New program launching in Indianapolis to provide safe place for people living in cars

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How bad will this get before something is done?

The news put this out as sympathy for the "unhoused," but the community has to put up with the acceptance and terrible visuals. How is business supposed to deal with this?

Where do these folks poop?

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Where do these folks poop?
    $1,000 question.

During the winter there is a car dweller that frequents my local gym in the mornings. Dude is weird. Paces around the gym with his hands in the air, takes his shirt off and walks around (100 lbs overweight), clogs the toilets, puts crappy TP in the trash cans, etc.

I've seen him doing dishes at the speedway across the street.

I'm not afraid of ghosts or aliens, but I am afraid of crazy people with nothing to lose.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    $1,000 question.

During the winter there is a car dweller that frequents my local gym in the mornings. Dude is weird. Paces around the gym with his hands in the air, takes his shirt off and walks around (100 lbs overweight), clogs the toilets, puts crappy TP in the trash cans, etc.

I've seen him doing dishes at the speedway across the street.

I'm not afraid of ghosts or aliens, but I am afraid of crazy people with nothing to lose.
    We once had mental hospitals but they were abused by the powerful so the people demanded they be closed and looky what we got, more abuse and no one accountable…

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    2 words, twice.

Indigent farms

Mental asylums

It is not humane, nor civilized, to force those unable or unwilling to care for themselves to live without shelter or basic provision for water and food.

Round them up, assess and categorize, and provide them clean water, adequate food, and shelter. That doesn't mean a buffet in the Taj mahal, it means the minimums which are society has elected to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves.

For those who are simply incapable of caring for themselves, better not criminal you have mental asylums. For those who can provide for their own care you have indigent farms, were those who are able participate in providing for themselves to minimize the burden on the rest of society.

These things were common and effective means of dealing with those on the margins of our society. We have tried the other option presented to us by the "progressives". It is an abject failure! The first step is to return to that which once worked, recognizing the errors that occurred and putting in mitigations to prevent recurrence.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    So, since retiring from LE, I’ve taken on a position as the operations manager for a high-end security company in Indy. This project was brought to us by one of the bleeding hearts at one of our client sites, a large community center. They wanted to have the project at the community center. I’m glad to have been able to be a voice of reason and inform them of how many issues it was going to cause and they decided not to do it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, since retiring from LE, I’ve taken on a position as the operations manager for a high-end security company in Indy. This project was brought to us by one of the bleeding hearts at one of our client sites, a large community center. They wanted to have the project at the community center. I’m glad to have been able to be a voice of reason and inform them of how many issues it was going to cause and they decided not to do it.
    how can you be so heartless and uncaring?

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    how can you be so heartless and uncaring?
    He must be married...
    And I dealt with that crap for over 20 years on the job.

The bad part is, I really DO care, and I think most people really do. If it was just a matter of people being down on their luck and just needing a little help, I think most of us would be there in an instant, especially when they are thankful and there’s some metric for success. (I kept old blankets, clothing, shoes and toiletries in a big box in my trunk for years, and handed them out when I could. Heck, one time the guys and I pooled some money together and bought lights for one poor lady who had to roll off the bus in the dark in her powered wheelchair every night and had to traverse some pretty treacherous roads and sidewalks to get home. We put some nice bike lights on her chair so she wouldn’t get hit).

The truth of the matter is that most are in that position because they either prefer to be there or they operate at such a level that they can’t functionally get out of it, even with help, whether it be due to drugs, alcohol or mental illness. Those that find themselves in that position and have the wherewithal to be able to work themselves out of that position usually do so within a few months to a year and take advantage of the social programs offering assistance. I’d hazard to say that they are a single-digit percentage of that population.

Top Bottom