• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    On July 1st, a few new rules went into effect for truckers. One of them is we need to take a 30 min break before we hit 8 hours from when we started our day. Loosing time and money is what it means. Anyway, I left Goshen headed to Logansport. Had to stop before I got there so I pulled in a McDonalds with truck parking in Rochester. I decided to check out Walmart next door while on my break.

Headed back to the ammo case and there were 2 bulk pack Remingtion 22's on the shelf. Bought one. Left the other for the next guy.

So if I hadn't had to take the break, I never would have stopped in.

But because I did stop, I arrived at the plant to load and they had just shut down for a problem. Sat for over an hour. Almost didn't make it back to my terminal in time. Oh well. A box of ammo means a lot!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Gotta love the new rules. An extra half hour of work every day. Woo-hoo!!!

Or it makes my day shorter. We run 12 hr shifts. The break can make me drop a 2 hour run if I only have 1 1/2 hrs left. If i cant get a shorter run, I go home early.

ifr2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    Indy
    Thanks

I ran a truck for a few years and that can be tough work. Those that haven't had the opportunity to fight traffic on the Dan Ryan at 4p will never understand. Not to mention the never ending new rules the regulators decide to impose on the trucking industry. I've done some commercial pilot work also, and it's odd that the hours of service and record keeping are much stricter in trucking than in aviation...at the moment.

Chrisw0118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    I just can't wait to start my new week tonight after my 34 off, some of our routes are so tight on time if I am switch my trailer with another driver and he is late then this 30 min. break just cuts into my 14 hours. Just a couple weeks ago I sat waiting for a guy out of Memphis for 2-1/2 hours at one truck stop when he was parked across the road at another, and yes I was at the correct one according to the company directions. When I finally got back to the yard in INDY I only had 20 min. left on my available work day remaining according to the computer. If I had to take that 30 min. break on my way back I would have had to shut down for the day and the company would have had to send out a second driver to finish the trip.

Politics out of Washington to further rule our lives!!!!!!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I ran a truck for a few years and that can be tough work. Those that haven't had the opportunity to fight traffic on the Dan Ryan at 4p will never understand. Not to mention the never ending new rules the regulators decide to impose on the trucking industry. I've done some commercial pilot work also, and it's odd that the hours of service and record keeping are much stricter in trucking than in aviation...at the moment.

I don't miss those days. I only run Kalamazoo (north), Angola (east), Michigan City (west) and Logansport (south). I run into very little traffic problems. Getting into a South Bend station to deliver is about the worst I deal with on a regular basis. Plus working at night makes it even easier.

Top Bottom