• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I gave my 6 year old a new Daisy buck model BB gun for Christmas. It is the very smallest one they make and fits him ok. He has been around my firearms since he was a toddler and has a theoretical understanding of the essentials of gun safety. This purchase was not completely agreed to by the wife but she finally gave in realizing how safe I am and that this would never be in my boys possession without me directly next to him. We spent some time going over safe gun handling, the functions the safety, loading, etc and then put some gingerbread men out.

It is amazing how quickly young kids can learn. He was absolutely mesmerized and has been phenomenal about listening and paying attention. The results of today's putting can be seen here.

8f43b60e375830d80ed8821bcb3df765.jpg

Add another little Indiana boy to the "gun culture." He also really enjoyed wiping it down and cleaning it as he has seen me do so many times and putting it in the gun safe in between my 10/22 and M1 carbine.

:ingo:

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    That. is. AWESOME!

That is how we will ensure that our hobby and our way of life will never falter.

Major kudos to you, sir, for being a good parent and for introducing him to it.

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    Nice, i planed on getting my boy a BB gun for his birthday or Christmas next year. he will be 7,the wife agreed on that age.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Hope you made him eat those...Grandad always told me I had to eat what I kill!

Looks like fun. I remember getting my first one.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My boy just got his first spring airsoft 1911. He's already been to the range (Granpa's backyard) with it. All gun safety rules apply to him and he knows it.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Nice, i planed on getting my boy a BB gun for his birthday or Christmas next year. he will be 7,the wife agreed on that age.

I think it depends a ton on the child. We have friends with kids in the 6-7 year old range and there is no way I would want to start training them on firearms safety and marksmanship concepts. They just aren't ready to listen and learn.

It helped a ton that I also fully explained my plans with the wife to alleviate some of her concerns. She didn't grow up around firearms so the thought of a 6 year old with a gun was initially alarming to her.

Top Bottom