• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Gunny's on again at 9pm, than at 12/1 am.

8pm and 12am look to be reruns of the machine gun show last week, but the one on after that is TANKS!

HOO RAH! (can't really say that, not having served, but Gunny inspires me. :rockwoot:)

Josh <><

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yesterday afternoon was a good time. I went to the range and shot with my father. My wife went to her sister's to play cards and I got to watch "Lock N Load" for a couple of hours. Life is good!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Just saw the one about pistols.

Gunny's favorite is the 1911 and he does best with it, but he's a Glock representative! :lol: He plugged the G18 at the end of the episode.

He didn't have good balance shooting the .44 mag - he was kinda' squatting to shoot ballistics gel, and fell on his butt! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's quite a character, and coming into his own - something I don't think Mail Call let him do (though that's his personal Jeep on that show).

As well, it seems he was allowed to improvise his character on Full Metal Jacket.

He was discharged due to injuries received while deployed, received the Vietnam Medal of Valor (I believe that's what it's called), and was the only retired Marine to ever be promoted (Staff Sergeant to Gunnery Sergeant).

Some folks can't stand his persona, and I'll grant you it gets a little grating, but he seems to be leaving that behind.

Although, I tend to think that if he's been decorated and is some sort of war hero with wounds sustained, he's earned the right to act whichever way he wants.

I personally find him funny as all heck.

Josh <><

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    The only thing he does that drive me crazy is his choice in hearing protection. If he is "teaching" us about weapons atleast use proper gear.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    The funny one in the Tank show is when Gunny is in the one tank or tank destroyer(I think it is the Hellcat) and the blast from the gun blows his hat off. The look on his face is priceless. Afterwords, you can still tell his bell is still ringing. Funny as hell. I love this man. Had to watch FMJ again just to see Gunny in his prime!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The only thing he does that drive me crazy is his choice in hearing protection. If he is "teaching" us about weapons atleast use proper gear.

The hearing protection I've seen him wearing appears to be custom fit, deep ear canal plugs that have sound cut-off amplifiers in them.

Phil Collins uses much the same type... they look the same anyway. Like miniature hearing aides.

Josh <><

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just saw the one about pistols.

Gunny's favorite is the 1911 and he does best with it, but he's a Glock representative! :lol: He plugged the G18 at the end of the episode.

He didn't have good balance shooting the .44 mag - he was kinda' squatting to shoot ballistics gel, and fell on his butt! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's quite a character, and coming into his own - something I don't think Mail Call let him do (though that's his personal Jeep on that show).

As well, it seems he was allowed to improvise his character on Full Metal Jacket.

He was discharged due to injuries received while deployed, received the Vietnam Medal of Valor (I believe that's what it's called), and was the only retired Marine to ever be promoted (Staff Sergeant to Gunnery Sergeant).

Some folks can't stand his persona, and I'll grant you it gets a little grating, but he seems to be leaving that behind.

Although, I tend to think that if he's been decorated and is some sort of war hero with wounds sustained, he's earned the right to act whichever way he wants.

I personally find him funny as all heck.

Josh <><

While I appreciate R. Lee Ermey's honorable service, I think you go overboard in your excitement to puff him up. He did not receive wounds in combat, if so he would have been awarded the Purple Heart. He was not. He was injured while on duty and medically retired. He was given an honorary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant. He did not receive any U.S. awards for valor. He received the Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm. The Vietnam Gallantry Cross is a military decoration of South Vietnam which was established in August 1950. Also known as the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, the Gallantry Cross is awarded to any military personnel who have accomplished deeds of valor or displayed heroic conduct while fighting an enemy force.

All that being said, he is a big supporter of our armed forces and gun rights. I really like his shows. He is a hoot! I'll reiterate that I do not intend to demean his service, rather I commend him for his military service. I just want to set the record straight. I think he would agree that he wouldn't want to be mistakenly identified with those wounded and killed in combat who received the Purple Heart.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    The funny one in the Tank show is when Gunny is in the one tank or tank destroyer(I think it is the Hellcat) and the blast from the gun blows his hat off. The look on his face is priceless. Afterwords, you can still tell his bell is still ringing. Funny as hell. I love this man. Had to watch FMJ again just to see Gunny in his prime!!

I remember that, it was hilarious. I also liked the pistol episode where they showed a slow-motion capture of the Glock 18 firing. You could see the dust-cover jiggling like jello with each shot fired showing how much give polymer has.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Mike,

I don't understand the difference between gallantry and valor. Thought they were the same thing.

As well, I read that he was injured while deployed to 'Nam and wondered why he didn't have any Purple Hearts.

I have never been in the military, so if you can clear these up for me, please do so. I just relayed the facts as I understood them. Now, I'm just confuzzled!

Josh <><

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    Josh, if you watch the pistol one again, It looks to me he just has brass in his ears. I've seen this in other shows also. That is what i was talking about.

Btw. i've used brass or cig butts before and it is still better than nothing.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mike,

I don't understand the difference between gallantry and valor. Thought they were the same thing.

As well, I read that he was injured while deployed to 'Nam and wondered why he didn't have any Purple Hearts.

I have never been in the military, so if you can clear these up for me, please do so. I just relayed the facts as I understood them. Now, I'm just confuzzled!

Josh <><

Josh,

I simply wanted to clarify the actual name of the award that was received by R. Lee Ermey. You might think that it is splitting hairs, but it is important to some folks, like me. The words "wounds and injuries" do not have the same definition to a soldier in a combat zone as to a civilian. The Purple Heart is awarded to those who receive wounds as a direct result of combat action. Injuries can happen to a soldier in a combat zone because of accidents that are not the direct result of enemy action. For example, you could be in a combat zone and doing your duty while driving a truck and have a blowout. You could be severly injured or killed and you would not be eligible for the award of the Purple Heart.

Got it now maggot? Well drop and give me 25!:D

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    I enjoy the show! Not so much for gunny but he can be entertaining. I've seen the machine gun episode, tank episode, and I think the first one but can't remember the point of that one. The first episode may have been a history of firearms or something.

Top Bottom