• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I've been looking at picking up a Garand recently. I'm completely new to these having never fired one and I don't really know what to look for.
    I am looking for a quality shooter that i can be proud of, not something that's going to be a safe queen or something that's in pristine condition that I wouldn't be able to go out and enjoy shooting.

I would like to stay around 700-850 bucks 900 being my max on the high-end

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got mine through the CMP like WZ linked too. I went over to Camp Perry so I could fondle and drool over the exact one I wanted. It is a great experience in person.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The M1 is my dream gun, my gf's dad has one. alot of fun to shoot. Hope to save up an add one to my military arms collection. Good luck on the purchase!

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    The CMP is the ONLY way to buy an M-1. You'll pay twice as much for one that's half as nice at a gunshow or store. I always walk around the 1500 and laugh at how much people want for beat up, less than rack grade Garands.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    While you are at the CMP, be sure to ask about getting an "M1 Thumb".

I hear that a lot of M1 Garand owners have one, but I have never been able to find one.:)

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I have been looking at them too. I will probably go through the CMP too. hopefully around my birthday in may. A couple of guys have videotaped their experience at the CMP on youtube. just run a search.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    CMP is the way to go. Between my brother and I we have bought about 15 of them.
    Your LTCH works for the shooting requirement. The club can be the garand collectors ass.(Wich you can join at CMP, its $25) your best bet if going to the north store is to print off the pages(order forms) at home fill them out and take with you.

I've been watching for Garand thumb for 16 yrs or so and haven't seen one yet!

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I got mine through the CMP like WZ linked too. I went over to Camp Perry so I could fondle and drool over the exact one I wanted. It is a great experience in person.

Camp Perry CMP is the way to go....great experience that you will always remember.....an the staff will even help you find the rifle that your looking for if your not sure.....

picture.php

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Make sure you get as much ammo as you can carry and afford while your there. The CMP Greek ammo is good stuff and about the best priced ammo for the Garand you can find. Buy as much as you can afford... then raid the wifes money stash and get an extra case.
    If you mail order CMP ammo you cant go wrong either. Just got 3 cases in recently and my turn around was about 5-6 weeks. If you are going to buy a Service grade Garand go through the CMP. If you ever look for a restored rifle they have their Special Grade, but keep an eye around because you might just find one someone wants to sell that is still unfired and pristine.
    I own an all Springfield service grade and a Springfield Special grade. Both are my favorite guns, they are addicting to own and you will want another one.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Watch out for marks hidden under the stock. Armorers marked the bad rifles on the receivers under the stock. Marked for throat erosion ect..
    SAM_0786.jpg

Like this one is marked TE 8-64 Meaning throat erosion and the date.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Receiver Markings

That marking on the receiver leg is actually an ordnance facility marking not a throat erosion marking.

That electric pen marking shows the rifle (assuming the rifle is in the same configuration as it was in 1964) went through the Toole (Utah) Depot "TE" for an overhaul in 8-64. Ref: Bruce Canfield's "Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine." If it has a 1964 barrel, that's where it more than likely was installed.

I have a LEAD (Letterkenny Army Depot) 5-66 overhaul with a 1966 barrel.

My advice to the OP - use the CMP for a M1. Get to the North Store and pick up a M1 and ammo. The people there are more than willing to help you pick a good one. But be warned...one will not be enough...

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    This is a rebuild mark not a Throat erosion indication,
    If you go to the CMP they have tools you can borrow, or I take my own :)

Watch out for marks hidden under the stock. Armorers marked the bad rifles on the receivers under the stock. Marked for throat erosion ect..
    SAM_0786.jpg

Like this one is marked TE 8-64 Meaning throat erosion and the date.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Some of my favorites....

6.09M Non-NM SA
    DSC02692.jpg

4.2M Korean War Era SA
    DSC05243.jpg

1.19M 0-66 1966 USMC SA Rebuild
    DSC04996.jpg

4.66 (Very Early) Correct HRA
    DSC05669.jpg

4 Digit SA Rebuild
    DSC06148-1.jpg

Original Unfired 1952 Built SA M1D w/ "SEA" (South East Asia) Special Forces Delivery Paperwork (It was in country but was never opened)
    DSC04908.jpg

DSC04892.jpg

beez1954

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I always wanted an M1 so Tuesday I put in an order for a Service Grade Springfield and a Service Grade H&R. Hated sending a copy of every piece of ID I own but having to trust the US Postal Service. Really would like to get my hands on an International Harvester model as they were made in Evansville. CMP seemed to be out of M1 Thumbs when I ordered so I got a couple of cases of ammo instead.

Greg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom