• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I've never posted one of these threads before, so I figured what the hell...

I got a new front grip and a couple Russian Izhmash 8 rounders, so I thought I would post a couple pics.

P70795000.jpg

P70796701.jpg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Very nice. How much did those 8 rounders set you back? Arent they like 150 bucks each?

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    great looking saiga. the new front grip lines look right at home with the mag design.

i've been considering a $aiga purchase. was yours purchased with the AK style pistol grip, or did you have it customized after purchase?

i don't know if the 8 rounder$ are $150, but there is a 30rd drum available for around $425!

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    That is a great looking s12. Care to give us a rundown of the parts?

It's been a couple years since I did the conversion, if memory serves me right:

Tromix modified TAPCO trigger group (I think)
    Saw Grip
    Tromix trigger guard
    Standard plastic AK buttstock
    Arsenal Inc RPK style handguard
    USA stamped gas piston from Dinzag
    Couple Izhmash 8 rounders, couple Surefire 12 rounders, and a MD Arms Drum

I also ditched the original bolt-hold-open because it was causing my trigger to "stick." Most loaded magazines cannot be inserted into a Saiga 12 without the bolt pulled back, so loading a Saiga 12 without a bolt-hold-open is kind of a pain. I modified the stock safety lever with a notch that holds the charging handle on the bolt, making this a handy bolt-hold-open. Also works great once you insert the magazine, you flip the safety lever to the fire position, and it drops the bolt forward and loads the first round. I did the same modification to my AK. Its also really nice for ranges that require all guns to have the bolt locked back so range officers can view the empty chamber...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Looks good dude! I love mine. I was too cheap to buy the 8 rounders so I ordered the 10 round AGP's. I paid $100 for 5, but had to assemble and fit them myself. Also ordered a couple of MD Arms drums. Makes for one hell of a boomstick.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It's been a couple years since I did the conversion, if memory serves me right:

Tromix modified TAPCO trigger group (I think)
    Saw Grip
    Tromix trigger guard
    Standard plastic AK buttstock
    Arsenal Inc RPK style handguard
    USA stamped gas piston from Dinzag
    Couple Izhmash 8 rounders, couple Surefire 12 rounders, and a MD Arms Drum

I also ditched the original bolt-hold-open because it was causing my trigger to "stick." Most loaded magazines cannot be inserted into a Saiga 12 without the bolt pulled back, so loading a Saiga 12 without a bolt-hold-open is kind of a pain. I modified the stock safety lever with a notch that holds the charging handle on the bolt, making this a handy bolt-hold-open. Also works great once you insert the magazine, you flip the safety lever to the fire position, and it drops the bolt forward and loads the first round. I did the same modification to my AK. Its also really nice for ranges that require all guns to have the bolt locked back so range officers can view the empty chamber...

Thanks! I haven't started my conversion yet and I really like an s12 that is streamlined like yours- I think that's the route I'm going to go.

I, too, have had the BHO mess up on me once. Using the safety lever is a great idea- I think I'll look into that.

How is that forearm secured? Is it sort of a "crush" fit or is there a screw on it somewhere I'm not seeing?

Thanks!

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks! I haven't started my conversion yet and I really like an s12 that is streamlined like yours- I think that's the route I'm going to go.

I, too, have had the BHO mess up on me once. Using the safety lever is a great idea- I think I'll look into that.

How is that forearm secured? Is it sort of a "crush" fit or is there a screw on it somewhere I'm not seeing?

Thanks!

SG038, SG-038, U.S. made...

That's the front bracket that holds the forearm. It is a fairly thick, cast bracket that is nice and sturdy. Uses the same hole that the stock one screws into. I had a TAPCO Galil style handguard that had a thin formed sheet metal bracket...that thing was a piece of crap. The bracket was too thin and made the handguard wobbly. If I recall correctly, this new forearm and bracket from Arsenal Inc was actually cheaper than the TAPCO one.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Get the 8s from Kvar?

They were selling them a few days ago but I missed out sadly...

Looks like I'll be waiting on Mike's unicorn, the doublestacks.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    Get the 8s from Kvar?

They were selling them a few days ago but I missed out sadly...

Looks like I'll be waiting on Mike's unicorn, the doublestacks.

Yep, from K-var, wish I got more now...

I haven't seen pictures of the double stacks, but those quad stackers for AKs just look goofy to me. How many rounds are the quad stacks?

Top Bottom