• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I picked up a Counter Terrorism magazine at Books-A-Million the other day. Inside was an article analyzing a new trend in terrorist attacks. Better-trained groups are conducting coordinated attacks against multiple targets to spread response forces and reinforce one another. Examples given were the Mumbai, India attack and several attacks in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One of the points the author(s) made, was that security officers and armed private citizens can disrupt such attacks if they respond properly to them. One tactic which was mentioned is "Stop, drop, locate, aim, shoot"

Any comments on this? Has anyone else seen this or heard of such a technique? How would we train for something like this, absent a police-type tactical range?

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Although this isn't new news, it is something terrorists are currently training to do. Along with the coordinated attacks on mutliple targets, they are seeking targets with an external camera system already in place so they can monitor the police response. I don't have any links to verify the following but have heard the newest targets would be middle schools in more rural areas. Diversionary attack such as starting a fire, followed by an overtaking of the school will result in slower response time followed by Mumbai style takeover. Mostly women as faculty means ease of takeover. The girls are old enough to rape and the boys easily subdued but strong enough to be forced into doing the work reenforcing key law enforcement entry points and then killed. The whole event culminating in a die for Allah bang. It's a very scary scenario and one I pray we never see.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    CW, if your scenario is an accurate portrayal of current terrorist training, and I don't doubt that it is, it is proof that even stone aged, religious zealots realize what gets said on this board every day: School's irrational fear and hatred of firearms makes schools, and other gun free zones, easy and desirable targets. Way to go libs.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I know it is nearly pointless for me to bring it up on this forum without supporting articles but bigger emergency management departments are already looking at these scenarios. Your statement is absolutely correct. Gun free zones are EASY targets and given the history of terrorist tactics, they prefer to hit soft targets and cause big damage then go for a harder target and cause less damage. An attack like the one outlined above would strike fear into the heart of Americans because it would give the impression that no one is safe. Of course their goal of infringing upon our liberties would be accomplished and therefore mission complete.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    And don't look for it to happen in New York City, either. If it was me planning it? It would happen in smaller towns, in the middle of the country. Why? Because everybody in these smaller towns thinks terrorists won't go there. They all think NYC is the big target, and hence small-town America has nothing to worry about, AND ISN'T PREPARED.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I know it is nearly pointless for me to bring it up on this forum without supporting articles but bigger emergency management departments are already looking at these scenarios. Your statement is absolutely correct. Gun free zones are EASY targets and given the history of terrorist tactics, they prefer to hit soft targets and cause big damage then go for a harder target and cause less damage. An attack like the one outlined above would strike fear into the heart of Americans because it would give the impression that no one is safe. Of course their goal of infringing upon our liberties would be accomplished and therefore mission complete.

Great points yet again CW!

RepSpread.jpg

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    If it happens, it will catch everyone off guard. Once.

I would argue that rural America is more prepared to actually deal with the problem. There are a lot more people in the country, well versed in the use of firearms that aren't yet brainwashed in the modern, liberal, helpless, let-somebody-else-handle-it, way of thinking.

Many of these people actually know how to the things necessary to stay alive and make things work without the nanny state to hold their hands. And they won't be shy about profiling.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If it happens, it will catch everyone off guard. Once.

I would argue that rural America is more prepared to actually deal with the problem. There are a lot more people in the country, well versed in the use of firearms that aren't yet brainwashed in the modern, liberal, helpless, let-somebody-else-handle-it, way of thinking.

Many of these people actually know how to the things necessary to stay alive and make things work without the nanny state to hold their hands. And they won't be shy about profiling.

But a truly rural school would have the added problem that those people who could respond are much further away. Parents are either in the field, or have commuted to a job much further away. Local police and fire depts are much smaller, and most likely don't have any sort of dedicated full-time incident response team.

The advantages you list may be eliminated by the problems of being in the country.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Like I said, it may happen once, but if it does it is beyond my imagination to think, that the very next, day, there won't be plenty of people monitoring exactly who is entering and hanging around school grounds.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I think the important factor here is preparation before the fact. There hasn't been a fire related death in a school for something like 20 years! (exempting dorm room fires)

Obviously fire drills work. How about doing active shooter drills? Mindset preparation could easily be the determining factor in how a takeover played out. It could feasibly be stopped in its tracks. IMO, it makes sense to do active shooter drills when more students have lost their lives to shooters in the past 10 years, compared to 0 in fires. In the major schools shootings here in the U.S. most were done and over with before the police assembled and made entry.

BTW, obviously I'm not saying do away with fire drills here...

Also, the gubment could make this country as secure as they wanted. Do we really want that at the cost of our freedoms? When we accept freedom, we accept the risks that go with it as well. The key is finding a balance and I don't think we've got that freedom vs. security formula right just yet.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think the important factor here is preparation before the fact. There hasn't been a fire related death in a school for something like 20 years! (exempting dorm room fires)

Obviously fire drills work. How about doing active shooter drills? Mindset preparation could easily be the determining factor in how a takeover played out. It could feasibly be stopped in its tracks. IMO, it makes sense to do active shooter drills when more students have lost their lives to shooters in the past 10 years, compared to 0 in fires. In the major schools shootings here in the U.S. most were done and over with before the police assembled and made entry.

BTW, obviously I'm not saying do away with fire drills here...

Also, the gubment could make this country as secure as they wanted. Do we really want that at the cost of our freedoms? When we accept freedom, we accept the risks that go with it as well. The key is finding a balance and I don't think we've got that freedom vs. security formula right just yet.

They DO do active shooter drills now. Sadly, they don't amount to much more than hiding behind their desks waiting to be shot. They would be a little more useful if they included a teacher barricading, with plans to shoot anyone who came in the door until an all clear is given.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    They DO do active shooter drills now. Sadly, they don't amount to much more than hiding behind their desks waiting to be shot. They would be a little more useful if they included a teacher barricading, with plans to shoot anyone who came in the door until an all clear is given.

You're right, Joe, and I think there are at least a couple in Indy that do them. I guess we'll call it a step in the right direction. As you pointed out, they don't amount to much. The key is to recognize what's going on and act quickly to eliminate the threat(s).

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    There is great concern that Beslan was an "training exercise" for schools in America, England, ...

LTCOL Grossman fans here? He talks about the schools that perform fire drills and no active shooter drills, the construction of the schools and the lack of adequate cover from the shooters but all the fire codes that are enforced. Killology Research Group, A Warrior Science Group: Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman, Author - Jonesboro, Arkansas and Warrior Science Group - About WSG are his websites. If ya haven't read any of his books, they are worth checking out.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Buy this book...

books.jpg

This youtube series from the BBC should be watched at well. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4YKxBFUlMI[/ame] The part where a soldier begged for permission to shoot a little girl in the leg when she had been blown out a window in order to prevent her from climbing back in was a tearjerker. The little girl was later found dead.

Read it then pass it along to your local school administrators. Buy sevral copies and pass them out to teachers you feel would be pro-active in an attack on your school. Ask to set up a meeting with teachers to discuss methods of making the children safe. to include methods of locking doors to create time to get kids out of the room via a window. Something as simple as this latch from School Safe can create enough time to get kids out.

Products - School Safe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nus6HysIFb4"]YouTube - School Safety Video for School Lockdown Emergencies[/ame]

Of course allowing Teachers certified to do to carry would make way too much sense.

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    I picked it up at a Grossman seminar earlier this year as well as "Warrior Mindset". He is a very intense speaker and keeps your attention extremely well. Also read "On Killng" and "On Combat".

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Security has been the topic of many of our Church board meetings. Theft has been the main concern, but terrorism is also discussed....Just another thought.....Duce<><

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    How would we train for something like this, absent a police-type tactical range?

Take a buddy to the range with you. Preferably a wide outdoor range not in use by anyone else. You stand facing away from the target area. Send your buddy down range to set up a target in a random position. When he is back up range have him yell go or something like that. Fall to the ground landing on the opposite side of your firearm. As you are falling, grab your firearm and attempt to locate your target. Position your sites onto your target as you are rolling onto your BACK or other stable firing position. Being on your back gives you ability to to aim 360 degrees around you incase someone comes at you from another direction. Lay on your stomach and someone comes at you from behind, you have to take the time to reposition your body in order to get a shot off directly behind you (or atleast a well aimed shot.)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    There is great concern that Beslan was an "training exercise" for schools in America, England, ...

LTCOL Grossman fans here? He talks about the schools that perform fire drills and no active shooter drills, the construction of the schools and the lack of adequate cover from the shooters but all the fire codes that are enforced. Killology Research Group, A Warrior Science Group: Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman, Author - Jonesboro, Arkansas and Warrior Science Group - About WSG are his websites. If ya haven't read any of his books, they are worth checking out.

YES!! I've read a couple of his books, and attended one of his 'safe schools' seminars. Very eye opening indeed.

One of the startling things he mentioned was the sheep-like mentality that everyone in the schools assume during an active shooter event. Students remain seated; teachers obey commands. He pointed out that in most cases, if all of the students and the teacher in the first room targeted would charge and attack the shooter, the incident would end right there. We don't teach a 'survivor' attitude to our kids in society today. We instead teach a subservient attitude, probably mostly due to political correctness.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bikemannc
    Top Bottom