• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ill be the Debbie Downer.... govt should have no say in this affair. The selfish part of me likes the law, but the idealistic part of me can't allow it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ill be the Debbie Downer.... govt should have no say in this affair. The selfish part of me likes the law, but the idealistic part of me can't allow it.

Gotta agree with Kut on this one. I will add that it is silly it is even an issue.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I cannot even imagine any cop actually busting another cop for carrying off duty - regardless of what the law is. If some cop did this they better hope they never need "back up" some dark night.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We can also marry our first cousins. There's a complete ban in Kentucky....ironically.

That is because down there somebody felt it was enough of a problem that they needed to be specific. Around here people don't even know if there is a problem because nobody asks. Or have just lost track.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is sort of an antiquated state law when the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) was passed at the Federal level in 2004 (and has had 2 updates 2010 and 2013) allowing all LEO's Fed, state and local (if they met 6 basic criteria) allowing them to carry in all 50 states and US Territories. So I would say whoever passed that was asleep at the wheel.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This is sort of an antiquated state law when the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) was passed at the Federal level in 2004 (and has had 2 updates 2010 and 2013) allowing all LEO's Fed, state and local (if they met 6 basic criteria) allowing them to carry in all 50 states and US Territories. So I would say whoever passed that was asleep at the wheel.
    LEOSA doesn't permit carry in private establishments which ban guns. The KY law apparently does as it is in response to off duty officers being trespassed.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    LEOSA doesn't permit carry in private establishments which ban guns. The KY law apparently does as it is in response to off duty officers being trespassed.

Ah, misunderstood. Thought KY was like IN as signs not the wieght of the law. My bad

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    it is, until you say no to the property representative, then you can be trespassed cop or not!
    Never said that, Off duty is off duty which is why one would be using LEOSA to carry. Unless on official duty don't know but maybe a few knuckle head LEO's that would even entertain arguing that point when off duty with a property owner.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What about if a person is undercover. Or is THE Sheriff or the Chief. Is there ever a point where these folks are actually 'off duty'?

Yes obviously you dont work 24/7 but you could scenario it to death. I always say off duty is off but let's throw this out there. Scenario 1 you work for an agency the REQUIRES you to carry off duty and extends your SOA to 24/7 or say a US Marshal 1811 with LEAP pay then no you could say not really ever off duty.

An undercover guy well they can go from working their leads to not to something happens they see to being back in role so there's that but being undercover if they are called on being armed and asked to leave can't very well say "I'm the 5-0 do you still want me to leave" etc.

Its ultimately I up to a local prosecutor but I don't have a LEO getting that much grief and if they did most probably aren't going to spit the property owner if they truly are on "their time" and even if it escalated to the local PD gets called I have it getting quashed way before that point.

Some might not agree buy just explaining what would probably play out IMHO.

Top Bottom