• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • velociraptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2015
    Jurassic Park
    Hello. Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm a newly minted AR owner and I've got a few questions about 'stuff'. I got the rifle, a decent optic, a couple pmags, and about 100 rounds, so I'm just starting out.

My questions are what are some good, inexpensive magazines? Are pmags the way to go, or is there a better alternative?

Also, what's a good rig to carry these magazines in? I don't really want to do the full monty of 8-9 magazines strapped all over my body at once, but I'd like to be able to do a couple reloads at least.

Lastly, slings. I've got one of these M4 Slings | Sling 101 from SPEC.-OPS that I got from Amazon. Is it sufficient, or, like the magazines, is there a better alternative comparably priced.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hard to beat Pmags. Slings are very subjective, what works for one person might be a nightmare for someone else. I like the Vickers offerings and the Magpul MS slings offer some nice versatility.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Personally I prefer surplus mags. I replace the follower with yellow anti tilt followers from Magpul.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome to the forum and to your new addiction!Great advice so far.

PMAGs are good to go, as are good condition surplus magazines. The recommendation to upgrade the follower is a good way to make sure those mags keep running well.

Lots of sling options, out there. 1 point, 2 point, 3 point, padded, non padded, QD mounting, adjustable, etc. The Spec OPs 3point will work fine as a good starter sling and then from there you can decide if you want to change. The only real downside to a 3 point sling is that there is a strap that runs along the gun that can make it difficult to use the bolt release. A good 2pt sling can do most of what a 3 point can without that issue.

For mag carriers, there are all sorts of options. Probably the biggest decision is chest rig or belt mounted. Chest rigs are certainly very useful, but can be more cumbersome. A lot of guys are going to a gun belt that has a couple of AR mags and pistol mags on it. Easy to throw on in a hurry if you need to do so, plus very handy for range use.

Here is an example of each. The top is a very minimalist chest rig that I've used in a few carbine classes. Works pretty well, but honestly is more than you need for a typical day at the range. Changing mags from a chest rig also takes a little more practice given the location of the mags. The belt is a very minimalist belt set up. A couple of pistol mags, a single AR mag, dump pouch, first aid kit (an often overlooked piece of gear at the range), pistol holster, and a place for a knife or flashlight.

Most of the reading I've done on this forum and on others is that guys usually start out with some full blown tactical vest with 6 AR mags, 8 pistol mags, and a bunch of other stuff they don't need, but that "looks cool." After they shoot with it a few times they usually cut back to the bare minimum.

velociraptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2015
    Jurassic Park
    I've never been accused of looking cool, and see no reason to start now.

I'll pick up some more pmags, especially if I can find some deals on them. I'm not sure I've got the skills to dink around with the surplus mags, so I'll stick with out of the box stuff for now.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks for the info peeps.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Welcome, sir. Put on your tu-tu and get ready to party, because AR's are the Barbie/Ken of the gun world.

As far as the sling is concerned, don't worry too much about making the right choice the first time, as you may find that your needs change as your use of the rifle changes once you learn it's capability better.

The short of that last run-on is that a Les Tam, Mike Miller, and Larry Vickers all make excellent slings, but they don't do nearly the same things.

PMAGs seem fine, provided that you run ball/similar ammuntion that does not trend out toward the 2.260" Max OAL. When you get long-seated bullets involved, the PMAG is not as well suited as a stadnard steel or aluminum box mag.

I personally run C-Products SS 20-rounders with CS springs and Magpul Gen III followers, and I have not a problem in the world with my mags.

-Nate

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Can't comment on sling and mag carriers but PMags are my go-to. USGI mags are good as well. I'm far from an expert but you seem to be on the right track.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pmags Pmags Pmags. Are there other reliable mags? Yes but why bother with anything other than Pmags if you are just starting out? I can't think of a reason.

Buy a Haley d3 chest rig and don't look back. Pricey but top quality and no bs you don't need. Throw 3 mags in it with med and com gear and call it a day. If you need more than 4 mags (one in the gun) as a civilian even in shtf then You're doing it wrong

that sling is good to go. Like mentioned above check out the magpul ms3. Also The Vickers blue force gear.

Top Bottom