• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryTX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Hi,

I just moved from Texas and I am looking for a good range in Northeast Indianapolis near Broad Ripple. So far it looks like Popguns might be the best but seems kind of far.

Also I read in this forum that you need a permit to transport your firearms to a range from your home. Am I understanding this right? If so, I have a CHL (concealed handgun license) registered in TX and according to the NRA is valid in IN. Will my CHL be sufficient to transport my firearms?

Thanks,
    GaryTX

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Hi,

I just moved from Texas and I am looking for a good range in Northeast Indianapolis near Broad Ripple. So far it looks like Popguns might be the best but seems kind of far.

Also I read in this forum that you need a permit to transport your firearms to a range from your home. Am I understanding this right? If so, I have a CHL (concealed handgun license) registered in TX and according to the NRA is valid in IN. Will my CHL be sufficient to transport my firearms?

Thanks,
    GaryTX

Your Texas CHL is only valid if you're a resident of Texas. If you're an Indiana resident, you need an Indiana license to carry concealed. (I moved up here from Texas last year myself, and was under the same misconception about reciprocity).(and remember, your Texas permit is only valid if all the information on it is correct. If your address has changed, it's no longer valid until you update it).

To my knowledge, No permit needed to transport a firearm to the range and back...maybe in Illinois, but not Indiana.
    edit- As noted below. Did I mention I liked Texas CHL laws better?

Compared to Texas, Indiana is even more gun friendly...almost to a fault. Honestly, I liked Texas laws better. If a company clearly didn't want CHLs on their property, there was a clear process for them to follow. Also, you were required to demonstrate knowledge of your rights and responsibilities in order to carry concealed, as well as a basic understanding of your weapon. I know some folks bristle at the idea of having responsibilities attached to their rights, but that's for another thread....

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Your Texas CHL is only valid if you're a resident of Texas. If you're an Indiana resident, you need an Indiana license to carry concealed. (I moved up here from Texas last year myself, and was under the same misconception about reciprocity).(and remember, your Texas permit is only valid if all the information on it is correct. If your address has changed, it's no longer valid until you update it).

To my knowledge, No permit needed to transport a firearm to the range and back...maybe in Illinois, but not Indiana.
    This is wrong. The law does not give going to a a range and back as an exception when you don't have a LTCH.

Compared to Texas, Indiana is even more gun friendly...almost to a fault. Honestly, I liked Texas laws better. If a company clearly didn't want CHLs on their property, there was a clear process for them to follow. Also, you were required to demonstrate knowledge of your rights and responsibilities in order to carry concealed, as well as a basic understanding of your weapon. I know some folks bristle at the idea of having responsibilities attached to their rights, but that's for another thread....

IMO, you would be legal to carry under a Texas CCW til you get an Indiana driver's license from the BMV. In Indiana, that's really the only way to establish residency.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the general consensus is that you do need a license to carry a handgun to the range. but if you are a non-resident then your TX permit is ok, but you have to carry according to the laws of TX.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

As Monterey noted, this is not correct. The rules for long guns (rifles/shotguns) are much looser and you can take those to to the range/etc much more easily. Generally speaking, you can't cart your handgun around, even to become safe/proficient with them. :dunno:

If you expect to be sticking around, just get the app process started for your license to carry in Indiana. That will allow you are carry and use them much more easily. Full Indiana codes are located here.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    the general consensus is that you do need a license to carry a handgun to the range. but if you are a non-resident then your TX permit is ok, but you have to carry according to the laws of TX.
    There's the catch, Texas law is very clear that as soon as you no longer live at the address on your license, it is invalid until changed. (at a cost of $25...$12.50 if you're a veteran).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Many of these questions are also answered in the INGO FAQ, which I highly recommend reading. You can find it linked in my sig.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Welcome aboard. I moved up here from TX a while back, too, although I've been here since '96.

A couple of other options that might be interesting for ranges are the pistol at Eagle Creek, and I've been seeing a lot of rave reviews for the Fall Creek Conservation Club. It's a private range, but if you plan to shoot much, it'd be worth it. I was about to join up myself, but with the way my workplace is tanking, I'm making plans to reclaim my Texas citizenship this year. ;-)

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    but if you are a non-resident then your TX permit is ok, but you have to carry according to the laws of TX.

This is incorrect. You must carry according to INDIANA laws. I believe what you mean is the TX license is only good at face value. So since the license is for CONCEALED CARRY, you cannot open carry in Indiana with that license. Any other limitations specified or implied by the license must be followed.

As others mentioned, if you are an IN resident you must have an IN LTCH for transport to the range. If you still have a valid TX drivers license, the officer might not catch you, but you technically would not be legal since your TX permit is no longer valid.

As a new resident of IN, I would highly recommend you pick up the Indiana Handgun Law book by Ciyou. Best money you will spend.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    GaryTX,

I live near broadripple too.
    Marion County Fish & Game Association on the West side is an option.
    ( I run the bowling pin matches there)

Also consider, Atlanta Conservation Club.

This Saturday is a bowling pin match at Marion County Fish & Game,
    you might consider attending and checking out the range.

http://www.indyrange.com

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom