• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henry78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Hello everyone.
    I've just recently gotten the deer hunting bug. My older brother gave me a shotgun for my birthday and I was just curious what the proper channels are to make it all legal. I've never owned a gun before and wanted to get everything squared away before i bring it into the house. he lives in michigan...by the way. I'm not sure if it makes a difference being that the gun is coming from out of state. I did a search for info on this board but didn't quite find anything that was exactly what i was looking for. who do i have to notify or register with....does the gun itself have to be registered, or owner only? any help here is much appreciated! thanks in advance and have a good one!
    ~Trey

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :welcome: to INGO! You'll be happy to know that Indiana has no gun registration whatsoever. However, transferring between two parties who live in different states changes the equation slightly. You should read the FAQ (which is linked in my sig) for more details as this question is specifically answered there. :thumbsup:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    The transfer has to be done Thur an FFL from state to state, not sure about a long gun but a hand gun for sure has to be done this way.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Scutter is right the FAQ is a great resource for so much info, not just INGO stuff (like rules).

Here is another great get you through the basics link.
    Just Click the state to find out some of the rules.

Handgunlaw.us

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    As was stated above you don't have to register any guns in IN.

To get the gun from Michigan, you'll need to go to a FFL (i.e. a licensed dealer) in Michigan & fill out the NICS (background check) paperwork. Then you should be good to go to bring it back here.

If it was a handgun you would have to have it shipped to a FFL here in order to get it transferred to you.

Good luck on the hunting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom