• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    So what did our well written but completely downeriffic little story teach us, students?
    Other than don't trust rednecks in Jeeps and uh... be prepared?

Trust no one.

Someone from the family should have been in hiding and covering the Jeep and it's occupants with a rifle when the Jeep stopped.

Stay on the road. Don't take stupid unnecessary chances when life is on the line.

Gangbangers don't make good helpers.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I couldn't have stayed there loadin up knowing what was coming, and never would have sent my wife to the store. We would have been in the car and motoring away with what we could stuff in the vehicle in 15 minutes and dealt with the lack. Its better to be alive and under prepared than dead with all your stuff.
    Also a couple of 4 wheel drives probably could have pulled the rv out of the way (if it would still run) and therefore open up the bridge. A series of poor choices starting with letting his wife be responsible for something he needed to make sure was getting done.
    Makes me glad I don't live in a high population(target) area.
    Any other insights. Other than have your gear in packable totes if you foresee having to BO.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think the term "cascading failure" comes to mind. So many mistakes, and not very much "team playing". Very little situational awarness all around. It was really frustrating to think about how the husband and wife were nit-picking each other.

It hit close ot home as my wife doesn't like to run gas tnk down. I usually get no lower than half, but I have a tanks worth stored.

I was happy to note that overall we would be in better shape than this family, just because I've been paying attention to what we have, we camp more, use our gear more, and have it sitting where we know to get it. Overall, I wouldn't have to "run out" to get stuff like this family did. Obviously this was a cautionary tail, almost setting up the obvious lessons for us, but it was good to read. I left it where my wife might see it and read it?!? We'll see.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Wow, well I didn't like the ending of course. But I will say that it was definitely a good lesson for the future. I need to get more of my camping/survival gear more organized and ready to grab and throw in a car or truck if needed. At least I've been trying to work on the food part when I can. One thing that I'm glad about though is I live out in the country already. The closest medium sized towns (Anderson, Muncie, Marion) are all at least 15+ miles away, closer to 20. So not too likely of a big hit in my immediate area so would probably be pretty safe just staying here on the farm and making preparations here.

Top Bottom