• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Nice, Im a huge fan of vortex and own a couple of their optics (vortex hd 5-20, and a vortex strike eagle 1-8). I hope the street prices are lower than this. Again, i like vortex... but i dont think id pay made in USA prices for red dots (trijicon, eotech) when they make these in china...

Just my .02

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Nice, Im a huge fan of vortex and own a couple of their optics (vortex hd 5-20, and a vortex strike eagle 1-8). I hope the street prices are lower than this. Again, i like vortex... but i dont think id pay made in USA prices for red dots (trijicon, eotech) when they make these in china...

Just my .02
    All sites, prices you see on the manufatures website is MSRP, not street price. Vortex also makes the most made in the USA red dot on the market with the AMG series.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    All sites, prices you see on the manufatures website is MSRP, not street price. Vortex also makes the most made in the USA red dot on the market with the AMG series.
    really??? I was not aware of this. Ill check them out. Thanks for the info. I know the 6-24 AMG was made here, and thats a nice scope. Didnt even realize they were producing a red dot as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    really??? I was not aware of this. Ill check them out. Thanks for the info. I know the 6-24 AMG was made here, and thats a nice scope. Didnt even realize they were producing a red dot as well.

Yes sir, with Vortex if it says AMG it stands for American Manufacturing Group. Originally the red dot was the only one on the market 100% made in the USA. After a few months, the Michigan factory just could not keep up with the actual reticle, so they had to outsource that specific part to Germany. Other MADE IN THE US" red dots like the Trijicon you mentioned are ASSEMBLED in the US with parts from all over.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Alan, I hope you don't mind me asking in this post a question or three. I was going to start a thread when I saw this one.

I have the 2-7 that you sold me on my 10/22. That rifle is more of a plinker as it is a mostly factory rifle.

I have an old Weatherby XXII from my dad that is pretty much a tack driver. I need an optic for it. My dad ran a Weaver 4X and the crosshairs are just too small for me to see with my old eyes. My brother suggested that I go big so I can see the holes punching paper at 100 yards. He is running a 5-15(which I believe is discontinued?) on his rifle that he runs out to 125 yards and he is thinking about going bigger to reach out to 175 yards.

What would you recommend I look at for setting up this Weatherby? In reality, I doubt I would shoot it much past 100 yards. My range is either 100 yards or 300 yards. I don't think we have anything in between but I'm not sure. I like as clean as reticle as I can get. I'm fond of German Reticles and/or a simple crosshair. Thanks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan, I hope you don't mind me asking in this post a question or three. I was going to start a thread when I saw this one.

I have the 2-7 that you sold me on my 10/22. That rifle is more of a plinker as it is a mostly factory rifle.

I have an old Weatherby XXII from my dad that is pretty much a tack driver. I need an optic for it. My dad ran a Weaver 4X and the crosshairs are just too small for me to see with my old eyes. My brother suggested that I go big so I can see the holes punching paper at 100 yards. He is running a 5-15(which I believe is discontinued?) on his rifle that he runs out to 125 yards and he is thinking about going bigger to reach out to 175 yards.

What would you recommend I look at for setting up this Weatherby? In reality, I doubt I would shoot it much past 100 yards. My range is either 100 yards or 300 yards. I don't think we have anything in between but I'm not sure. I like as clean as reticle as I can get. I'm fond of German Reticles and/or a simple crosshair. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't get my notification that there were posts here.

For not shooting much past 100 yards you don't need a ton of zoom. I'm kind of surprised your brother is thinking of going past 15x so he can shoot 175 yards. I've had 15x well beyond 1k yards.

If you wanted to go with a higher zoom, the down side to that is you lose the ability to shoot close range, so I would keep it moderate. The closest I will be able to get you to a simple crosshair will be a BDC which I HIGHLY recommend for any 22LR shooting past 50 yards.

What price range would you like to be in?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hey Alan! Any feedback you have gotten on the Razor LHT’s? Looking at them for a varmint rifle.
    They are absolutely phenomenal. I personally run 4 of the 50mm versions. The 44mm is more popular, but in my eyes, the weight difference is not much, the price difference is not much, the mounting height is a mute point because most rifles take the same ring height for 44mm as they do 50mm, and the centerline of the tube is what matters, so I don't see a situation with a hunting type scope where extra light transmission would be a down side. I always have loved the G4I reticle for a hunting scope.

Another cool thing about that particular scope is they come with a free custom ballistics tape. I've always been hesitant of this type of thing because I tried them 20 years ago when technology was not what it is today, and they were always way off. I did one on my first LHT (28 nosler), zeroed, and went straight to 700 yds, and shot a 4 inch group less than .1 mil (50 MM has MRAD clicks) off of bull so it lined up as good as possible. Once I get a chance I will be doing a tape on my other LHT's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry for the delay, I didn't get my notification that there were posts here.

For not shooting much past 100 yards you don't need a ton of zoom. I'm kind of surprised your brother is thinking of going past 15x so he can shoot 175 yards. I've had 15x well beyond 1k yards.

If you wanted to go with a higher zoom, the down side to that is you lose the ability to shoot close range, so I would keep it moderate. The closest I will be able to get you to a simple crosshair will be a BDC which I HIGHLY recommend for any 22LR shooting past 50 yards.

What price range would you like to be in?
    I haven't really thought too much about a price range. I know I don't want to spend $700 on an optic for that set up. Let's cap it at $350 give or take.

And I was a little surprised to about my brother. I had a 3-9 on my AR and I had no issues out to 200 and beyond. I think he is thinking about being able to watch the hole appear in the paper at those distances.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I haven't really thought too much about a price range. I know I don't want to spend $700 on an optic for that set up. Let's cap it at $350 give or take.

And I was a little surprised to about my brother. I had a 3-9 on my AR and I had no issues out to 200 and beyond. I think he is thinking about being able to watch the hole appear in the paper at those distances.

This is what I would use if your wanting more zoom. I dont think you will like the reticle. I like a reticle that give me information, then I can decide if I want to use it, more than a reticle that gives me no info.

Assuming you don't care for the above reticle, I would go with this.

To be honest, for your task, you don't need to spend the extra money for the diamondback even if it is in your price range. The only place the Crossfire is lacking is, you will probably have to dial and hold over if you go to 300. Most 22lr's have 52 moa drop from 50yds to 300. The 4-12 is lacking in that department

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is what I would use if your wanting more zoom. I dont think you will like the reticle. I like a reticle that give me information, then I can decide if I want to use it, more than a reticle that gives me no info.

Assuming you don't care for the above reticle, I would go with this.

To be honest, for your task, you don't need to spend the extra money for the diamondback even if it is in your price range. The only place the Crossfire is lacking is, you will probably have to dial and hold over if you go to 300. Most 22lr's have 52 moa drop from 50yds to 300. The 4-12 is lacking in that department
    Thanks! You are right, the Crossfire reticle is more my style. I should probably learn how to dope and write up cards and all that, but I'm not a serious rifle guy. I just want to few firearms I have to be ready to go if I decide I want to take them out or share with someone or teach a grandkid to shoot.

I know what my brother said, but taking that out of the equation, what scope would you recommend for this .22 that would be used for bench shooting at some distance? My 10/22 fills the plinker/hunting/Revere's Rider role.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks! You are right, the Crossfire reticle is more my style. I should probably learn how to dope and write up cards and all that, but I'm not a serious rifle guy. I just want to few firearms I have to be ready to go if I decide I want to take them out or share with someone or teach a grandkid to shoot.

I know what my brother said, but taking that out of the equation, what scope would you recommend for this .22 that would be used for bench shooting at some distance? My 10/22 fills the plinker/hunting/Revere's Rider role.

Taking what he said out of the equation, I would go with what he has. Its plenty of zoom, plenty of travel, plenty of glass quality (assuming it's the midway excluding I think it is. I dont remember any other 3x zoom range scopes).

If he wants more zoom, this is the 4x zoom range version of what he has.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Taking what he said out of the equation, I would go with what he has. Its plenty of zoom, plenty of travel, plenty of glass quality (assuming it's the midway excluding I think it is. I dont remember any other 3x zoom range scopes).

If he wants more zoom, this is the 4x zoom range version of what he has.

That HST is the one he is looking at. But he is in a different income bracket then me, lol. And he's putting it on a Ruger Precision Rifle.

When you say go with what he has, what do you mean? Sorry about all the questions, I get confused easily.

LuckySarge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Columbia City
    The only ones made here are the AMG. No optics companies manufacture in the US outside a select few from Vortex. A lot of companies assemble here with parts sourced overseas.
    Truly sad that the finest US companies are just go betweens for products from another country but I understand it. When I go to buy a quick change tool post for a lathe I have a choice of US made for 1/3 more than one from China. I buy the more expensive US Aloris but it sure does hit the pocketbook.

Top Bottom