' on the fireams qualification course required for law enforcement officers.

** As with most of the gerneral public, the different officers I've spoken with that support concealed carry all have different opinions on what is requried to earn this license. Some are very strict and some are more lenient. Hardly anyone is in support of a lax system (like the one in Indiana). Instead, everyone that I've talked with thinks that there should at least be a course like the one we've taken during our days at the academy. All of the restrictions for a FOID card should, of course, be carried through to this permit as well (i.e. criminals, mentally handicapped, etc. will not be able to get a CCW permit).

Greg74
    8 hours ago
    Report Abuse bu7an3.... if you're afraid of CCW and want to get away from it, don't move too far away. Illinois and Wisconsin are the only states in the union that don't provide for it.

Jack Burton
    7 hours ago
    Report Abuse An Open Letter of Apology to the Good Folk of Illinois From a Hoosier

An Open Letter of Apology to the Good Folk of Illinois From a Hoosier

moparcardavfe
    7 hours ago
    Report Abuse I agree that CCW be allowed. Those that don't want it should move to Chicago where it is safer, least in their minds. Both my wife and I are Army vets, I have trained my three children in the safe use of a firearm, in fact from 7th grade to college all three of my kids worked at a gun club, and are familier with many of the people that shoot. The people that will be allowed to carry are the ones that have a clean record. You are honestly safter with CCW laws, think of the 5 ladies in near Chicago that were killed in Feb. What if one of them were allowed to carry? The out come would be different. My 115 lb 27 year old daughter lives in Ia and has a CCW permit. Illinois and Wisconsin need to follow the rest of the states, and Rockford needs to be like that town in Ga that requires residents with no criminal record to have a firearm in the home. It's only the criminal that will that this law will effect, crime will drop, neighborhoods will be safer and you the ones that don't want this passed will be safer. I don't know about you, but I am really tired of hearing gunshots in Rockford, finding empty sshell casings in my yard, and drug houses operating in the open. This is what is happening now, and it's time for a change. Pass the law, let the police issue permits. Let the criminal try to guess who is armed, otherwise making the list public defeats the entire purpose.

bu7an3
    7 hours ago
    Report Abuse Where can I go to find out what is and what is not legal regarding CCW? For example, is it legal to carry in a bar where booze is served? How about School class rooms, such as RVC? What happens is I am robbed by an unarmed guy and I defend and shoot and kill him. Am I then in trouble? Lots of questions.

DaForce
    6 hours ago
    Report Abuse I am a retired police officer and I believe concealed carry could make the community safer if it is a properly administered program. Schbrownie has brought up many good points and I agree with his comments. I do feel that the classroom training on the use of legal use of deadly force should be extensive and certified by testing annually.

The use of deadly force, by law is very restrictive and has evolved over the years. Use of deadly force is nort athorized to stop the escape of a fleeing felonas many believe. It must be a forcible felony, or the suspects escape could present a danger to youself or others. Burglary is not a forcible felony, it is a crime against property. There are so many variables that it takes extensive training and constant updating. Many misdemeanors have been upgraded to felonies but the use of force is not authorized.

Bottom line is, if you pull the trigger there is almost a 100% chance you are going to get sued, even if you feel you were justified in doing so and rest assured, you will have to justify your actions. . Maybe the suspect pulled a knife and threatened you. Be prepared to justify your actions. Was the subject 3' feet away or 20' away? Was he advancing? Did you have room to back up or a means of escape? 'Bare fear' alone does not autorize the use of deadly force. Be prepared to justify your actions even if you fired in self defense.

You may be arrested if the police, the grand jury or the States Attorney determines the shooting was not justified. The federal supreme court has ruled that the use of deadly force is 'seizure' under the fourth amendment so you may also be charged with a civil rights violation under federal statutes. You foot the bill for legal expenses and any subsequent settlements.

Either way, using deadly force illeglly could ruin your whole life in a split secondand you could lose everything, including your freedom. . Lawers will take months and years analyzing the action you took in a few seconds. Happens with every police shooting and they have extensive and continious training.

Once again, I agree that CCW may make the community safer, but only if it is properly administered. We are blessed in winnebago county to have very professional police departments and outstanding officers. Even as a retired police officer, if I were carrying concealed, I would also be carrying a cell phone to call 911 before using the weapon if possible. You would be amazed at how fast an officer will arrive when you call in a crime in progress involving a weapon.

There are many sites on the internet concerning the use of force in Illinois. Take the time to research them to learn more before you must make the ultimate decision that police officers face every day.

2mstarman
    4 hours ago
    Report Abuse Really, why is anyone afraid to allow a law abiding citizen the right to carry a concealed firearm for protection after they have been properly trained, back-ground checked, licensed, and granted to have the right to carry a firearm that is registered. Do you realize that as of right now the people who do carry concealed weapons who aren't law enforcement (and there are more out there than you think) are carrying unregistered, untraceable firearms, with possibly illegal ammunition that can pierce bullet proof vests are already involved in illegal activity and will continue to do so until they are caught. These are the people shooting up houses and vehicles that you read about the next morning in the paper, and are they all caught? NO, they can continue to do such. Now if the people who had been robbed at Hilander earlier this year could have protected themselves do you think it would have happened there as many times as it had, would the victims have been so unvunerable? If someone tried to strong arm carjack you and you pulled a legally registered firearm would they think before trying to do it to someone else? The fact is the people who are running around causing the problems are the criminals, the police can't be everywhere, but legallized and protected citizens can.

Greg74
    4 hours ago
    Report Abuse CCW states that I have lived in did not allow carrying in bars. For the most part, same thing for churches, courthouses, banks, etc. When I've got some time later on, I'll look up more info online.

It's important to remember that people given a CCW license have to go through training, fairly thorough background checks by both the local sheriff's department and an FBI check. They aren't just automatically given to every mope on the street that asks for one.

rktekt04
    2 hours ago
    Report Abuse I cannot believe people are actually considering moving away cause people have guns. How foolish are you? PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE GUNS! People who would shoot you for $5 if they felt like it. The people who you would move away for are those who cherish the right carry a gun and will not use it unless that is the last resort. And yes, using a gun as a last resort is logical. You're assigning blame to guns and proving how foolish you are in the process. If the police carry guns, guns aren't bad. If burglars or gangs have guns, they're bad, so the gun is neither good nor bad, it's an object. That would be like saying you're going to move away because Rockford is letting people use sporks to eat now instead of just a fork or spoon. It's an object.

Where this becomes a major issue of why are we having this conversation, IT'S MY RIGHT TO CARRY A GUN, PROTECTED BY THE SECOND AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION. You don't need a license to use free speech, why do you need it for a gun? Free speech is just as deadly when used incorrectly, and if you don't think so, do explain the grip Hitler had on Germany?

Please, remove the silly, irrational emotions from this conversation and recognize just what you're saying. And by all means, if your rights are so disposable that you'd give them up, please move. To another country

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom